You won't believe what we saw last night!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were driving to the store last night through the neighborhood, admiring the Halloween displays people have up and we saw......

Someone has their Christmas tree up already!!!!!

Yes, we're sure it was a Christmas tree and not a Halloween tree. It was multi-colored lights, and there were red and green lights on the mantle.

I'm all about Christmas and all - we both are actually - but come on! I understand, and even get excited about seeing Christmas stuff in stores. But a TREE in October???

.....And then we woke to snow falling and about 1" on the ground and I commented that the people with the Christmas tree must really feel like it's right now! (And this was while Earl played "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" on his computer
)

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe they didn't take it down from last year! I have drove by some houses in late May before and seen Christmas stuff still in their yards!! I think it's odd too. Maybe they are super religious and are counter attacking Halloween with a Christmas tree???

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LOL I knew someone that kept a tree up all year but would change out the ornaments and decorations for every holiday.

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That`s just crazy!
I decorate a week before Christmas because it just doesn`t seem special if you do it too early and are looking at the tree for weeks

My dad used to really annoy me when I was little by not getting the tree until Christmas eve!!!
I always thought we weren`t going to get one

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a young lady in Dallas who was suffering from a brain tumor. There was nothing left to do for her, so they ask her for a list of things she wanted to do. One of them was go Trick or Treating.
So the neighbors got together and put on a special Trick or Treat night for her earlier this month. All of the homes were decorated, probably more than usual, and the occupants dressed up. Lots of candy and good spirits. She passed away a week ago.

So there may be a good reason the tree is up now and we just don't know it.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now, I LOVE Christmas and wish I could decorate year round, but I don't and yes it seems a BIT early to have a tree up!

And Heidi, I'm VERY jealeous of your snow

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're ever in Seattle and you ride the monorail from downtown to Seattle Center, you will pass by The Grosvenor House.
If you look as you pass by, you will see, in the livingroom window of one of the apartments on the 7th floor, a decorated Christmas tree that has stood there for at least 35 years (probably more).

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Funny you should mention that!

A couple of days ago I was actully thinking that maybe I should put up a tree this year and even considered going to the storage room to dig out my tree and decorations to get it started, LOL

But today I decided that I'm not putting up a tree because I don't really have the room and what goes up has to come down and taking down a tree and packing up all of the ornaments isn't nearly as fun as putting it up!

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A Christmas tree in October & note, you don't know for sure how long it's actually been up...well, there might be a good reason for it...

AnneRiceBowl - so when did we meet? Must've been back in the 80's...that's when we had the Tree For All Seasons. Cat-proof ornaments!

I'm an older person, and I've watched not only the start of Xmas selling season move from December to September, but also holidays that used not to be "marketed" at all get their Hallmark cards assigned. Remember when Thanksgiving didn't involve decorations - other than the edible ones? Madison Avenue and Martha Stewart have a lot to answer for IMO!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

We had a young lady in Dallas who was suffering from a brain tumor. There was nothing left to do for her, so they ask her for a list of things she wanted to do. One of them was go Trick or Treating.
So the neighbors got together and put on a special Trick or Treat night for her earlier this month. All of the homes were decorated, probably more than usual, and the occupants dressed up. Lots of candy and good spirits. She passed away a week ago.

So there may be a good reason the tree is up now and we just don't know it.
How wonderful of the neighbors to do that for her.
You're right, there may be more to it than we know.

But if there isn't...well, it seems too darn early to do it to me. I put our tree up the day after Thanksgiving. We decided last night to do it the Sunday before since Earl's mother is coming to visit that week, and I just know that it's going to feel weird to be eating turkey dinner with the tree already up.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
(Rant Warning!)
>.<! I hate seeing Christmas coming earlier and earlier due to marketing. Really, it's all for profit nowadays. Whatever happened to waiting until after Thanksgiving to go Christmas shopping? I remember when my Mom couldn't wait for the day after Thanksgiving and probably every other parent out there in the 90s. To be honest, it's just too much Christmas for me, not that I hate it, I just don't like it getting earlier and practically ruining the other holidays. Yeesh... So much for the true Christmas spirit. And do people really have to leave their decorations up all year?! I can understand if they can't get them down but asking a good neighbor or friend to help isn't a bad idea.
(End Rant)

Mom of 4, that was nice of the family, friends and neighbors to do that for her. And you're right, there may be a good reason. I've heard of one family having their Christmas tree up until the father got back home safely from Iraq.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The one year we put up Christmas lights, we just left them up. I can't remember if they lasted a year, but we turned them on for parties. That was fun. I do know they came down on their own.

Tricia

worriedmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

We were driving to the store last night through the neighborhood, admiring the Halloween displays people have up and we saw......

Someone has their Christmas tree up already!!!!!

Yes, we're sure it was a Christmas tree and not a Halloween tree. It was multi-colored lights, and there were red and green lights on the mantle.

I'm all about Christmas and all - we both are actually - but come on! I understand, and even get excited about seeing Christmas stuff in stores. But a TREE in October???

.....And then we woke to snow falling and about 1" on the ground and I commented that the people with the Christmas tree must really feel like it's right now! (And this was while Earl played "It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas" on his computer
)
Wow that is pretty incredible.
Hey, we have been visiting in Parker the last two weeks. It was so neat to wake up to a blanket of snow (we do not live in a place that gets snow except ever several years). My kids were SO excited to build snow forts and such.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My father (who was born in 1921, in an extremely rural area in the Kentucky hills) says that it was the opposite when he was a kid: there was no sign of Christmas on December 24th, but by the time the kids woke up on the morning of the 25th, there was a tree with candles (real ones!
) on it, and presents on the floor underneath. The presents were not wrapped, and usually weren't even addressed -- they were all for everybody. So he grew up believing Santa brought not just the presents, but the tree, too!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

I've heard of one family having their Christmas tree up until the father got back home safely from Iraq.
I did that one year when DH was away. We had Christmas in March. I guess they could be having Christmas early for a reason too.

I've always been aggravated by Christmas and every other holiday being over marketed. Especially the ones that have spiritual roots becoming nothing but a way to line someone else's' pockets!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My father (who was born in 1921, in an extremely rural area in the Kentucky hills) says that it was the opposite when he was a kid: there was no sign of Christmas on December 24th, but by the time the kids woke up on the morning of the 25th, there was a tree with candles (real ones!
) on it, and presents on the floor underneath. The presents were not wrapped, and usually weren't even addressed -- they were all for everybody. So he grew up believing Santa brought not just the presents, but the tree, too!
That was the way my mom grew up, only my grandfather would put sheets in the doorway that separated the livingroom and dining room (everyone would go in the back door) and he would spend a week setting up not only the tree but a christmas yard that covered half the room! I have seen pictures of them, and they were incredible! My granddad took credit for the yard, but always gave Santa credit for the tree and presents.

Oh, in my home town, we have a Christmas open house tour which starts sometime around halloween where people decorate their houses and let the public in just to look or to get ideas for their own house. Most of the houses are older though and are on the historical registry. I've always wanted to go, but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable wandering around someone elses house.

oscarsmommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

Now, I LOVE Christmas and wish I could decorate year round, but I don't and yes it seems a BIT early to have a tree up!

And Heidi, I'm VERY jealeous of your snow
I am so jealous too!

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well I did see they are sending a bunch of the national guard to Iaq so maybe it was someones family who is being sent over and won't be here for Christmas...