Can I walk this far?

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So, since my car is busted..I was thinking I would walk home from work. I can't drive to the gym without my car..so I was thinking walking home would be a good workout..

It is 3.5 miles from work to here..I can't think of how far that is in my mind.

I am fairly fit and workout regularily...do you think I can walk this? And I wonder how long it would take

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Yep, with no problem. I would guess, depending on speed, 40-60 minutes.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Download Google Earth and search for your city then count th blocks between you and your destination.

http://earth.google.com/download-earth.html

3.5 miles is not really all that far. We've become spoiled and lazy because of technology so even a mile seems like a long way to walk. Not even 100 years ago people were walking 10 times that to get to where they wanted to go and years before that if you couldn't afford to own a horse you hoofed it everywhere you wanted to go by foot. What takes us a few hours to drive took people of ages past a whole day to walk.

Just wear a good pair of walking shoes.

I don't know how long it will take. I guess it depends on how fast you walk, how many rest periods you take if any and how long your strides are.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could do it. I would agree with Abby'sMom that it would take about an hour. Do you have a bike?? I used to ride my bike and could go about 10-15 miles in an hour and a half.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That shouldn't be a problem, provided you have comfortable shoes. Most people walk at a speed of about 4.3 m.p.h., so Karen's estimate sounds right.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check the weather for the next couple of days. If its still warm, then go a head and walk or bike if you have a bike.

Like Abbysmom said though if you walk it, count on an hour.

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on how fast you walk, make sure you wear some good shoes, and it will probably take you closer to an hour for that distance. You will not have to workout after that!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, four years ago, I walked 3.6 miles for a breast cancer fundraiser, and I've never worked out regularly in my life. Granted, it was very, very hard for me... but I was so sedentary. I'm sure you'll have no trouble! Go for it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it was raining, so I got a ride instead

I will try it someday though I promise!

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I used to walk about 3 miles to my bus stop and back every day... takes some time but it felt so good to get moving! It will deffinatley take about an hour though so plan ahead!

Good luck!