Why so darn difficult?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have just wasted ten dollars on wet food Popsie won't eat.
First I bought a 12 pack of friskies and he won't even touch it. It seems the only friskies food he'll eat is the prime filets and like I've said in the behavioral forum, he just licks up all the gravy and won't eat the actual food. Then I bought him a 12 pack of whiskas pouches and he won't eat any of those either. I get flavors I know he likes, chicken,and turkey but he just won't eat them!!! So finally I just bought him some fancy feast because he's eaten those with no problem before. He never used to be this picky. Must be old age.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How old is he? Perhaps he only eats soft food because he has difficulty chewing the more solid ones.

G

ghostuser

I know the feeling.. Chase used to devour anything and everything, and now I routinely waste money on trying anything new, and even waste the things he loves often enough when he refuses to touch them at random..

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not try better quality brands? They smell a lot better then the low end brands, so maybe he'll be more encouraged to munch on them.

The cheap brands in gravy always remind me of the canned soups with the unidentifiable 'meat' chunks in them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know. I might just start feeding him canned pumpkin instead of wet food for his consipation.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
cats are obligate carnivores, and while pumpkin might be helpful, kitty certainly shouldn't be living solely off of it.

as far as the foods go, depending on where you got it, you can return or exchange it.
We have a pet food express here and I returned an entire bag of raw food after Berach threw up the lamb. they replaced it no problem and I didn't even have a reciept.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why don't you buy the individual cans instead of the 12-pack? That's what I do when I'm looking for a new flavor.

My guys are pretty fussy too. They like Friskies and Fancy Feast for wet and only a few flavors of Natural Balance and Nutro (indoor) canned. Most recently they decided Meow Mix is icky, so I have to wait a while before buying some more pouches. I gave up the experimenting with new flavors/brands a while after the recalls. They eat a good dry food, so I'm not worried if their wet is not considered the best.

Have you tried the Fancy Feast "Marinated Morsels"? They are tiny bite sized pieces in gravy.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know the feeling. My lucky will only eat Evo and Chicken soup dry. I have bought so many kinds of high quality wet, she won't touch any of them, she won't eat raw, but the good side is our semi-feral Momma, I'm feeding, is more than happy to eat them all

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought my cat the Nutro Natural wet food for kittens and she didn't like it that much. She ate it, but it obviously was not her favorite.

She loves Fancy Feast though. She always licks the gravy up first and then eats maybe 1/3 of the chunks and then comes back later for the rest.

I am going to switch to a better wet food. I was just so concerned about her not eating anything when I first brought her home that I figured Fancy Feast was better than nothing. I am going to try the Natural Balance wet food.

There was a brand of wet food that I bought at PetSmart that she did like, I just can't remember the name of it. It came in a little pouch with a window where you could see the food. The pouches were green. I wonder what that was, I'm gonna have to maybe pick more of that up. I remember the ingredient list looking ok.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Why don't you buy the individual cans instead of the 12-pack? That's what I do when I'm looking for a new flavor.

You know the flavors he likes, just buy a bunch of different brands, but all with chicken or turkey. Everything is dependent on the ingrediants. Heck ours won't eat most of the expensive stuff like Merrick or Felidae...they turn their noses up at it. However they have no problem gobbling down moderate brands or cheaper ones. However the cheaper ones I equate as eating at Taco Bell each day

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

There was a brand of wet food that I bought at PetSmart that she did like, I just can't remember the name of it. It came in a little pouch with a window where you could see the food. The pouches were green. I wonder what that was, I'm gonna have to maybe pick more of that up. I remember the ingredient list looking ok.
that sounds like "By Nature" pouches...not a big hit in my house, but a good food. I just wanted to commiserate...Stan is such a junky eater. He'd eat dry all the time if it was up to him and when he does eat wet he always prefers the junky stuff to the quality foods...that boy has turned his nose up at some very expensive foods which makes me feel like