Salivates after meds

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This just started last night. Beauty has been on Clavamox since Wednesday for a URI. Last night I forgot to feed her before giving her the second dose of the day

Last night she began to salivate and bubble through her mouth and her eyes have been watering since (the salivating stopped after a couple of minutes).

This morning I feed her, gave her 30 minutes, then gave her the dose again, except just a little less then last nights dose. As soon as the med touched her mouth she began to salivate and drool. This lasted a couple of minutes as well (2 at the most).

I just gave her the med again and again she began to salivate and drool. She's extremely stuffy right now, to the point that she can barely breathe, so I'm wondering if that is playing a factor. Unfortunately the vet is closed, so I have to wait until Monday if it continues...which I hope it doesn't.

Anything?

footersownsme

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
normal reaction to Clavamox. They dont like the taste so they salivate to get the taste out of their mouth. Dosing animals at the hospital i feel bad when it happens but just see if they will drink some water and keep a paper towel on hand to get that drool up. Good Luck!

if her nose is stuffy w/icky boogers try a a warm papertowl/washcloth and remove the boogers from her nose so she can breathe a little easier. If her nose is dripping/running you can get one of those baby suction balls at the drug store and suck her little nose out every so often.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hmmm..I have the liquid for her so I thought it was vanilla flavored. Maybe I'll try a dot to see if it truely is.

She's like that with ANY med though. Shes one of those cats that are next to impossible to put on meds because she always salivates. Good to know though...I was afraid she was reacting to the med.

Yes, her's is the dripping/running nose. I'll have to see what I Have around here to help her out. Thanks!

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This happened to my cat at the vet when she gave him a pill ( cough suppressent).
Apparently he REALLY didn't like the taste and started drooling and foaming so much that it looked as though he had rabies (we're talking long strings of drool all over his face, dripping on the floor,etc.).

The vet said it was due to the bad taste and that it could only be helped by:
1. Giving the meds as far back in the mouth as possible (past the tongue).
2. Giving them water to drink afterwards.

Art

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah the foaming is nausea. I have to give my kittens erythromycin from Walgreen's drug store and it is pink and sticky and smells like strawberries. They really foam, salivate, and run around the room to try and get it out.

I give them a few Pounce treats after every time I medicate them and it seems like they hang onto that and not the bad experience of the meds though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artgecko

This happened to my cat at the vet when she gave him a pill ( cough suppressent).
Apparently he REALLY didn't like the taste and started drooling and foaming so much that it looked as though he had rabies (we're talking long strings of drool all over his face, dripping on the floor,etc.).

The vet said it was due to the bad taste and that it could only be helped by:
1. Giving the meds as far back in the mouth as possible (past the tongue).
2. Giving them water to drink afterwards.

Art
That's EXACTLY what it looks like: rabies drool
(she's clean! I know!)

I'll try to go deeper next time. She puts up a good fight for a passive cat

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine do that with any meds that I actually put in their mouth. Whenever possible, I try to use the method of putting it into a gravy style wet food. This works wonders with most of my kitties.. I just put in a teaspoon of food, (before they're fed their meal), with some of the gravy, and mix in the medicine to the gravy and food, and then seperate them out of the horde so that they're isolated and no one else gets the meds.

As long as you only give enough of the food to cover up the taste of the meds and just enough that they'll eat it all, I don't find them salivating or even turning up their noses at it. Even my difficult ones will take their meds this way (the bigger issue is getting them isolated), except for Khan, who isn't mine. He only eats raw and won't touch anything I can hide it in.