snowshoe?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lmpayne9687

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
yes thank you i clicked the button to add the pic but it just kept going to a popup thingy

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, color isn't breed. Just like a cat with patches on its ears and tails has a van pattern coat, it isn't a Turkish Van.

Pedigree snowshoes are very rare, though. They're a mix between a Siamese and an American Shorthair to give it that kind of bi-color pointing. So while your guy may look like the Snowshoe breed, his coat pattern simply means that one of his parents was probably a pointed cat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by EggyToast

Well, color isn't breed. Just like a cat with patches on its ears and tails has a van pattern coat, it isn't a Turkish Van.

Pedigree snowshoes are very rare, though. They're a mix between a Siamese and an American Shorthair to give it that kind of bi-color pointing. So while your guy may look like the Snowshoe breed, his coat pattern simply means that one of his parents was probably a pointed cat.
I no longer think they are rare... since 10 yrs ago there were 12 Snowshoe breeders ( usa stats).... Now I think it is 100 and that is not counting the BYB s or NON pedegreed ones comeing from siamese and dsh

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of breeds are more common now than they used to be, but I do wonder how many of those snowshoe breeders are just calling their cats "showshoe" because they look kinda sorta like a picture of a showshoe they saw. After all, it's not a CFA standard so there's a large portion of shows the cats couldn't even be shown in, making me think they're just making pets. Or calling a cat by a name to make it sound more exotic, when it simply has a neat pattern.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that the cat in question isn't a snowshoe due to the coloration on the neck and around the ears. Compare to a breed example picture:

You can tell they're obviously a pointed cat, but with the white feet and the patch on the face.

The parts of the cat in the original post, that we can see, look more like a basic dilute calico pattern. The cat doesn't look pointed at all, just the normal bi-color pattern on the face. That doesn't mean she's not a pretty cat, of course -- I have a soft spot for the dilute colors, personally.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Snowshoes are registered and shown in ACFA and TICA, but not CFA. I thought they were but checked awhile back. Shame CFA won't recognize them - they are one heck of a cool look cat

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Could be wrong but I really don't think your lovely cat looks like a snowshoe. Very cute though!
I know I'm right about that!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

He does have the markings of a snowshoe on the feet and face
... the markings are not show quality but then again likely he is a siamese and dsh cross... which is what the snows started out as... the American shorthair came later

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never said it was "show" quality markings, but the markings do look like the pattern on a Snowshoe. Was just pointing out that CFA didn't recognize them as a breed as of now - only ACFA and TICA.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Never said it was "show" quality markings, but the markings do look like the pattern on a Snowshoe. Was just pointing out that CFA didn't recognize them as a breed as of now - only ACFA and TICA.
show remark was not at you

Anyone know why CFA doesnt accept??? did they call them a hybrid

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I read breeders are working to get them recognized in CFA. IMO it is a rare breed. Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of interest in the breed for some reason. They have been around since 1960.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its not a lot of interest cause the breeders are even stricter on how the markings are to be and even less cats will meet that standard if not marked right.

I love them. Would adopt a seal rather then blue point. I've seen a few at ACFA shows (not recently) and have always liked them. Sorta a happy medium on the "siamese" look but with the flashy bit of white added.

Guess you never know what people will be interested in. For a long time the Havana Browns were almost gone. Now it seems to be a resurgance of them - at the last CFA shows there have been more Havanas present then in the all the time I was showing before (stopped showing for probably 5-10 yrs).

eggytoast

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

show remark was not at you

Anyone know why CFA doesnt accept??? did they call them a hybrid
I get the impression that CFA discourages simply mixing two established breeds together in order to create a new breed. It took the Ocicat quite some time to be established in CFA, and it doesn't look like someone simply mated their abyssinian with their siamese, for instance.

I also get the feeling that CFA isn't interested simply in a new coat pattern unless it can be shown to be easily reproducible with responsible breeding. Since there aren't a lot of showshoe breeders, I wonder how consistent the coat patterns are. For instance, the standard for Birmans is very exacting as far as the foot colorations go -- snowshoes may be quite variable. But those are just my impressions.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may be right - the Ocicat was first "born" in the 1960's but it was over 20 yrs later before CFA recognized them as a breed. The Oci consists of the Aby, Siamese, and American SH. But its totally different then any of those 3 breeds as individuals.

The Tonkinese is a cross of the Burmese and the Siamese. So I don't see why the Snowshoe can't be accepted.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is they can't keep enough active breeders to get it recognized with CFA. It only takes 10 active breeders and 50 cats of the breed to get it accepted in the Miscellaneous class. Along with a standard, classification, and registration (which I believe the breed already has all that).

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, as we all know, CFA is a very rules based organisation, and they are very "slow" to accept "new" breeds. If there aren't enough breeders making the pitch to get the cat recognised, then the cat wont be recognised by CFA. The Ragamuffin and the LaPerm are both newer breeds but yet they are both accepted by CFA as Miscellaneous/Provisional breeds.

I suspect we'll see the Khoo Manee (very big in Europe and Thailand) accepted first as a Miscellneous/Provisional breed before seeing the Snowshoes there.