Does parsley grow in the wild?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, if so, is it safe to eat? I was just outside pulling up all kinds of weeds that grew out of the top soil we had put around our house, and I noticed quite a few that actually looked like parsley and smelled like it. I didn't taste it though, for obvious reasons, but does it occur naturally in the wild? The top soil we had put around the house is actually what they dug up when the dug for our basement, so it is from the area. I'm just wondering because I LOVE fresh parsley in spaghetti and other dishes, and if I can just dig it up from the yard that would be great! But, I don't know if this is the same thing. It looks more like curly parsley than the flat kind, if that helps.

Also, I have weeds that have become "trees". They have red stems, about an inch thick and the flowers have become little blue berries. They are deep rooted...I can't pull them out by myself. Anyone know what they are and are they poisonous to dogs or cats? They are in our fenced in yard where the dogs spend a lot of their time, and I just want to make sure. I can take a pic if that helps.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes it does. But i would never trust myself to use what i would find, for feer of it not being what i think it was.

AS little kid we would go mushroom picking, but where never allowed to eat them, until my uncle or grandmother inspected them first, there where a some herbs also i remember my familiy getting also. peppermint being one. i can think of? or maybe its spearmint. there was some mint tasting thing hha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those little red stemmed, blue berry plants are Pokeberry....the berries are poisonous to humans, but birds eat them. The leaves are edible when the plant first comes up in the spring...ever heard of poke sallet? I have never seen a dog or cat try to eat it.....but it would be worth looking into!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

yes it does. But i would never trust myself to use what i would find, for feer of it not being what i think it was.

AS little kid we would go mushroom picking, but where never allowed to eat them, until my uncle or grandmother inspected them first, there where a some herbs also i remember my familiy getting also. peppermint being one. i can think of? or maybe its spearmint. there was some mint tasting thing hha. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parsley
Oh, I wasn't about to eat these leaves (being I found them in the dog's bathroom, so to speak), but I was just wondering if they were the real deal.

My mom had a spearmint bush when I was growing up, and I LOVED to eat the leaves! I remember making spearmint salads for my friends, complete with dirt and bugs!
Hey, I was 6..it seemed like a good idea at the time. Oh, well, we all survived.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

Those little red stemmed, blue berry plants are Pokeberry....the berries are poisonous to humans, but birds eat them. The leaves are edible when the plant first comes up in the spring...ever heard of poke sallet? I have never seen a dog or cat try to eat it.....but it would be worth looking into!
I just did a search for pokeberry, and that is exactly what it is! Thank you! I found out the Declaration of Independence was written in ink made by pokeberry. Learn something new everyday!

I can't say that I've ever heard of poke sallet, but I think it's a southern thing. I did find out it was poisonous to mammals, but I don't think the dogs have really bothered it, except for Snickers trying to rip them out of the ground by the stems thinking they were big, pretty sticks
. Yes, she does help me with the weeding at times.

But, thanks for the info!

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of things grow in the wild. Ginseng, mint, mulberry, morels are the ones I've seen most commonly. Among other things that occur randomly are things like poppy (the stuff they make opium out of), and marijuana (might be someone planted these, I don't know).

Don't hunt animals that you find in hemp or marijuana fields (deer, rabbits, etc), it will make you pretty sick (or high I guess).

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Lots of things grow in the wild. Ginseng, mint, mulberry, morels are the ones I've seen most commonly. Among other things that occur randomly are things like poppy (the stuff they make opium out of), and marijuana (might be someone planted these, I don't know).

Don't hunt animals that you find in hemp or marijuana fields (deer, rabbits, etc), it will make you pretty sick (or high I guess).
I'm sorry, I just got a mental picture of a deer kicking back against a tree saying to a hunter...."duuuude...nice gun".
(I know, I'm not right!)

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't you remember that old swamp record from the '70s?

"...Poke salad Annie,
The gators got yer granny..."

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I'm sorry, I just got a mental picture of a deer kicking back against a tree saying to a hunter...."duuuude...nice gun".
(I know, I'm not right!)
Got any munchies in those camo's??

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

(I know, I'm not right!)
they do act a little funny if you've ever run across one.