should I be afraid of my son getting worms??

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just took my kitten to the vet this morning for a check up and he suggested giving him revolution monthly to prevent heart worms (I asked him about them as I get bit by mosquitoes all the time and found one last night) and he said if there are any worms it would take care of that too. I have to drop off a stool sample also; probably will do that next sat as its $50 just for that!! Do you all think it is even necessary to get the sample if he is on meds for worms? And is this safe for my kitten??

Also, thinking about worms and knowing they can also infect humans, should I be worried about my son becoming infected?? I love my cat but my child is my number one priority. I have studied some microbiology in school and had the opportunity to look at some of these things and I know what they do to people.

I had a parasitic infection when i was about my sons age and the doctor told my mom if she had caught it just a little later i would be dead; I have memories of these things coming out both ends and I donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to have to deal with that with my 2 year old.

Should I be this worried??? Anyone with kids this age(2-3)? What should i do to prevent it??

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ask there dr to worm them too... I know of at least one case of me and the animals giving worms to one another

90% of HUMANS in industrialized nations have a parasite

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It is possible for pets and kids to share parasites, but it doesn't always happen. Many, many children have grown up with cats and dogs without ever getting a serious parasitic infection. Personally, I would just keep the cat on a regular worming schedule, and ask the child's doctor what symptoms to watch for that might indicate parasites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by momto3cats

It is possible for pets and kids to share parasites, but it doesn't always happen. Many, many children have grown up with cats and dogs without ever getting a serious parasitic infection. Personally, I would just keep the cat on a regular worming schedule, and ask the child's doctor what symptoms to watch for that might indicate parasites.
Thank you, I am going to do is. The vet gave me RX for revolution this morning to give him monthly; I am not sure how safe it is but it and prevents against fleas and heart worms and treatment and control of mites, roundworms and hookworms.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your child would have to ingest fecal matter from your cat to even have a chance of getting worms. If you really want to be safe, keep your cat indoors, then neither cat nor child is at risk and your cat will live longer.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephenq

Your child would have to ingest fecal matter from your cat to even have a chance of getting worms. If you really want to be safe, keep your cat indoors, then neither cat nor child is at risk and your cat will live longer.
actually, that's not true. roundworm is easily transmitted by contact, but also easily treated. Your child can get tapeworm by ingesting a flea... and hookworms can be picked up by something as simple as stepping on one that your cat has left behind.

but... don't freak out yet. if you have any of these parasites you will know and they aren't likely, even as common as they may be. if you keep a clean catbox and home and your child doesn't have any kind of immuno deficiency disorder you will probably never have to worry about this stuff.
On a seperate note, most people DO have parasites but you really only need be concerned if they cause you discomfort (as gross as that might sound)