I thnk my tattoo deserves its own thread!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Madonna - feline style. And no, not the aging pop star.

This is the tat I got on my back to represent me and my only child, my daughter. Sort of a memorial, but not really. For I almost lost her to an attempted murder in 2000, but she survived. So I felt I needed to represent what she means to me by finding just the right tattoo.

For a long time, at least 4 years, I didn't know what I wanted to get. One day I was rearranging books on my bookshelves, and I ran across the original hardcover of Living Free. I flipped through the pages, and found this old photograph, I stopped short, and said, that's it, that's the one.

Now, my mom calls me Elsabeth, has since I was a child (I'm an Elizabeth.) I stayed up late every year of my childhood to watch Born Free when it was on TV. I could never have cats as a child (mom is allergic) so I had a little stuffed lion named Elsa.
(And a tiger named Susie, but that's a different story...
)

So I knew this was the perfect tattoo for me. It took 8 hours over three sessions. (3, 3 and 2.) There is no outline and the entire tat was laid out in the first session, then redone to ensure it was dark enough to prevent too much future fading, then the final details and coloring was done at the end.

This is THE Elsa the Lioness with one of her cubs, taken directly from a black and white photograph (sorry about the lighting.) For the only color in the tat, the artist, Juli Moon, first looked into my eyes, then my daughter's. Here it is, it covers the upper middle of my back (the cub's nose was the spot that hurt the worst!):

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
looks good.
i still want one more tattoo, but dont want to spend the money they want for it lol.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got a special deal on this one.

The artist that did this has won awards for her tats around the world. I got really lucky. She picks and chooses her work, and her waiting list is years long. She likes me.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy that is amazing! The meaning behind it makes it even more beautiful.

And I really have to give HUGE kudos to your artist. Shading like that is very difficult, and it takes a true artist to do it that well. It doesn't surprise me at all that she's won awards. You've got a true work of ART on your back.

(I'd just be sad that I couldn't see it all the time if I was you!
)

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Betsy that is amazing! The meaning behind it makes it even more beautiful.

And I really have to give HUGE kudos to your artist. Shading like that is very difficult, and it takes a true artist to do it that well. It doesn't surprise me at all that she's won awards. You've got a true work of ART on your back.

(I'd just be sad that I couldn't see it all the time if I was you!
)
Thank you. That's exactly how I feel - like I have a DaVinci on my back.
And I know it's there.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That really is beautiful Betsy. You can tell the artistry behind it - the shading is subtle and looks airbrushed! What a wonderful tribute to your daughter.

BTW, I loved Born Free too! It was the only movie I could cry openly at.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so awesome! What a great meaning behind that! And I like that it "found" you and you didn't just decide on an image in a poster in the parlor.

missourigrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a beautiful tattoo! Ilike how there are not hard lines, very pretty.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everybody.

carwashcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Betsy! That tat. is the prettiest tat I have ever seen! I really mean that!
Awesome!!! I read your story, and I can't believe that, your daughter
was almost killed? Forgive me I am not meaning to pry, but I was so distraught after reading that, OMG! I'm so sorry for you but so glad everything
is ok! I have one child and he means more to me than life itself! Please forgive me if I over stepped any boundaries!
Monique