Shaving Cat (for Hairball Problems)

maiseycat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat has an ongoing problem with hairballs. She will go a month or more with no probs, then vomit her food (most always with fur in it) until she gets a pellet of fur out. Then she'll be ok again - repeats the process in a few weeks. I think the problem is hairballs, not something else, as since this is flea season and she's biting and licking so much, it's been worse. I got her on Frontline which has helped, though I treated her a couple weeks ago, and now she's really biting and licking again. She's an indoors cat, so I don't really understand the flea problem. Though we're used to living in apartments, and now we're in a rural country home.

Anyway, I've given her a tsp. of olive oil each day and a sensitive stomach food, and she's been doing better. Though she did throw up a couple days ago (though I think it's because i fed her earlier than usual - she doesn't seem to do well eating early in the morning). But later that day, she kept her food down fine and hasn't been vomiting until today I noticed a large pellet of fur. My co-worker, who also works at a vet's office, suggested shaving her. I've never heard of it, but it sounds logical. At least then we can rule out hairballs if the vomiting continues. I guess light anathesia is usually used, but it can be done without it. I was just curious to see if anyone here has done this. It sounds expensive ($25 w/o anathesia - I could get my hair cut and styled for that!). And if it has to be done every month... what a hassle. Though, I'm at my wit's end with the hairballs. Most people can just feed their cats and go - I've never had a cat with such problems. I'd like to try the Furminator (anyone use it?), but it's so expensive, and I don't know if it would work on my cat. She's not a long-hair. I feel like I should go ahead with the shave at this point. But, I want some unbiased opinions first (since my co-worker works at the vet's and would of course support it). We live in the midwest, so it can get chilly this time of year, but Maise is an indoor-only cat. That is really the only concern I have. That, and the anathesia, though my co-worker thinks it won't be necessary since she says she'll make sure she'll be there to hold her. Maise doesn't mind grooming too much (I groom her with a fine tooth comb every other day). So, anyone shave their kitty (wow, that sounds dirty!
). What are the pros and cons?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the Furminator ... I would think shaving is a LAST resort as anestesia and most cats should not be a reg thing

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i agree, shaving would definitely be a last resort for me. i read a ton of reviews on the furminator and it sounds like it cuts quite a bit of the underneath hair... most people raved about it but those who thought they were just buying a grooming tool to brush their cat were surprised and disappointed at how much hair it actually cuts. i'm glad i read up on it because i was thinking about buying one until i read that.

murphy has always had problems throwing up. he doesn't have any health issues, he's been to the vet numerous times he just ingests a lot of hair when he bathes himself and his system doesn't want it in there! lol... i tried using laxatone and buying special food but it really didn't decrease the amount. he just throws up about once or twice a month. i'm just glad we moved and don't have carpet anymore... it's a heck of a lot easier to clean wood & granite vs. carpet!

i would never dream of shaving murphy though unless it was a medical necessity. as long as he's not unhealthy, throwing up every now and then isn't an issue (according to my vet, anyway).

good luck!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure I get the point about not wanting the furminator to "cut". It is not a cutting tool and doesn't cut the hair. But I'm curious, even if it did cut the hair what would the problem be? Especially since the person starting the thread is thinking of shaving the whole cat anyway. Shaving takes out much more hair then the fruminator. And I definately wouldn't shave in the winter. You are REALLY cutting the hair when shaving. The FurMinator is a Deshedding tool. Not a brush. It is not advertised as a brush at all. I've been using it for awhile now and it works great. It even works great on short haired cats. This is what it says on the FurMinator web site in their FAQ's:

http://www.furminator.com/

Q: Does the FURminator deShedding Tool cut the hair?
A: No, the FURminator deShedding Tool does not cut or damage the coat, but rather pushes through the topcoat to remove the dead undercoat and loose hair.

Shaving is not recommended in cool/cold weather. Shaving under anesthesia is always very risky and I would not recommend it unless a cat is severly matted.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think most of the problems would be resolved with combing daily rather then shaving. Even if you shave, the hair will grow back and you'd have the same problem again.

itzsue

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by maiseycat

My cat has an ongoing problem with hairballs. She will go a month or more with no probs, then vomit her food (most always with fur in it) until she gets a pellet of fur out. Then she'll be ok again - repeats the process in a few weeks. I think the problem is hairballs, not something else, as since this is flea season and she's biting and licking so much, it's been worse. I got her on Frontline which has helped, though I treated her a couple weeks ago, and now she's really biting and licking again. She's an indoors cat, so I don't really understand the flea problem. Though we're used to living in apartments, and now we're in a rural country home.

Anyway, I've given her a tsp. of olive oil each day and a sensitive stomach food, and she's been doing better. Though she did throw up a couple days ago (though I think it's because i fed her earlier than usual - she doesn't seem to do well eating early in the morning). But later that day, she kept her food down fine and hasn't been vomiting until today I noticed a large pellet of fur. My co-worker, who also works at a vet's office, suggested shaving her. I've never heard of it, but it sounds logical. At least then we can rule out hairballs if the vomiting continues. I guess light anathesia is usually used, but it can be done without it. I was just curious to see if anyone here has done this. It sounds expensive ($25 w/o anathesia - I could get my hair cut and styled for that!). And if it has to be done every month... what a hassle. Though, I'm at my wit's end with the hairballs. Most people can just feed their cats and go - I've never had a cat with such problems. I'd like to try the Furminator (anyone use it?), but it's so expensive, and I don't know if it would work on my cat. She's not a long-hair. I feel like I should go ahead with the shave at this point. But, I want some unbiased opinions first (since my co-worker works at the vet's and would of course support it). We live in the midwest, so it can get chilly this time of year, but Maise is an indoor-only cat. That is really the only concern I have. That, and the anathesia, though my co-worker thinks it won't be necessary since she says she'll make sure she'll be there to hold her. Maise doesn't mind grooming too much (I groom her with a fine tooth comb every other day). So, anyone shave their kitty (wow, that sounds dirty!
). What are the pros and cons?
Definitely buy the FURMINATOR. You can do a search on EBAY. The sell them brand new from around $10.00. This thing ROCKS!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I shaved Ferris in May (well, the vet did
) due to matting issues and his coat is just growing out in full now, just in time for winter. I DO NOT recommend shaving a cat for hairball reasons. Hairballs are common in cats, it is not an illness, it does not mean there is anything wrong, and chances are they will have themonce in a while all their lives.

There are hairball food formulas and hairball treatments, but the very best treatment is regular grooming with a furminator (which, as Sharky said does NOT cut fur, it only seems that way because it is SO much more effective than just about any other grooming comb or brush - it even grabs more loose fur than the Zoom Groom) and occasional hairball treatments.

My longhairs get treated with Petromalt when they start coughing up a hairball, and that usually helps them pass it through with their stool instead of having it get stuck and coughed up.