Kittens are here!

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i dunno if anyone else has been having issues with my post or not, but for some reason the second and third page wont show up for me. so here's a new post with kitten photos for everyone who hasn't seen yet.

this is the first one that came out. i think it's a boy.

this is the second one. obviously a girl. why are all calico's girls?
this is the third one. i think it's a girl too.

this is the fourth one. i think this one is a boy.

how adorable are they?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, question. what is a safe flea treatment for a nursing mother who you cannot give a bath to?

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are so cute. Congrats!

Comb her out with a flea or lice comb several times a day. In between each stroke of the comb, clean it by dipping in a bowl of water with some Dawn dishsoap added. When you are done, towel dry her with a clean towel.
You will probably need to do the same to the kittens shortly. Make sure they are dried off as losing body heat is an issue for them.

All of the bedding must be treated by washing in hot water.

Clean the floors. Wash the tile or vaccum the carpet. Some people put a cut up flea collar in the vaccum to help kill the fleas. Each time you vaccum, you need to change the bag.

Good luck. Fleas are a pain.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All calicos are not girls - just 99.9% of them. There are male calicos. I personally know of 3 of them (seen them). Two are calico cornish rexes and one was a bluecream male in the HHP class at a show

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi there, already seen the photos but thought I would look again!

If you do the combing then that is fine, but don't forget, fleas don't live on cats, they live in the carpet and upholstry. It would be worth treating your home as the first measure. The vet gave me a household spray for £15 ($30). It works on all furniture and flooring and last for 12 months, so it is a good investment. Alternatively, you can buy a powder that you can vacuum up. My vet told me I could use frontline on my nursing mum, and a frontline spray on the kittens from 3 days old. I know that some of our flea treatments can be more advanced than yours so you'll have to check with your vet. I never ended up using the frontline spray, as the home treatment and treating Ziggy got rid of them and they have all been flea free ever since they were a week old.

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks so much. you guys are a big help. im so glad i found this site.

for a kitten update, they are all doing very well. still very tiny tho. lol. i cant wait till they open their eyes.

on a sadder note, two of the three kittens from her first litter have to find new homes. i've contacted a local no kill animal shelter and i've been put on a waiting list and the lady told me that it could take 6 months before they can take them. in the meantime tho, any suggestions on what i can do to try and find good permanent homes for them myself?

cazlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kristi812

thanks so much. you guys are a big help. im so glad i found this site.

for a kitten update, they are all doing very well. still very tiny tho. lol. i cant wait till they open their eyes.

on a sadder note, two of the three kittens from her first litter have to find new homes. i've contacted a local no kill animal shelter and i've been put on a waiting list and the lady told me that it could take 6 months before they can take them. in the meantime tho, any suggestions on what i can do to try and find good permanent homes for them myself?
My goodness what adorable little babies, I remember when my mother's cat, Misty had her kittens... on my bed... in the middle of the night... LOL.

I can't tell you what direction to go on getting the word out that there are precious little babees needing forever homes, but I have my 2 cents on rooting out people that wouldn't be good for them.

If financially allowable, background check potential adopters. Our local human society and other shelters do this if my memory serves me. Research the legality of this, of course, and what kind of waiver, if any, is required. Just google your state statutes regarding background checks. The shelters may also be able to advise you on what is required for a background check, if they perform them.

I don't know if your local humane society keeps or releases the information, but call around and find out if they've ever dropped any critters off there.

Request references.

If they have children, find out what age the children are and have them bring the children along to determine yourself if the children seem mature enough to handle a kitten being in the house. Young children, in my opinion under 10, may not have the wherewithall yet to know how to handle kittens properly.

Anyone not ok with you checking them out isn't the kind of person you'd want taking these precious tykes anyway. An ounce of prevention is much more valuable than a pound of cure.

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
well i found a potential owner for both the cats. i put up a sign while im at work so that way i can just talk to the people face to face. they both might go together, which would be great since they've been together their whole lives. im just a lil worried about the little boy, the one im keeping. i just hope he doesn't get depressed or anything. but maybe he'll make a buddy out of one of the new kittens and i'll get to keep one, or two. lol. right now 9 is just too many for this house. plus 2 dogs and a rabbit. (sorry just kinda rambling, kinda treating this one like a blog...hmm...) anywho, kitten update, they are gettin bigger everyday. the lil black and white one is deffinately a boy. lol. he's got a mouth on him too. i've been trying to pick the fleas off of them as often as i can. thursday i'm off work so i'm going to try to flea bomb the house and bath all the animals if the weather permits. so hopefully i'll find something that will work on mom and the babies. would bathing her with a flea shampoo be a bad idea? i was looking on the label and it doesn't say not to use it on pregnant or nursing cats. it just says safe for all cats and kittens. and do the kittens need to be a certain age before they get baths? hmm...

oh, just wondering, when do their eyes open? 3 or 4 weeks?

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
ok, i just noticed that shadow's been spot bleeding, i dont know if that's the proper term or not. kinda reminds me of my dog when she's in heat. is that normal for a cat to do after giving birth?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Eyes open from 5 days to 14 days on the average.

Spot bleeding is normal for a few days after birth. If any longer, have the vet check her out.

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
kittens are gettin bigger everyday. they are soooo cute it's unreal! ill post some new pics probably tomorrow, so watch out for em!

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
one of the kittens has her eyes open. soooo cute. another has them partially open, and i think the boys will follow tomorrow.

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
just a lil kitten update. they are 2 weeks and one day old today. they all have their eyes open. soooo cute. ill post some pics later

ckblv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you going to get these kittens and mama cat neutered? That would be the best thing to do. There are soooo many cats killed in shelters on a daily basis. Please spay and neuter.

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
she isn't my cat, it's up to her owner on if she's going to get her fixed. and im getting to those pictures just a lot going on lately.