Best Pet store and/or brands of cat products?

londonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone!

What is the best pet store and/or brands of cat products? Both for pricing and quality. Are the big chains good?

I need to get things like that apple spray (to keep my kitties from chewing wires) and double-sided tape (is this tape I can just get at any store?). I also want to get that kwick-set stuff in case I acidentally over-clip their nails. Lastly, I want to get them some good toys that are good quality so they won't break off pieces when I'm not watching. I have found the "smarty cat" brand so far, and I like a few of their things. Anyone have other favorites?

Thank you in advance!

-LK

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have my favourite type of toy, but not brand. I like toys on sticks, like fishing rod type things. I tend to get ones with feathers, or with a large mouse on the end. I also get lightweight balls with beads inside. Or just normal ping pong balls.

As for pet food, it depends on where your from really. I like Natures Menu, but (just like Iams) Ziggy doesn't get on with it when it comes to 'potty time'.

I like Pets At Home for the UK

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Da Bird is the best toy ever! I don't think it's very well made, but it is a great toy and has almost every cat running and jumping all over the place. My cats like the mouse accessory best.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Petco and PetsMart, among others, are good places to shop for cat supplies. I would NOT buy any supermarket foods or other bargain brands of food -- they contain inferior ingredients, fillers, byproducts, artificial colors and/or flavors, and are poorly digested by cats, resulting in more health problems (and vet visits) than feeding premium brands -- we feed Nutro Max Cat, Natural Choice, and Complete; Triumph; PetGold; Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken; Trader Joe's; and Natural Balance. Other premium brands are also good -- check to see what is available in your area. These stores carry the Bitter Apple or other chewing deterrent. The double-sided tape should be available at supermarkets, drug stores, hardware and home-improvement stores. 3M/Scotch makes one that is widely available. As for toys, we like sturdy catnip toys, sparkle (twinkle) balls, soft foam footballs ("soccer" balls), and the interactive "fishing pole" type toys -- DaBird is our favorite, but there are many types, such as Feline Flyer. SAFE, "pet" store-bought laser pointer toys are also fun for cats -- just make sure they are from these businesses, and not other varieties.

GOOD LUCK!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I buy from the mom and pop stores for high end stuff and some food ... usually I do petsmart cause it is $$ wise for main line food s and stuff like flea control

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

londonkat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your opinions!

For food, my vet said that Science Diet, Iams, and Purina were all good. So, I am going to continue with Science Diet or one of those others.

Also, about toys, with my old cat, sometimes she didn't play with toys I bought for her, and other toys fell apart right away. I will look for the "DaBird" next time I go to the store.

If anyone else has other favorite toys (or brands of toys), I'd love to hear!

Thanks again! You all are so nice!

-LK.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LondonKat

Thank you everyone for your opinions!

For food, my vet said that Science Diet, Iams, and Purina were all good. So, I am going to continue with Science Diet or one of those others.

Also, about toys, with my old cat, sometimes she didn't play with toys I bought for her, and other toys fell apart right away. I will look for the "DaBird" next time I go to the store.

If anyone else has other favorite toys (or brands of toys), I'd love to hear!

Thanks again! You all are so nice!

-LK.
Read the food labels... NO offence but the MAJORITY of vets only have RX food training and little of that

Zoey loves the cat dancer

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy toys from all over. Grocery stores, walmart, kmart, dollar store, occasionally petsmart. They all carry both good and junky toys.

Just check how it's made before you buy it. My two favorites are from kmart, the champion breed brand large fur mice and the great balls of fur (a weird furry ball with octopus leg things on it). The cats other favorite toys aren't actually cat toys, like the practice golf balls.

I also prefer to get some of their can food at walmart, since it's cheaper then online and petsmart and petco don't carry it.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use nutro natural choice dry food, the nutro max (cheaper variety) is also good...Both have better ingredients than science diet, purina, etc....just check the labels...on all the types of SD I've seen the first ingredient is "corn". Nutro is also just as cheap as SD, if not cheaper (around $9.99 for a 4lb bag here) and there are often coupons you can get and sales.

I shop at petsmart and petco because I can't get any pet food at my local mom and pop stores.

For toys, I like the "jolly moggy" line (by rosewood I think) and the "fat cat" toys. I get them at petsmart and I haven't had one tear up on me yet... Although it doesn't help when the kittens drop them in their waterbowl on a regular basis. I get the cheap wand/feather toys from walmart ($1.99 each) and just replace them as they tear up. The laser pointer is also a good cat toy (I think mine is a spot bright).

I also like the hand-crocheted toys (octopus and mouse) that you can buy individually from petsmart. They are cheap, well made, and have catnip inside (plus, they're washable). Other than that, I look for plastic balls with bells inside (as it's hard to break open a plastic ball).

I like the whiskercity line of cardboard scratchers and they last a long time too (and aren't expensive). I recently bought a large wooden scratcher (that holds carboard inserts) from catclaws.com. It is well made and was cheap for the quality.

I would also suggust the "lupine" pet collars, leashes, and harnesses...They are affordable and have a life-time warrenty (even if chewed!). I have gotten a "roman style" harness for my adult cat and have just ordered two more for my two kittens.. They are fully adjustable and come in great colors/patterns.

HTH,
Art

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For money wise in my area Pet Supplies Plus is the cheapest, followed by Chow Hound. Petco is very over priced here. I do not have a Petsmart but there is one in a city nearby. I just went there for the first time yesterday. There prices were not bad. Food was cheaper than Pet Supplies Plus but their litter was a lot higher in price.