fashing lights = migraine??? or something else

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am from England but currently live in Yorktown V
ok I had a wierd blindspot in my eye, it kinda freaked me out so I thought I would text my hubby asking if we could go to opticians tonight, but while i was texting he spot turned into a line and it freaked me out so I went over to my friends house which is less than 100 metres away to take my mind off it, while I was there it turned into full on flashing star lights along the left side of my left eye and the top left of my right eye and it kinda wiggled...i was freaking a bit at this, but I just hung out with my friend and eventually it stopped and it moved to a weird flashing above my left eye then it stopped and i am fine again, it was freaky!!!!!!

So has any one else had this, I dont have a headache, can you have a migraine with flashing lights with out a headache? I have had headaches so bad that I became light sensitive and had to go to bed, but never any flashing lights....

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hmmmmm sounds odd. I get migranes on a weekly basis and my first sign is the flashing lights. But I've never had the lights with out the following pain.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes I get those, sometimes it becomes a full blown migraine, sometimes just the light. the best thing I have found to do is, take liquid advil capsales and laydown in a dark room.

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got those once in a great while..the flashing without the headache.
My Doctor said they were Ocular Mirgaines...in other words the Migraine without the headache.

But, it's a good idea to get it checked out.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

yeah thats what my friend said, so i was at hers kinda bracing my self for an awful pain and it hasnt happened...yet, does the pain sometimes take a while to kick in?
If I don't take the advil, mine turn into a nasty migraine, usually i start vomitting, then the pain kicks in

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to work for an opticians, so I am a hypochondriac when it comes to my eyes, i was thinking brain tumor, retainer detachments ya know the worst things possible, Its almost time for my annual test so i will bring it forwards to be checked out, it was just so weird, it only lasted about an hour in total.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

I got those once in a great while..the flashing without the headache.
My Doctor said they were Ocular Mirgaines...in other words the Migraine without the headache.

But, it's a good idea to get it checked out.
I've had them for eons, never had the headache. It's weird, and lasts anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, and then it's as if nothing happened. I can go over a year and not have one, and then have three or four episodes in the space of a couple of weeks. Not a big deal once you know it's not the end of the world, but still worth getting it checked out, just to be sure.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sound a bit different than what happens with me, but I would sure check it out to see if it's the same.

I do get occasional blue sparks of light, but the main deal is that suddenly a cloud will come over one eye (usually never both), and I will have lost vision within the area of that odd shaped cloud - but have full crisp, in focus and color vision around or above that cloud.

After a workup with my opthmologist and then a neurologist, they determined it was retinal migraines and I was put on aspirin therapy - told to to take at least a baby aspirin each day for the rest of my life (this was back in my 30s).

It's scary, but not having checked it out to get a definite diagnosis would have been scarier!

ps I never get a headache with these...they've kept asking, I keep telling them I don't

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my cat mellow

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks I think I will try and aim for an appointment on Monday, already got a have another pap, and possibly more due to abnormal results on my last one and thats happening on Monday, so hubby will be around to be my driver

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My cat Mellow

I used to work for an opticians, so I am a hypochondriac when it comes to my eyes, i was thinking brain tumor, retainer detachments ya know the worst things possible
Don't you mean retina detachment? And yes, that is a possiblity. It's better to go sooner to have that checked then later. If there are any tears they can be fixed and full detachment can be prevented.
Are you in a risk group for retinal detachment?
Be on the look out for more dark floaters.

I've had plenty of weird vision problems with my migraines over the years, but mine always follow a pattern. Slightly off feeling that something isn't right, vision gets poorer, then little broken lights on the lower right, and then pain. Anything different happens, I would be getting that checked as soon as possible. The combination of medication, high eye pressure, and being asked weird questions/getting odd looks the last time I had my eyes checks worries me a bit.

lnbandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, that sounds like the beginnings of a classic migraine. Often my migraines are triggered by bright lights, etc. Then I get a bit of a diminshed vision. Then I feel like I have no vision out of the left sides of both of my eyes. Then after about 10 minutes come the "Pointy premium stars" You know, those multi pponted stickers that go on diplomas - I really don't kow what else to call them. They float around my eyes. And finally, the blinding headache.
Thank goodness there are many effective migraine meds now!
Good luck and see a doctor!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I've had them for eons, never had the headache. It's weird, and lasts anywhere from 20 minutes to an hour, and then it's as if nothing happened. I can go over a year and not have one, and then have three or four episodes in the space of a couple of weeks. Not a big deal once you know it's not the end of the world, but still worth getting it checked out, just to be sure.
Same here however the last few times I had one, I did get a headache 20 minutes later like Rang_27

Definately see an opthmologist if this is your first one.
Search the web for optical migraines. There are different kinds of auras. Mine start with a pinwheel or squiggle line moving all around. Then I lose vision like a puzzle until I can't see out of the one eye. The first time I was freaking out just like you did. Sometimes just before it starts I get warnings like weird heavy sensation in my arm or sensitivity to light/sound/patterns. Asprin never helped me but I do take 3 advils when it starts. If I don't take the advils fast enough I will get the aura for about 20-30mins, get sick to my stomach, & numbness in various areas.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Of course get it checked out, but it's classic Ocular Migraine. I freaked out when I had it for the first time too. It starts off with a weird blindspot, and then a shimmery line (like heat off of asphalt) that lasts about 20 minutes, and slowly moves out of my line of vision. Sometimes there is a headache right after, and sometimes the headache never comes.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could be something minor or something major. What you describe could be one of several possibilities. I'd suggest going to see an eye doctor about it and if warranted possibly a regular doctor too.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Same here however the last few times I had one, I did get a headache 20 minutes later like Rang_27

Definately see an opthmologist if this is your first one.
Search the web for optical migraines. There are different kinds of auras. Mine start with a pinwheel or squiggle line moving all around. Then I lose vision like a puzzle until I can't see out of the one eye. The first time I was freaking out just like you did. Sometimes just before it starts I get warnings like weird heavy sensation in my arm or sensitivity to light/sound/patterns. Asprin never helped me but I do take 3 advils when it starts. If I don't take the advils fast enough I will get the aura for about 20-30mins, get sick to my stomach, & numbness in various areas.
I don't get "Optical Migraines" but do occasionally get regular ones. I get an aura too, but I can't describe it. It's more like a "feeling" and a non painful dull internal ache inside my head along with a dulling in mental acuity. If I don't take 600mb of Ibuprophen and 2 Tylenol #3 within a few minutes I will have a full blown migraine complete with nausea, light sensitivity and massive pain to the point my hair hurts, for 2 or 3 days. If I take something as soon as I detect my aura the headache still comes but the symptoms are less and it only lasts a day.