Wet food issue

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason when I give Popsie his wet food he will hardley eat any of the food chunks but just lick all the gravy off of them. Then the rest gets dried out and he won't finish it later. Is there like a food gravy I can buy to add to his dry food so I don't have to give him wet since he just wastes it. He needs some kind of moisture in his diet because of his consipation.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried feeding him the pate style of food rather than the type with chunks and gravy?

If he likes the gravy so much maybe you could add water to the pate style and make it nice and soupy for him. Don't add so much water that he gets filled up before finishing the food.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What brand are you feeding him?

Harley wont eat the ones with big chunks either- my boys get the Meow Mix pouches & really love them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed him friskies prime filets and they are big chunks. I just picked up a 12 pack of friskies sliced so hopefully he'll eat that. I was going to get a 12 pack of original but it contained salmon flavor and I've heard male cats can get utis from eating to much seafood stuff.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a more solid canned food rather then the sliced meat with gravy. Ling and Charlie don't like the sliced kind with gravy. Must taste fakey or something cause they normally are not picky about canned foods

You don't want to give too much seafood/fish. They have maybe 1-2 cans of salmon fish in 12 cans of food. I usually get chicken, beef, or lamb.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know too much fish is not good for cats especially tuna so I stay clear of that. It amazes me how many dry foods use tuna as a base. My oldest cat won't eat anything with fish, never has, while Blossom rather likes it.
Years ago a cousin of mine had a lot of cats. No matter when you visited her there were nearly always kittens. Her husband was a comercial fisherman & brought the catch home to clear his nets. So, the cats just about lived on raw fish.
One time while we were there, my cousin happened to say, what was wrong with all the kittens eyes. I told her that too much fish could be the problem. Their eyes looked half closed & weepy.
Back to the topic, have you tried him on raw chicken, beef & lamb. Blossom loves it.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, go with the Pate style. Patches does the same thinng if we buy the chunks and gravy and its just a waste. She probably doesn't like the meat by-products in them.

However now that I only buy the pate, she'll eat the food.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I feed him friskies prime filets and they are big chunks. I just picked up a 12 pack of friskies sliced so hopefully he'll eat that. I was going to get a 12 pack of original but it contained salmon flavor and I've heard male cats can get utis from eating to much seafood stuff.
Can you buy Friskies or Fancy Feast loaf style? I serve something in gravy for breakfast and loaf/pate style for their other meals.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys hate the chunks and shredded in gravy too, the closest they will eat is the meow mix tubs..though they can't have those anymore (they both get diarrhea from it
).

Friskies makes both a 24 pack (turkey, mix grill, and ocean whitefish & tuna) and a 32 pack (salmon, ocean whitefish & tuna, mariners catch, and one other flavor I can't remember...) that are all pate style. I feed this to the outdoor kitties.

Fancy feast makes a box of just chicken pate (without wheat gluten) that I've bought for the boys in a pinch. If you buy fancy feast by the box it usually has some coupons for other purina products, including litter.

If you're shopping at a walmart and don't mind spending 75-77 cents a can, Natural Life makes some very nice food. No by products, very low ash, and a few non fish flavors. My boys love the lamb.
It's probably the best you can get if you don't have the option of shopping at a petstore and/or petsmart and petco.

Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

You don't want to give too much seafood/fish. They have maybe 1-2 cans of salmon fish in 12 cans of food. I usually get chicken, beef, or lamb.
Do all your kitties do ok with beef wet foods? I think I've finally narrowed that down as the ingredient that causes Tomas's toxic farts... Unfortunately, it seems most flavors of Nutro have beef in them.