Heya, another newbie

gaea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Another cat-lover (!) who's found the forums.

I'm lucky enough to live in the beautiful garden of England, and as of next week (or maybe the next, depending on how things go) I'll be the proud owner of my third Birman kitten!

It's been several years since I owned a cat. As a kid (not so long ago) I had five. Zoe was a CPL b/white moggy, who had the indignity of being "cared" for by a 7-year old me, and was renamed about five times in the space of her first week with us. I'm ashamed to say, I think I babied that cat more than was healthy, but she stolidly put up with it. Sadly, Zoe was killed in a hit-and-run the day before we moved house, absolutely breaking my heart.

For the new house, my parents bought me and my sister two b/w moggy sisters. Still aching from losing Zoe, I wished to name my kitten after her, but Mom gently suggested Chloe, instead. These 2 old girls are still alive and very much hissing and kicking today, aggy as ever.

Then, in 1995, I attended my first Grand National cat show at Kensy Olympia, London, and fell in love...with Birmans. And they remain my favourite breed. The next year, after much scraping and saving, I was the proud owner of a (rather vocal) blue-point girl, Willlow. The following year, her seal-point half-sister, Fern, came into our lives. Sadly, neither are still with us; Fern contracted that Goddamn sickness FIP and died just before her 3rd birthday; Willow I lost last year, to stomach cancer. So I don't seem to have much luck with pedigrees.

When my 'rents split, I went to live with my Mom. Chloe and Jess were by then too old for me to want to move them; it didn't seem fair. They still live with my Dad and brother.
As I live with my Mom, it's been her descision not to have any cats for the past few years. The fact I've been seriously ill for 6 years, hasn't exactly helped matters. Unable to work = unable to properly pay for a cats' needs. Plus, I could barely take care of myself, so how selfish would it have been to a pet?!

BUT...since the beginning of this year, I've finally been in recovery. I've landed myself a full-time job, my body's recovering...and at long last, I've talked my Mom round into letting me have another cat!! But not just any cat - another Birman!
Cue lots of frantic Internet/local paper searches, hunting for Birman kittens. But of course, the prices have steadily increased since I last bought a Birman, and my God, I couldn't afford a pure-bred now, even at pet level.

So, this Tuesday coming up, I go to see a litter of 16-week old Birman-cross kits! They're all toms, and that's going to feel odd, as I've only ever owned queens, but heck, I'm up for a change. And I know it sounds sad, but I've already chosen a name - Kieran. I love that name, for a lad.

So, if you've managed to read to the end of this overlong intro post, kudos to you, and hello to all other cat-lovers on this site!

P.S - I'm going to the Grand National show at Olympia this December, for the first time in 7 years; anyone else attending?!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome to TCS!

So glad you've joined us!
Congratulations on soon welcoming Kieran into your home.

When your lad is finally with you, we will want to see lots of pictures.

As you learn your way around our site,
if you have questions, I would be happy to help you.
Feel free to contact me by clicking on my user name,
then send me a Private Message.
I will get back to you asap.

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hallo, Gaea & from another newbie, welcome

Kieran is a great name - means black, doesn't it? - what part of England are you in? I have friends over on your side of the Pond, mostly in Northern England.

Be sure to get back to us after Tuesday!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the welcomes, guys!! Cat52 - You're right, Ciaran (ciar) means "black", in Irish or Gaelic, I think. I'm in the South East, a seriously beautiful part of England.

I'll be posting tons of photos on here when the little man comes home!

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the Site!

I'm sorry for the loss of Zoe, Fern and Willow. I know we've all been there.

Congratulations on your upcoming new addition! He sounds lovely and I LOVE his name also. I am sure the wait will be well worth it.

See you on the site!

gaea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow cool, more welcomes, cheers guys!

Oh Christ, only one more day to wait before I go to see the litter! It's been over a decade since I went to view a litter of Birmans...yikes, I was only 12 then. I planned to be the youngest Birman breeder in the country!
That plan went down the tubes when Wills got a hernia in her tummy
had to be spayed at the same time, when they removed it. Poor little baby. Probably saved my schoolwork from going completely AWOL, I suppose, anyway.

But there's already been a problem - my Mom HATES the name Kieran!! But I love it?! I keep telling her, it's my cat! But...we're thinking about "Kai", perhaps? Just don't want people to pronounce it as "Kay"!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
"What's in a name? that which we call a rose,
by any other name would smell as sweet."

Whatever name you choose for your sweetie,
she will be lovely.

Have a wonderful time tomorrow.
Be sure to tell us all about it.

cat52

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
But we LIKE the name!! Okay, so here's what you do

Find a nice pub.
Shout for 5-6 pints or so. Tell Mum you've been thinking about the name for the new kitty and you've decided she's right, Kieran isn't the best, although you still rather like it.
Say you've come up with some other names: "Pouf," "Skull-boy", "Shlomo", and "Gaius Germanicus", and which one of those would she like?
If you play it right, you should get "Kieran" as a compromise with no tribble atall, atall!

I'm kidding, mostly.

Hey, truth, though: this worked on me when it came to my (former) husband & me deciding on a name for our child. Those last two names were actually his suggestions, if we had a boy, because he didn't like my choice, "Benjamin". We "compromised" on one of his earlier choices, "Martin", although I'd started out not liking it.

Fortunately, we had a girl.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome aboard, Gaea! (btw, is that from the Incarnations of Immortality series??)

I like Kieran, although, truly, it's been few kitties that haven't named themselves in my household. We did pick a few names, but most of ours named themselves after they were here a few days and picked out their own name through their actions and personalities.

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS!
We are so glad you have joined us!

If I can help you with any questions you have about the site, please click on my username and send me a message.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & welcome to TCS. Kieran Perkins was a champion Olympic swimmer in Australia in the 90's. The 1st man to break 15mins in the 1500 metre. All my furkids are named by their looks, date of birth etc. I'm sure you'll pick a lovely name. Look forward to seeing pics when you get him.

gaea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Furkids"! I love that!! You're right, there was the Ozzie swimmer Kieran, wasn't there, I remember that from my childhood in the 90's. Bet Mom doesn't remember, though

Catsarebetter - Not aware of that series, sorry mate, but sounds interesting? Book series? I'm up for most things in literature. I'm hoping that, if Kai doesn't suit, this kit'll pick his own name pretty soon. I just have a good feeling about a "K" name for a Birman tom, y'know?

Cat52 - "Pouf," "Skull-boy", "Shlomo", and "Gaius Germanicus"

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Gaea

"Furkids"! I love that!! You're right, there was the Ozzie swimmer Kieran, wasn't there, I remember that from my childhood in the 90's. Bet Mom doesn't remember, though

Catsarebetter - Not aware of that series, sorry mate, but sounds interesting? Book series? I'm up for most things in literature. I'm hoping that, if Kai doesn't suit, this kit'll pick his own name pretty soon. I just have a good feeling about a "K" name for a Birman tom, y'know?

Cat52 - "Pouf," "Skull-boy", "Shlomo", and "Gaius Germanicus"
Gaea is one of the Incarnations of Immortality in the Piers Anthony series. I personally liked the series. Gaea was the "green mother" or, basically Mother Nature. Gaea spent most of the series searching for a song.. well, there's a lot more to it than that, but if you get the chance, read the series (if you're into fantasy/sci-fi). The first book in the series is "On a Pale Horse".

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello & Welcome to the Cat Site!

Always happy to hear from people across the world! Lucky you to live in beautiful England

Look forward to hearing stories about your kitties!

Best Wishes! Enjoy the forums