Anyone know about workplace time clocking?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Ok, my place of employment (though I now have other terms for it
), just started this silly timekeeping computer program. (I've been there over 20 years, and we never had a time clock, etc., and I'm a salaried worker.)

Basically, it's a web-based company. You have to get into your pc, access the website, log in your username & password, then "clock in", "lunch out" "clock in" (when returning from lunch), and finally (thank God) "clock out" at the end of the day. Well, the 1st two days, it was very slow in loading; everyone had this problem (the stupid programmers didn't allow for the possibility that many of the 100 or so employees could be logging in at the same time!). Ok, admittedly I was 4 minutes late the 1st day--an emergency erupted as I was leaving for work; I explained this to the boss, who was also arriving at the same time. I added 4 minutes at the end of the day, plus I think, 2 or so off my (unpaid) lunch time to make up for it. The next day, I came in 10 minutes EARLY; stayed a couple of minutes late--all recorded on the timeclock. Also, our pc clocks are 2-3 minutes SLOWER than the official timeclock, which has NO actual clock on the webpage; you only know what time you "clocked in", out, etc. AFTER the fact. Every day that week, I gave this damned place a few extra minutes of MY time, so I wouldn't be "late" (according to the website clock). Well, my boss said, as yesterday's clock out was 4:59 PM (I leave at 5), I "Wasn't working that extra minute at the end of the day" (I did NOT leave; I did some paperwork at my desk, and actually left at 5:03 PM, by the wall clock), and, "Just because you're on the company property at 9 AM, doesn't mean you're working."--in other words, the time it takes for me to walk into the office, back to my desk, start my pc, log in, etc., should be done before 9 AM, if I'm due in at 9 AM. Isn't this illegal? Can a business force its employess to arrive early in order to punch a time clock? Don't they have to pay you for that time(if hourly), or give you that time off, with pay, if you're salaried? Frankly, I don't mind staying a couple extra minutes here and there--now, I'm in trouble for that, too. They want the times to be EXACTLY, to the minute, 7 hours apart; i.e., if you arrive at 8:59 AM, you must clock out at 4:59 PM that day.

On top of this, he insulted me when I questioned some of the above, by saying, "It's not rocket science!"

I seriously thought about handing in my resignation today; it's not just this clock thing; I've been unhappy here for about 5 years (lots of bad changes).

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a nurse, so I have to be dressed and ready to take report by the time I clock in. I can't clock out one minute early either. It's always been that way, so it doesn't bother me.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have the web based thing too. But it's not quite as strict as yours. They trust us to enter our time correctly and we can enter it anytime we want. That's insane if you are a salary worker though. Our salary workers don't have to do that. I agree with you. That is a bit extreme.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are you being paid as a full time employee? If so, and the hours you post are what you really work, wow - consider yourself lucky. Mot places don't give a 6.5 hour workday to full time workers, which is what it sounds like you have. Lucky....

That asside, I doubt what they're doing is illegal. Especially for salaried workers. However, they need to lighten up a bit, and maybe they will over time. Like a "grace period" for at least the few minutes it takes to login and reach the site.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is that way where I work too. I have to clock in and out on the computer. I need to have my computer up and running by 9am and all my programs up by then too. If the computer time clock has a problem I just tell my supervisor and he fixes it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by pennicat

Are you being paid as a full time employee? If so, and the hours you post are what you really work, wow - consider yourself lucky. Mot places don't give a 6.5 hour workday to full time workers, which is what it sounds like you have. Lucky....

That asside, I doubt what they're doing is illegal. Especially for salaried workers. However, they need to lighten up a bit, and maybe they will over time. Like a "grace period" for at least the few minutes it takes to login and reach the site.
I work 8 hours total, but don't get paid for my 1-hour lunch. I'm not sure what you mean by the 6.5 hours and being lucky?? (I'm full-time.)

I'm not complaining about the number of hours I work; it's the unreasonable attitude of the management about the extra minutes with the clock thing. They expect us, with 3 different-timed clocks, to clock in EXACTLY 7 hours apart, with no variations, which is pretty darned hard when you have to use 3clocks, all with different times--yet the management complain about 1 minute differences.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
maybe its a left over , from working in factory during college. But supped to be in your chair and ready to work before the time you start.

But yea, i have turn my hours in to HP the same way you do, drive them nuts cause i am always over my hours i am allowed. hey its there system.

even if it is messed up.

lemur 6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm, I guess I'm one of the luckier ones. All I have to do is wave my badge at the door when I come into work (clock in), and wave my badge again when I leave (clock out). All the times get put into a database and there's a huge red clock right at the door so you know what time you clocked in/out.

My previous job was super strict with clock in/out. We used the old school punch card with the machine that you stuck your card into. Even a single minute late was late, and clock in/outs are in 15 minute intervals, so if you're late just one minute, you stay an extra 15 minutes AND you get a "point" (12 points in a year and you're fired).

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lemur 6

Hmm, I guess I'm one of the luckier ones. All I have to do is wave my badge at the door when I come into work (clock in), and wave my badge again when I leave (clock out). All the times get put into a database and there's a huge red clock right at the door so you know what time you clocked in/out.

My previous job was super strict with clock in/out. We used the old school punch card with the machine that you stuck your card into. Even a single minute late was late, and clock in/outs are in 15 minute intervals, so if you're late just one minute, you stay an extra 15 minutes AND you get a "point" (12 points in a year and you're fired).
We have the badge thing, as well. And ours has no clock (though there is an internal one that management can use to see who clocked in and out). But, the downstairs employees don't have to use it, just the upstairs staff!

Glad I didn't work at your previous employer's!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I haven't punched a time clock in over 20 years. Back then you actually had a time card that you inserted into a machine and it "punched" in a time. You did that at the start of shift, before and after each coffee break and lunch break, and again at the end of the day.

I forget exactly how it worked but if you punched in late they rounded up to the next 15 minutes or something. So if you arrived at 8:35 and you were to start at 8:30 you actually lost 15 minutes pay because they didn't start paying you until 8:45. Now that was a rip off and to my knowledge illegal, but then again that company wasn't the poster company of generosity either.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, they are allowed to keep track of your time. However, I do not believe they are allowed to use that information when it comes to your pay (i.e., I do not believe they can use the fact that you left an hour early to deduct that from your paycheck).

As far as your questions go regarding coming in early, etc., I'd talk to someone that specializes in labor law to find that out. The Department of Labor web site is a nightmare to navigate.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I haven't punched a time clock in over 20 years. Back then you actually had a time card that you inserted into a machine and it "punched" in a time. You did that at the start of shift, before and after each coffee break and lunch break, and again at the end of the day.

I forget exactly how it worked but if you punched in late they rounded up to the next 15 minutes or something. So if you arrived at 8:35 and you were to start at 8:30 you actually lost 15 minutes pay because they didn't start paying you until 8:45. Now that was a rip off and to my knowledge illegal, but then again that company wasn't the poster company of generosity either.
but then again that company wasn't the poster company of generosity either--I love it!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have an Employee Handbook? Most often thing regarding time clocks are listed in the employee handbook. My last place of work had it written in that you are expected to stay at work until your shift is over, including salaried employees. Although it was never truely enforced, earlier this year an email was sent out as a "friendly" reminder.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Do you have an Employee Handbook? Most often thing regarding time clocks are listed in the employee handbook. My last place of work had it written in that you are expected to stay at work until your shift is over, including salaried employees. Although it was never truely enforced, earlier this year an email was sent out as a "friendly" reminder.
We do have a handbook, but there's nothing about timeclocks, as we've never had them until now. I'm sure, however, they say something about staying until your shift is over (naturally, one should do that). My problem with them is I clocked in a few minutes early; and, even when I clocked out 1 minute early, I was still at my desk, working (but not on the pc, which was turned off). I think they're upset because I clocked in early and out late, which messes up their perfect little world. It's really hard to do this when you can't see the clock they're using to time you. (This is also why my time was 1 minute short.)

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just clock out then when you're actually packing up to leave...even if its just paperwork.

Seems silly I know, but they're probably trying to efficiently track employees to get a good idea of what everyone is working.

cairo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you're sick of the job as it is. It seems that after your long tenure there and your working to make up the time it's very unfair for him to pick on you. But unfortunately he can. I don't think anything he's doing is illegal. I've only ever had one company nit-pick my hours and I left that place within the month. Some people can handle that, but I can't.

Every company I've been in has some sort of written policy about hours, but it's been several years since I've seen one actually enforce it. When I've had people working for me I found that being generous with time-off and flex hours made people more productive. It makes them more task-focused, which causes them to stay until a project is finished, or when there is a tight deadline, they're the group that will be working with me to finish it until midnight.

There are some cases I understand being strict about hours like if you have to cover phones, or if you are replacing someone on a schedule. Then every minute does count. But for your average 9-5 job, I prefer a more relaxed environment.

If you are already fed up with the place, start looking for another job. Life is too short to be working in an environment you hate.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cairo

Every company I've been in has some sort of written policy about hours, but it's been several years since I've seen one actually enforce it. When I've had people working for me I found that being generous with time-off and flex hours made people more productive. It makes them more task-focused, which causes them to stay until a project is finished, or when there is a tight deadline, they're the group that will be working with me to finish it until midnight.
Oh I 100% agree with you on this is how it should be! My first boss at my last job was like that and we loved her. My next boss turned into an evil green management monster and didn't show up till about 11am most days, but would get upset with me if I was late to the office. She would claim working on the road....that translates to checking e-mail from home in her pjs. Nice. Basically I lost so much respect for her I didn't care like I once did. I've recently found that since she's been on maternity leave and upper management has had to support the office, they are fixing a lot of mistakes. I'm so glad I'm not there for that! But it still sucks, under the first boss our office flourished, under the second--well I no longer have a job....

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have that same problem at work. The computer time clock is off (right now) by 2 minutes of my phone clock, and 1 minute by my computer clock, and 2 minutes faster than the clock on the wall. Everytime I get it straight in my head when to clock out (when the phone clock says 6:02, time clock will say 6:00), they try to readjust things and I'm off again!

My work doesn't really get upset about clocking out a minute early, but that means you need to work 10 mins over another day, or use 10 minutes of vacation hours to make it up. They DO get very upset about clocking in late though. I've ended up with occurances because I was running late, the computer clock says I'm on time, but the time clock didn't agree. 3 occurances I get written up...3 write ups, I get fired. I'm on 2 working on three.

Truthfully, this is the most structured job I have ever had, and I hate it. Any other job I had, if I called in saying I'm going to be a few minutes late (which wasn't very often) it was fine. Here, I'm punished. It doesn't even matter if I stay late to make up the time...it's still an occurance.

I think we both need to find new jobs!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel about all this. My work has the computerized stuff and it really is a pain. I think it's rediculous that they will only let me clock in 6 mins early and 6 mins late (when I get off work). They also tell me that if I show up 1 min before I must clock out 1 min before. I never do and rarely clock out less than 5 minutes after I'm already supposed to be done working. They give me too much work to do in the last 30 minutes I can never get it done one time, and I can't start my work before that last 30 minutes. I don't know, they probably hate me as an employee because I just don't give a darn. If they expect me to do the work of two people then I suppose they will have to deal with my poor clocking skills.