Ideas for my Latest Tat

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yay! I have been getting antsy for my next tattoo and I think I finally have a great idea!

I love this statue by Canova:

and I want it to be on my upper back. A placement kind of like this:

but a bit smaller.

I figure I am not very tall, but I think the top part of the wings will be in between/right at my shoulder blades and then the rest will widen out a little bit past them...if that makes sense
...I want it to fit OK there but still be big enough to have detail and be recognizable

What do you think?

shopcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know I'm going to catch some hell for this, but feel compelled to offer another option.
Find the statue, or a nice print of the statue, frame it & hang it on your wall.. That way, you won't be stuck with it for the rest of your life & you can take it down when you are sick of looking at it. Someday you may be another person,skin ages, & the crisp black ink turns blue. What you think is cool now, you may regret 10 or 20 years from now . Think about it.
I was talked out of a tattoo many years ago by a guy who made me think of strapless gown balls & wearing beautiful dresses. That was over 20 years ago, when tattoos weren't so mainstream but I still remember it to this day & have no regrets, no desire for a tattoo.

Bare is Beautiful!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aw, I know you are looking out for me...but I already have one!

Tattoos mean a lot to me. They aren't cliche, they aren't just for "fun" or "cool"...art means more to me than any religion or relationship...and making it a permanently part of my body is very important to me. I am not just a rebellious kid who wants to look cool.
I don't want to cover my body in nonsense, but I do want to add some things that mean a lot to me: art and sentiments...such as the one I am planning for my cousin who is in a coma.

Thank you though!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't see the pic of the tatoo you want, so I can't comment....

I'm not big into tatoos myself, but I've always wanted to get just one - of a black cat, of course!
But I've never gotten up the nerve to do it..

My son, however, is like you, Jarvis: he gets them for a reason - they're a form of art to him, and each one has a meaning behind it. I don't recall how many he has now, but I would say about 10 or so - and they're not small ones, either! He must have a high tolerance to pain: I don't know how he can sit there and have it done - especially in some of the places he has them!
(no - they're not in a vulgar place, in case you're wondering!
.). I can't say that I agree w/ his choice to have so many, but it's his life (and body!). He's a terrific kid though, so I can't complain!
He could be doing a lot worse...

I was, however, not too happy when he got his tongue pierced! EWWWW!!
I don't know how ANYONE could stand to have that done!
I was secretly glad when he had to have it removed, when he started a new job and they made him remove it b/c it was against company policy.
He, however, was really mad.
Can't say that I blame him too much though, after going thru all that pain to have it done, and then having to remove it....

But I kinda agree w/ ShopCat: think long & hard before you have it done, b/c it IS for life!

~KK~

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also think tattoos are a form of art, and I also get mine for a reason.

Back to the original topic.

I think you should get the tattoo sized for your body. I think for a design like that shouldn't be constricted to such a "small" area because it will take away from the detail that could be worked into it. I would go with a black and gray color scheme, or maybe even a sienna color. I also would replace the hard surface under the woman's body with something like fluffy clouds. I would shop around for a VERY talented tattoo artist who specializes in black and gray tattoos. The delicate detailing of the god's wings, the gentle shading of the whole piece, and the "soul" of the piece should be preserved. I would spare not a penny nor patience to have it done.

It's times like this that I wish I would have started my apprenticeship. I would have loved to have worked on a tattoo like this.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I must really be out of sync with the times! When I saw the post's title, I thought you meant ideas for a new tatting pattern, and was amazing anyone is doing tatting nowadays!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kitt Kat...yeah, I will definately think long and hard before I am certain...but I always do. I try to keep a pretty long perion in between tattoos...about a year. The pain is all part of the experience...and it doesn't bother me really

AnneRiceBowl:
Yeah, that is my only problem...I'm tiny, but I want it big enough to include all the great detail. I'm going to shop around for a WHILE...I have been looking at portfoilios too...somone who is good with portraits might be good.
I was thinking just Black and white...I'm not a color fan at all, and it doesnt fit w/ this anyways.
Oh man, it would be really cool to do an apprentaceship...but I don't know if its for me...working on paper I am pretty good...but on a living breathing canvas!? HARD!

MargeCat! Hahahah
What is tatting anyways?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm on the tattoo side of this argument. They definitely are a form of art and self expression. I have 3 of them all strategically placed and easily hid from view by just wearing clothes. My latest one (1 1/2 years ago) I put on my shoulder, I wanted it to be hidden, yet if I wear a dress, or halter top still look nice. I kept it small and on one shoulder to keep it somewhat of a classy tattoo.

I redrew this tat and colored it how I wanted it. I really love it. I show it off every chance I get
We should start a forum, "Show your Tat!"

I think you should get what you want. It looks like you have taken the time to find what you want and if you wake up the next day still wanting it I say way not.

Plus, if you really think about it, with all of our technology and the boom tattoos have seen lately you know they are going to have an easy tattoo remover by the time we are 20

Also I would also think about family and little children seeing your tat. I can honestly say I'm not comfortable enough to have a naked body on my body and have little kids pointing at it. But to each their own!

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
EnzoLeya

I saw that pic! I love it!!! Yeah, a "Show Us Your Tat" thread would be awesome...Tattoos mean a lot to me...

Oh, and the version I sketched I tilted just a liiiitle bit more so that his ...area.... is hidden behind her falling hair.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like tattoos! as long as they are hidden
Mine is hidden, and I like that only the people that I want to see it, get to see it.

I saw a picture in a magazine the other day of a bride with tattoos all over her...to me that doesn't look pretty at all! It takes away from the beauty of the woman..especially on her wedding day.

Just my opinion though, I do not look down at anyone who is covered in em

Oh, and the statue is nice

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i am ALSO on the side of tattoos!!

i have 3, and am getting more. They are a form of self expression for me, and i love it. they are covered if i wear a teeshirt, as 2 are on my upper arms, and one on my ankle.

One is a Celtic Cross, the other a cetic knot, and the last a NYY emblem. ( yes a yankee fan forever, even with the loss of King Joe Torre
)

My next one planned is a celtic knotwork in the form of a 4 leaf clover.

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ooooo I love the show your tat idea. I have 4 all with special meaning to me. I can't wait to get more. I think tats are beautiful.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 tattoos myself but been tattooed 5 times (2 times were touch ups)

I have a bull on my right shoulder blade (don't ask
Im not a Taurus)

I have Kanji on my lower back and a black heart on the inside of my left ankle.

They all mean something to me also.

I think the one you want is beautiful

I want one more and I'm done......... I think

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

EnzoLeya

I saw that pic! I love it!!! Yeah, a "Show Us Your Tat" thread would be awesome...Tattoos mean a lot to me...

Oh, and the version I sketched I tilted just a liiiitle bit more so that his ...area.... is hidden behind her falling hair.
Sorry, don't have any...but, if there's a "Show us your stretch marks/cellulite" contest, I'd be most willing to oblige!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Too bad someone else already has it, because that orchid tat is gorgeous!
The figurine of course is beautiful as well.
Find a very good artist to turn it 2-D for you.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

EnzoLeya

Oh thank goodness
You know, I had thought about getting a fairy lady on my shoulder and her clothes were pretty much falling off. I was ok with that as long as nothing actually showed. I ended up not getting it because it had so much detail I needed to be at least 10 inches long! That was a bit big for what I was really looking for so I changed my mind....not to mension saved 300 dollars!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Sorry, don't have any...but, if there's a "Show us your stretch marks/cellulite" contest, I'd be most willing to oblige!
That is too funny! I would be in that contest too! Age evidentally doesn't make you imune to stretch marks

royalenchntrss

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 5
They all have meaning.. I want more.. we did have a tattoo thread going for awhile.. a few actually.. but if anyone wants to see mine here is the link.. theyre at the bottom
my first was a dolphin.. I love dolphins.. Second is an ankh with a sun around it.. then i have my grandmothers name aroundmy ankle in flowers with her birthyear and the year she died. my 4th is a dragon with the kanji symbol for resurrection and the last are lips with a skull and crossbones.. two of my friends and I got them kind of a kiss my butt thing for where we work... lol its a long story.. but i love them all.

http://www.hazyglade.com/pictures.htm

annericebowl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I didn't think of this earler, but if you are undecided on a placement, sizing, or design, some shops can draw or add a temporary tattoo design on you. If you are unhappy about it or want to change some aspect of it, it's not permanent.

I am currently working on a full back piece design (not quite ready to start the inking). Not exactly sure which direction in a going with it at this stage. I'll have to post it later.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AnneRiceBowl

I didn't think of this earler, but if you are undecided on a placement, sizing, or design, some shops can draw or add a temporary tattoo design on you. If you are unhappy about it or want to change some aspect of it, it's not permanent.

I am currently working on a full back piece design (not quite ready to start the inking). Not exactly sure which direction in a going with it at this stage. I'll have to post it later.
Yeah...I just thought about this option...but I didn't think about having the tattoo parlor do it! I will have to ask around, but now that I'm aware of it, I DEFINITELY want to do a temp version first

Ooo...please post about your back piece! Or at least send me a PM...I think whole-back pieces are awesome, but I am definitely not at that level yet...very anxious to see your progress!!