oohhh....

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So at Petsmart getting the babies food and litter..there staring at me in the humane soceity adoption center is this beautiful 1 y/o male cat.

Just gorgeous...very unique markings- they look like spirals annd swirls...I swear it looks like someone painted him and his fur the color of pumpkin pie...ahhhhhh

If I could bring him home...he is up to date on shots, neutered, owner gave him up because they moved it says..

I wish they did not charge so much for adoption..I understand why they do;If it wasn't so much I would probably bring him home in a minute..

What is your experiences with introducing an adult cat with baby kitties in the house?

(Yes, I am replacing my husband with beautiful furry animals...something I coul dno t have with him here
)

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever read the book "Cats are Smarter than Men" by Beverly Guhl? I think that you would like it

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gradual, patient, loving introductions generally result in success.
As I do rescue, this has happened many times over the years; I follow the experts' guidelines in keeping the new cat in one room with litterbox, food, water, bed, scratching pad or post, toys and frequent visits!, cracking the door and allowing cat-to-cat sniffing intro's under supervision over a period of a week or more, and finally, when they're used to one another's scents, allowing short supervised intro's in one room, and gradually lengthening the intro's until they are all living in the space together. Yes, there will be hissing, spitting, growling, and even blows in many cases; as long as it does not get really violent, this is part of the process. If it gets rough, I use a spray bottle with water to break them up, and sharp "No NO!"'s to let them know this is not encouraged. Over time, they will more than likely get used to each other, and in many cases, because cats ARE social creatures and bond deeply, like all mammals, you may see them curling up together, playing and grooming together, and really loving one another!
If you can, I would strongly urge you to adopt this cat.
He needs a loving, forever home -- and he is worth every penny of the adoption fee.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tarasgirl06

Gradual, patient, loving introductions generally result in success.
As I do rescue, this has happened many times over the years; I follow the experts' guidelines in keeping the new cat in one room with litterbox, food, water, bed, scratching pad or post, toys and frequent visits!, cracking the door and allowing cat-to-cat sniffing intro's under supervision over a period of a week or more, and finally, when they're used to one another's scents, allowing short supervised intro's in one room, and gradually lengthening the intro's until they are all living in the space together. Yes, there will be hissing, spitting, growling, and even blows in many cases; as long as it does not get really violent, this is part of the process. If it gets rough, I use a spray bottle with water to break them up, and sharp "No NO!"'s to let them know this is not encouraged. Over time, they will more than likely get used to each other, and in many cases, because cats ARE social creatures and bond deeply, like all mammals, you may see them curling up together, playing and grooming together, and really loving one another!
If you can, I would strongly urge you to adopt this cat.
He needs a loving, forever home -- and he is worth every penny of the adoption fee.
Thanks for all this..you really think he would be OK ith 3 little ones under 3 months? I would hate to bring him home and him not like the babies...

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

Have you ever read the book "Cats are Smarter than Men" by Beverly Guhl? I think that you would like it
THANKS!

I will cehck it out! Looks funny at Amazon and cheap!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooh...how tempting! He sounds beautiful!
Now I don't have any direct experience, but I would think it would actually be easier introducing an adult to little ones...they are probably very accepting and as long as he is not aggressive toward them, he will probably be automatic top cat (at least until they grow up a bit and start to test him)

sunfairie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Sounds like a red classic tabby.
Hey you~ know I googled this and I looked at the images and that is exactly what he is....gorgeous...how could anyone give him up?

I am going tomorrow to hold him....

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I'm glad you can be happy now with cats! Men are pigs sometimes.

My one year old male accepted the new little kitten very well. The next day he was trying to play with the kitten but had conflicting...ah....opinions on playing with him. On one hand he really wanted to and on the other he was mad at the kitten and would hiss while playing paw eachother

Now they are best of friends. Enzo and Stuart. Leya loves him too. It only took one week for Enzo to like him and 2-3 weeks for Leya to love him.