*fingers crossed* he's going in for xrays tomorrow

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My poor Buddha... he was limping a bit on his back leg and chewing on it a lot, so I brought him in to the vet to be checked out. No idea what was wrong, but I knew there was no obvious injury. Well, the vet did some movement tests on his legs and felt he had some issues extending his leg a certain way.. and while that could suggest hip dysplasia, his limping seemed to be a new thing... so we decided to keep an eye out for a few days thinking it might have been a soft tissue injury from running in the backyard or something... so just restrict his exercise for a week or so and see if he gets any better.

He didn't. Actually he's steadily getting worse. A lot worse. He won't even use that leg now, just hobbles around the house on three legs,if he moves at all. We also realized last night that Boo hasn't been on the bed in a while - which is usually his favorite spot. He doesn't really move from the bedroom floor... actually I had to bring him his breakfast this morning... totally unlike him.

So I'm worried about him.... he's going in tomorrow for hip dysplasia xrays (which are not cheap! holy moly!) and I'm very nervous. They have to put him under anesthesia for the xrays and the last time I had an animal under anesthetic was Az and he died and had to be resuscitated... so that's making me crazy already... and then what if this is really really bad? I don't want him in pain, but oy how in the world am I going to come up with the money if he needs surgery.

Ok I'm done now. Can you all just keep your fingers crossed that everything goes ok and whatever is wrong with his leg can be fixed (and for less than a million dollars?
)? Oh I'm so nervous!

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending Healthy Vibes and Prayers to Buddha. Please keep us posted. I know it's hard but try to relax. I know from personnel experience you can make yourself a wreck over these things!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Many and prayers for Buddha! I hope the problem is readily dealt with, and without costing you an arm and a leg.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers and healing vibes for Buddha -- sure do hope that this is a temporary sprain or something else relatively minor and that he is soon feeling 100% again and spending time on his favorite bed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Well the good news is, it's not hip dysplasia. She said if he has any dysplasia it's in his left hip and it's so very mild that it shouldn't be causing him these problems. He also, according to the xray, has none of the degenerative issues associated with dysplasia...like arthritis or whatever.

So she's thinking now that it might be Lyme disease and is running a blood test for that (at $109.. Boo is not a cheap date!
)

I'm glad it's not dysplasia... but I'm not really sure that lyme disease is any beter

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lymes is not better, not at all.
I know someone who has a dog who sufferred from it earlier this year....and it wasn't fun.

johnnyfee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
poor poor Buddha i would worry my self half to death if my cat had that happen to him

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Lymes is not better, not at all.
I know someone who has a dog who sufferred from it earlier this year....and it wasn't fun.
I've never known a dog to go through it, just people. What happened? Did he have complications or anything? I just want to get myself prepared for what could happen.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She was always sick....tired....lethargic....I can ask her more descriptive questions....I'm trying to remember exactly what treatment was, etc!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OUCH LYME disease is ICKY but treatable ...

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got the test results back... Buddha has lyme disease

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MuttigreeMom

I just got the test results back... Buddha has lyme disease
OMG! So sorry to hear about Buddhas lyme disease
That isn't good...
Update us on how Buddha is doing... For Buddha to be okay!

muttigreemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Awww...poor sweet Buddha! Sending lots of What is involved in the treatment?
I spoke with the vet today and I have to go in to pick up a month's worth of antibiotics... but apparently these are some pretty serious antibiotics because she said to make sure I wrap them in some sort of food... if the pill gets stuck in his throat it could (irritate? burn? something..) his throat and leave scar tissue.

She said the best case scenario is that he goes through the month of pills and he's fine.

The next best case scenario is that he goes through the month of pills and he's fine... and then it comes back later and we have to go through the meds cycle again.

What we're hoping doesn't happen, but is a possibility... he goes through the cycle of meds and he gets better, but once he's off the meds he gets worse again. She said if this happens he's going to have long lasting effects from the disease and she'll have to keep him on a low level of the meds... I think she said for the rest of his life... just to keep him comfortable.

So here's hoping