Junior on top of my kitchen cabinets

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OK, Junior (8 mo) has found a new place to discover...the top of my kitchen cabinets. It took a couple times for me to figure out how he gets up there. Basically, he gets on top of my microwave (which sits on my counter). He then stretches up all the way and just gets his paws over the top edge of the cabinets. He then "climbs" his way up the cabinet door with his hind feet.

Now, I don't have a problem with him being on the microwave or the counters, but how do I stop him from reaching the top of the cabinets? I have cabinets above all the counters so there is no place I can move the microwave to which won't offer the same climbing access.

Mez

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats will often gravitate to the highest point in the room. It makes them feel safe and lets them observe without getting in the way.

If you don't mind him on the counters, why is top of the cabinets a problem?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Werebear

If you don't mind him on the counters, why is top of the cabinets a problem?
It's more that I don't want the front of my cabinets scratched up from him climbing up them. It's also very dusty and dirty on top of them and I would rather not take the time to clean up there.

Mez

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mezlo

It's more that I don't want the front of my cabinets scratched up from him climbing up them. It's also very dusty and dirty on top of them and I would rather not take the time to clean up there.

Mez
Perfect then - just attach dusters to his feet and he can clean them for you

Mine love the top of the cabinets in the kitchen. You'll probably find that as he gets a bit bigger he can get on top of them without climbing up the front of them and scratching them.

If you really don't want him going up there you could try double sided sticky tape on the cabinets?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lay some magazines along the top edges of the cabinets so that he cannot get a foothold. I've done this with a china cabinet that I don't want Tomas on, it has stuff sitting on top of it and there's the slight possiblity he might just be able to tip it over.
After a few failed attempts at jumping on it (magazines and cat go splat on the floor) he's given up. It's also worked for me in the past to keep cats off shelves and shelves with rodent cages on them. Empty pop cans on a string (through the tabs) can work too, but it would be a horrible noise to wake up to.

I actually came across that tip many years ago, but I can't remember if it was in a cat magazine or on a pet show.

You could also try moving the microwave somewhere else.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if you move the microwave once they discovered how to do it, they will continue (and if the microwave is not there, they can always jump)!

You could put some sticky tape along the edge of the cabinets for a week or so and that might work. Once the cat stops, then remove the tape

Charlie likes to get on top the fridge in the kitchen and meow till you come to see where he is. Other day a cabinet door was open a little - he got in there then "told" me "mom, come and see where I am nowwwww"

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I should probably just give in, clean the tops of the cabinets, then put a step or two on the wall to make it easier for Junior to get up there.

Mez

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Question: do you have a very tall treehouse?
No I don't because 1) I don't want to spend the money on one and 2) I just haven't gotten around to building one yet.

Mez

wildflower79

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gizmo does that exact same thing. He goes from the microwave, to the top of refrigerator and then up to the cabinets. If I can catch him in the act I'll try to stop him. I don't typically clean the top of cabinets so I can only imagine what kind of stuff is up there.

Unfortunately once he's up there it's almost impossible for me to get him down so I just have to leave him, unless of course he's hungry in which case all I have to do is shake his food and he'll jump right down.