My kitten Meows ALL night!!

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just adopted a new kitten and he meows all the time.

He just started coming out of his designated room to look around after my toddler goes to bed (he hides from him otherwise). During this time he meows and makes a sounds like he is crying generally when I leave his side, and the ENTIRE time he walks around the house at night (does not walk around during the day).

Sometimes he meows because he wants to play, i know because he hits me with his head and walks to the toys and I play with him but other than that i dont know why he is doing it
. I try to let him stay out but the meows are so loud that they keep me awake and wakes up everyone else so I have to put him in his room and close the door.

Please help me
My kitten is so loving and he follows me everywhere at night but I cant take this meowing.

We are going to the Vet on Sat. for a check up even though he has his shots, I just want to have the peace of mind that everything is ok with him, so I will ask him if it could me medical but I need some suggestions for the next 2 VERY long nights.

kittieshasme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
To me this sounds very normal for a young kitten so I doubt it's anything medical. From what you posted it sounds like the kitten is seperrated from the rest of the household during the day, played with for a brief time before bed and then left on his own the rest of the night. This kitten really needs more social interaction - loving, cuddling, playing. How old is he? The younger a kitten is removed from it's siblings and mother the more attention it's going to need. Most cats do out grow this. Try giving him more attention and play time that really wears him out before bed. Just remember he won't be a kitten forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittiesHasMe

To me this sounds very normal for a young kitten so I doubt it's anything medical. From what you posted it sounds like the kitten is seperrated from the rest of the household during the day, played with for a brief time before bed and then left on his own the rest of the night. This kitten really needs more social interaction - loving, cuddling, playing. How old is he? The younger a kitten is removed from it's siblings and mother the more attention it's going to need. Most cats do out grow this. Try giving him more attention and play time that really wears him out before bed. Just remember he won't be a kitten forever.
He is seperated from us the entire day because he seperates himself, I only keep him in his room after i have gone to sleep until my husband wakes up so that about from 12 -1am till 5 or 6 am. when my son is not asleep he hids which is from about 7:30 am till bed time (8 or 9), dont know what to do about that.

I am a stay at home mom and go to school at night but my husband is home during that time (he likes my husband too) and we would play with him if he came out. When I come home from school I stay up and play with from about 10-1am (which is too late for me) but cant go longer because I am tired.

He is 5 months

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think because he is hiding and sleeping the whole day, he cannot help being active at night. Also, even though cats are quiet by nature, they learned that humans are vocal creatures and so they meow to communicate with us. Cats are not very comfortable with children so I can understand why your kitten may be a bit wary of your son.
It is obvious your kitten trusts you and your husband, and yet he is still adjusting to his new surroundings (like you said he just started coming out of his designated room). Your son is a big part of his adjustment and maybe a more difficult one. So I agree with KittiesHasMe that this may not be a medical problem.
Because I have no experience with introducing cats to children and viceversa, I cannot give suggestions. But I am sure there are many more TCS members to help you.

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

I think because he is hiding and sleeping the whole day, he cannot help being active at night. Also, even though cats are quiet by nature, they learned that humans are vocal creatures and so they meow to communicate with us. Cats are not very comfortable with children so I can understand why your kitten may be a bit wary of your son.
It is obvious your kitten trusts you and your husband, and yet he is still adjusting to his new surroundings (like you said he just started coming out of his designated room). Your son is a big part of his adjustment and maybe a more difficult one. So I agree with KittiesHasMe that this may not be a medical problem.
Because I have no experience with introducing cats to children and viceversa, I cannot give suggestions. But I am sure there are many more TCS members to help you.
My almost 6 month old kitten cries when put in his room at bedtime.
He does quiet down but cries early in the morning which I least appreciate on weekends. I hope he grows out of this!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmun52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ernie has been getting a little better
Last night he did not meow so much. Hopefully he will get even better tonight. I took him to the ve today (forgot to talk about the meowing) but he said all looks well and gave me some revolution for prevention of heart worms and for deworming him just in case because I have a small child and I got him from the shelter.