Our kitten died this morning :(

schel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am new here, my name is Schel.
We got a kitten 2 weeks ago, named him Oreo. He was so cute and cuddley.
I did not want to get a kitten in the first place and my husband brought him home and I fell in love!
He was fine the first week and towards the middle of the 2nd week I noticed he just did not seem to thrive. I mentioned this to my husband and he didn't act as if he was worried at that point, but when I said it again, he admitted he thought so to and was also worried.
Sunday he just seemed blah, wouldn't play, and only ate, and then would sit or sleep. Wouldn't play or anything.
Then this morning was the worst thing ever since my Goldie died (my Golden Retriever) 2 years ago. It brought back all those bad memories when she was sick and died in my arms.
My son found Oreo this morning. Immediately screamed "He's dieing!! He's dieing!" I ran downstairs thinking he was overreacting again, because he often does and sure enough, our new little kitten ly there in his litter box limp.
We moved him to a fluffy towel, brushed off the litter stuck to him and brought him upstairs and called my husband who came home to be with us during this time. The kitten whimpered and ly there lifeless. We felt helpless. We comforted him as much as we could to be sure he knew he was loved. We prayed and stayed with him until he took his last breath. I then listened with my stethescope and knew it was over. No more suffering. He had gone to be with Goldie up in heaven.
2 weeks. How can we get so attached in 2 weeks?

We did. My son called everyone he could to tell them and cry with them, grandma, our neighbors who treat him like a son of their own. One neighbor offered that she had a friend she worked with that had a kitten she was looking for a home for. I said no right now. To soon.
We also have a 11 year old cat that I worry about now. I hope that the kitten did not die of anything that Moo Moo could have caught from him.
I am calling the vet tomorrow to have Moo Moo checked out.
We had a funeral in the back yard today and buried him under a tree and planted Tulip Bulbs by him to remind us of him for many years to come of that sweet kitten we loved Oreo.
Thanks for letting me share my story, I feel a little better.
Schel

catzrule40

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Sorry about your loss. Your family is in my prayers during this difficult time,our cats mean so much to us they are furry lil children.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your kitten. I agree with you. I'd have your adult cat checked out just for peace of mind.

RIP little one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

schel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Judi

Where did you get the kitten?
First of all, thank you for all your thoughts and love you have sent for our Oreo.

Second, my husband got the kitten from a FREE kitten sign he saw when coming home from work one day. The kitten came from a farm cat who had 10 babies. I wasn't there so I do not know the conditions of where he came from. My suspicion is that Oreo did not come from a home that kittens were taken very good care of. Who knows what he could have had. The vet said there is a 2 week incubation for feline leukemia so to wait and watch Moo Moo to see if he starts acting sick. Then bring him in to have him checked out and tested. My husband said why bring him at all? I said to make sure he does not have it and if he does not then to vaccinate him so if we ever do decide to get a kitten again we will not have to worry about it.

My thought... I will be involved in the next time we pick out a new kitten. And it will not be a farm kitten, it will be from a rescue, where all of our previous animals have come from anyways.

Does any one know should I be worried about my Golden Retriever Katie that she could have picked up something too?

We try to keep her from eating the left overs from the cats, but that is impossible, for some reason, Golden Retrievers like to eat the house if they could! At least every one I have owned has!

We always say if we ever win the lottery we are going to...

1- Donate to the church
2- Buy a hobby farm and have many rescue animals.

Well thanks again!
Schel

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww at least the little guy got to spend the time he had left in a good home where he knew he was loved. I think theres a reason for everything and maybe that why he came to you.

I don't think you have to worry about your dog.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Condolences to your entire family on the sad loss of Oreo
Although Oreo was only here on earth such a very short time, it is good to know that he was around long enough to know the love of a real family, to know what it was like to hear his name called out to him, to know comfort and affection during his last hours.
Please tell your son that out in California, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, there will be a candle burning tomorrow in honor of Oreo and his loving family - and up at this elevation, I truly believe that Oreo will look down and see its light shining and tell all the angels, "See - that candle burns for me!"

schel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

Condolences to your entire family on the sad loss of Oreo
Although Oreo was only here on earth such a very short time, it is good to know that he was around long enough to know the love of a real family, to know what it was like to hear his name called out to him, to know comfort and affection during his last hours.
Please tell your son that out in California, in the Sierra Nevada Mountains, there will be a candle burning tomorrow in honor of Oreo and his loving family - and up at this elevation, I truly believe that Oreo will look down and see its light shining and tell all the angels, "See - that candle burns for me!"
Thank you so much! I will tell him and have him read this.
Schel

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes... your dog will be fine; there aren't a lot of germs that can pass between species like that.

Farm kittens... *sigh* There's just so many people who think it's OK to just let their cats reproduce like that, and then give away the kittens, who haven't had any vet care or shots or anything. And you and little Oreo had to suffer the results.

schel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

Farm kittens... *sigh* There's just so many people who think it's OK to just let their cats reproduce like that, and then give away the kittens, who haven't had any vet care or shots or anything. And you and little Oreo had to suffer the results.
This does make me feel a little better. Kind of makes me feel like maybe we did not do anything wrong. That thought was always in the back of my mind.
Thanks!
Schel