Cats and Halloween

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's why we get paper bags instead of plastic! Tiger and Angel like to get in them so we don't want to risk having them suffocate.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We stopped adopting black cats this past weekend and won't until a week after Halloween.

Not sure if we will stop all adoptions that week or not.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

We stopped adopting black cats this past weekend and won't until a week after Halloween.

People would seriously adopt a black cat just for Halloween?!
What is with people? It's not like it's a rental!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our RIP cat Brownie was black and I would freak out every Halloween if I couldn't get him inside. Nothing happened to him, though.

Speaking of holidays to keep the pets in, how about the 4th of July? All those fireworks to frighten them.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that Halloween doesn't mean much over here. The last few years I've seen very few 'trick-or-treaters' out over the last few years, and there aren't really any pranks that happen, other than egg throwing. I don't know what it's like over the rest of the country though. I would hate to be scared of what might happen to my cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sadieandziggy

I'm so glad that Halloween doesn't mean much over here. The last few years I've seen very few 'trick-or-treaters' out over the last few years, and there aren't really any pranks that happen, other than egg throwing. I don't know what it's like over the rest of the country though. I would hate to be scared of what might happen to my cats.
I live in Germany, and 20 or 25 years ago, the holiday was virtually unknown. It has caught on here, though, probably due to the "Halloween" horror film series, and we do get "trick or treaters", perhaps because many neighbors know I'm American.

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
OMG! I had no idea it was this bad!!! Who would adopt a black cat JUST for Halloween?!
I wish I could save all the little black kitties.

I will be sure to be careful with the babies, even though we really dont get Tick or Treaters...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The rescue my MIL works with does not adopt black cats at all through October.

My rare, blue eyed black girl that I had as a kid was poisoned on Halloween.
And this was a cat that would not approach strangers or let them get closer than 50 feet away from her.

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our local Shelter does the same thing, not allowing any black cats to be adopted from mid October until after Halloween. I have never heard of anything happening in my area but have heard a few horror stories from other places.
Better to keep them safe by not letting them be adopted out this time of year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

OMG! I had no idea it was this bad!!! Who would adopt a black cat JUST for Halloween?!
I wish I could save all the little black kitties.

I will be sure to be careful with the babies, even though we really don't get Trick or Treaters...
That's a good idea, as it's not just black cats at risk. With all the extra foot traffic, ringing of door bells, opening doors, and chatter, not to mention "weird creatures" roaming the streets, Halloween can be very disturbing for both indoor and indoor/outdoor cats.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We dont allow adoptions of black cats around Halloween either - in fact we have already stopped aopting them out. I am not sure if we stop all adoptions, but we already had someone come in looking for a black cat small enough for his daughter to carry - sounds like a Halloween kitty to me

tickytat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AlleyGirl

Our shelter is the same way. They can fill out paperwork on black cats but can't pick them up until a week after Halloween. This deters the freaks that want the cat for satanic purposes. Sick, sick, sick!!!! I can't believe people would intentionally hurt a cat, or any animal. The one thing I cannot stand more than anything is seeing (or hearing) an animal be tortured or in pain.

Whatever they do to these animals should be done back to them!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the first cat i ever got was a black cat the day before oct 31.
they where fighitng over who was going to put her to sleep casue no one wanted to do it
i got her for a GF that was born on oct 31 year later no gf,
but i still had a sweet kitty. If the people at the APL ever
knew how much of the world that kitty would get to see in 13 years! haha.

i still miss that cat so much.

kimmykat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually saved a black cat from these stupid guys. She was so tiny and they were going to throw her by her tail. It was Halloween and they had done this with 2 cats already but she was black and so they decided they were really going to torture her and they wanted to set her on fire. Well we hadd her for about 20 years and she died of old age. Now I have Nala and she was dumped at our house in October. I have always loved black cats and I never understood why people think they are evil.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Halloween is the BIGGEST reason not to allow your cats outside! And we even lock them in another room when handing out candy just to be on the safe side for a few hours of opening/closing the door!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

People would seriously adopt a black cat just for Halloween?!
What is with people? It's not like it's a rental!
Yep. The local cat rescue I dealt with also has this policy. There are some sickos out there who would go to the trouble to adopt a black cat, then torture/sacrifice one. I also know of someone, with a black cat, which luckily survived the ordeal. And it was just beofre Halloween.

I have 3 black cats (my fave cat color--I adore black cats). Even if I let my cats outside (I don't), I keep them in until after Halloween.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Halloween is the BIGGEST reason not to allow your cats outside! And we even lock them in another room when handing out candy just to be on the safe side for a few hours of opening/closing the door!
Loki, one of my black cats, actually sat on the stairs in the foyer to watch the trick-or-treaters last year! The kids thought he was a decoration. When DH told them he was real, they loved it: "Wow! that's cool! You've got a REAL black cat for Halloween!"

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not too worried about the cats this Halloween...though I should be for trick or treaters. This is the first neighborhood we've lived in with a lot of kids. I don't know what time they start to T-or-T, but if we had kids in our neighborhood, they would be done by the time I got home from work or school

In anycase though once the doorbell rings, 2 cats will run and hide, 1 just doesn't move, and Whitey, well he may be the most issues...depending on his mood.

I thought many shelters stopped all adoption during the week of Halloween because of certain cults possibly sacrificing the cats?

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by KimmyKat

I actually saved a black cat from these stupid guys. She was so tiny and they were going to throw her by her tail. It was Halloween and they had done this with 2 cats already but she was black and so they decided they were really going to torture her and they wanted to set her on fire. Well we hadd her for about 20 years and she died of old age. Now I have Nala and she was dumped at our house in October. I have always loved black cats and I never understood why people think they are evil.
OMG, I would've have gotten myself in some serious legal trouble if I had caught someone doing this (hint: Pennyslvania has the death penalty). Pathetic isn't even the word for those b*stards. Such "real" men, huh? They have to prove their masculinity by torturing something small and helpless. Wow. I'm impressed. Make me just wanna hop into bed with such "studs". (Sorry to be crude, but I feel strongly about "people" [using the term loosely here] who do this stuff.) Or, as my Dad-In-Law likes to say, "I'd call him a pr**k, but a pr**k is part of a man, and he's no man." (DIL also once used a bit of frontier justice to stop a local guy, who was deliberately running over cats with his car, and laughing about it. The neighbors were too scared to confront this jerk, who was known to be violent in other ways, and a drunk. He actually was bragging about the cats, and hurting dogs. DIL heard about it, and paid him a little visit, shotgun in hand, and told him in no uncertain terms what would happen, if he did it again. He didn't do it again! Love my DIL for this, and many other reasons.)

Kudos to you for being so brave as to stand up for the cats' lives, and fpor adopting them. You're hero in my eyes...