My IT department is going to kill me.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We are so slow at work I've decided to research things that only I am interested in. Such as:

1. Did you know there is a CURE for Leprosy? I didn't. Interesting. Oh and there are still Leper colonies working today.

2. Polio is making a come back. Scary.

3. There is a very scary drug resistant staf germ.

I'm off to look at things about my womanly body. They are going to hate me.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nah...if they are truely monitoring where you're going. If they are it'll be next week before they see it.

The most interesting I ever saw was at my last job. A mid-60s employee would read articles on How older men can get younger women. :|

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, knew all of those.

The last one is why I get so ticked off with people who go to the doctor with a cold and demand antibiotics and the doctor gives them to the person!!
The top antibiotic we have IE: the very best one, is called Vancomycin, and some doctors give that out like candy "just in case".

And anyone who does take antibiotics and doesn't finish their course of treatment because they "feel better" and want to save some for the next time they may feel sick!
All that does is give the bacteria left in your body that hasn't been killed off by the antibiotic a chance to develope a resistence to the antibiotic.

Once a bacteria is resistent to Vancomycin, you better believe in God because the only option you have then is prayer that you don't die from whatever it is you have that Vancomycin can't kill.

The Spanish Flu of 1918 that killed hundreds of thousands is nothing compared to what is going to happen once more bacteria become resistent to antibiotic. People will be dying by the millions from what was a "minor" infection not even 20 years ago.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Yep, knew all of those.

The last one is why I get so ticked off with people who go to the doctor with a cold and demand antibiotics and the doctor gives them to the person!!
The top antibiotic we have IE: the very best one, is called Vancomycin, and some doctors give that out like candy "just in case".

And anyone who does take antibiotics and doesn't finish their course of treatment because they "feel better" and want to save some for the next time they may feel sick!

Once a bacteria is resistent to Vancomycin, you better believe in God because the only option you have then is prayer that you don't die from whatever it is you have that Vancomycin can't kill.

That makes me SO mad, too. My office manager - an otherwise VERY bright lady - is the first to tell me that I should get antibiotics when I'm sick - regardless of diagnosis.

People like that - and the doctors that cater to them (shouldn't they KNOW better?!?!?) just may be the real downfall of the human civilization, because al lthey are doing is treating illness with ineffective drugs that simply allow nasty bacteria to mutate and become resistant.

SIGH...people are idiots.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know.

Or using the antibiotics they "saved" a year later! Like it's even going to be effective.

I took microbiology last semester and learned more than I really wanted to know

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Do you know that because doctors have cut back on giving antibiotics that people have become extremely sick and even died from secondary infections that had they been treated for in the first place, wouldn't have went that far?
It's actually a problem more doctors are seeing now.

Unfortunately some people do need antibiotics for what would be a simple cold to anyone else.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hee hee. Microbiology - my favourite subject.

You should research environmental microbiology and see how important the bacteria in our soil is, and how global warming affects it.

Let me tell you, I have changed my whole outlook on recycling - I now recycle more than ever and I have been accused of being a tree hugger.

rachelh1018

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

Nah...if they are truely monitoring where you're going. If they are it'll be next week before they see it.

The most interesting I ever saw was at my last job. A mid-60s employee would read articles on How older men can get younger women. :|

How...ehh.. wonderful....

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

Hee hee. Microbiology - my favourite subject.

You should research environmental microbiology and see how important the bacteria in our soil is, and how global warming affects it.
Ooo! Ooo! Look up how much bacteria is on your can opener!!!

I remember having a microbologist student wait on me at a coffee shop. As she's using the can opener for an ingredient for my drink she begins to tell me about all the bacteria that are on can openers because most people don't wash theirs

I still took the drink though

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ooo! Ooo! Look up how much bacteria is on your can opener!!!

I remember having a microbologist student wait on me at a coffee shop. As she's using the can opener for an ingredient for my drink she begins to tell me about all the bacteria that are on can openers because most people don't wash theirs

I still took the drink though
It is so funny how people freak out about how much bacteria is on stuff and then do nothing about it. Fact: bacteria is everywhere, whether we like it or not.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kiwideus

It is so funny how people freak out about how much bacteria is on stuff and then do nothing about it. Fact: bacteria is everywhere, whether we like it or not.
That's very true. I stopped using those antibacteria washes simply because I was killing the good bacteria that prevented me from being sick. I was sick more times from using that stuff then if I Hadn't used it at all.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you can do all of that at work, then your IT dept does not know what they are doing lol

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

a little charm and money works most of the time

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

This guy was faaaaaarrr from any Harrison Ford look alike
looks got very little to do with it.
hehe if i counted on looks to get a date, i would never have one