Please Help Urgent

craven38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last night I opened the door to my house to leave and my wife said something from the other room so I closed the door to go talk to her. But when I did our 6 week old kitten had tried to run inside and got it's head caught in the closing door. I didn't close it to hard but hard enough to make th kitten start kicking and flipping around.

I thought that this had killed it as it was flipping around really bad. But it did not die and now it cant walk, stand up or anything. It just lies there and moves it's legs like it is trying to stand up.

It puts it's front legs behind its head and doesn't appear to be in pain. It just cant stand or walk.

What do you think is wrong? What should I do? Is there anything a vet could do? SHould I put it out of it's misery since it cant walk? Is there a chance it could regain the ability to stand and walk?

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really can't tell you what might be wrong with the kitten, but you need to take him to the Vet ASAP.

Good luck, I hope the kitten makes a full recovery.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG! That is not good...there is definitely something wrong with your kitten.

All we can say is you should go to the vet as soon as possible. You shouldn't wait long, flipping around like that is not a good sign. If shes in pain, you've got to do something...Calling the vet is the best thing you could do. They will know what can help your kitten!

We hope your kitten gets better

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please....take your kitty to a vet immediately.
This is a critical emergency.

Let us know what you find out please.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

craven38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We live in the country on 10 acres and the kitten was born from a stray cat that came to our house a couple of months back.

The problem is we dont have the money to cover the Vet bill right now as just a check up here costs over $100.

If I had the money I would have gone there first thing this morning but instead I was forced to to try to find help somewhere else. I feel terrible about this situation but I really dont have the money to cover a vet visit.

If anyone has any suggestions other than the vet please let me know. I hate to see the poor little thing like this.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is your kitten doing today? Does it still look like its in pain?

craven38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No she doesn't look like she is in pain at all. When I hold her she goes to sleep and appears normal. She only acts strange when she wakes up and tries to get up to walk. I think it freaks her out because she get stand or walk.

My wife gave her some water with a medicine dropper which she drank. She also tries to nurse on her mom but the mother cat doesn't want anything to do with her.

Do you think it is possoible she could come ut of this? Do you think it is most likely permanent?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Katz4Life

How is your kitten doing today? Does it still look like its in pain?
Unfortunately, the problem with using a cat's pain as a barometer of their health is that they tend to hide pain as a survival mechanism because they can be pray to larger predators.

I hope that someone will have an idea that will help your kitty.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by craven38

We live in the country on 10 acres and the kitten was born from a stray cat that came to our house a couple of months back.

The problem is we dont have the money to cover the Vet bill right now as just a check up here costs over $100.

If I had the money I would have gone there first thing this morning but instead I was forced to to try to find help somewhere else. I feel terrible about this situation but I really dont have the money to cover a vet visit.

If anyone has any suggestions other than the vet please let me know. I hate to see the poor little thing like this.
If the kitten is still in this condition and you can't afford a Vet, please take it to a rescue, shelter or animal control. I hope it's ok, but it sure doesn't sound good.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catcaregiver

If the kitten is still in this condition and you can't afford a Vet, please take it to a rescue, shelter or animal control.
I agree...
more than likely this kitty is suffering.

There is no way we can tell online what the problem is.
Has there been any improvement?

craven38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SHe isn't kickin around as much but she still has no better control over her movement. SHe still cannot stand or walk and if placed on her belly she just eventually rolls to her side.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her neck is probably broken.... I have seen that frequently during my childhood. I, too, am from a rural area, and understand only too, too well that small animal healthcare is both scarce and expensive (the laws of supply & demand). Sometimes, the truest love is the love to let go - I am sending you prayers and vibes that you and your wife will find the love and the courage to do what is best for the kitten. I am lighting a candle for you all, and it will be lit on my desk throughout my work day......Please keep us posted. Susan

craven38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the kind words and prayer. I called my local vet to see what could be done and they recommended just talking her to the local animal shelter to be put to sleep. And even if I wanted to take her in I would need to make an appointment and take her in late this evening. Stupid I know.

It breaks my heart to see the little girl like this. I gave her more water with a medicine dropper and she drank it. It also looked like she had a tear in her eye. I put her with her litter mates and they all licked her and huddled around her. It was very sad.

A friend of mine has some pain killers that I checked around on the net and found that can been used on cats. Was thinking that maybe it would be best to just give her a high dose of this to end her misery. I'm about 30 miles from theclosest shelter and cant leave until my kids get home from school. I just hate to see her like this anymore.

What do you guys think of this idea?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I fear that she might choke on the pills and just suffer more.
Please don't try that.

If it were me, I would make that apt. with the vet if you possibly can.
Even though it would cost a little bit of money it would be the quickest and easiest for her.

If you choose to go to the shelter, call ahead to be sure they will be open when you go there.

This is just so sad.

Thank you for caring.

craven38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was planning on crushing the pill and put it in water so that she just drinks it as normal. This isn't something I want to do but she appears to be getting worse. I'm pretty sure she wont make it another 4 hours until the Vet has an appointment or until we can take her to the shelter.

I'm only considering it because I hate to see her like this and I just cant think of anything else to do that would be humane. Letting her suffer for 4 more hours would be cruel as it does appear that she is not comfortable anymore. She has also soiled herself in the blanket we had her wrapped up in and I'm at wits end.

If I crush the pill and put it in water so that is fully disolved do you think this would be the way to go?

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not trying to be critical but when we have pets, we have the responsibility to care for them no matter what the cost. I'm sure your vet can arrange some kind of payment plan with you to care for this poor little girl. If it was your child, you would not even think twice about the cost of care or where the money would come from.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE Take this cat to the vet immediately!

sharper16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Also, how can a vet tell you to just take her and put her to sleep without even examining her. They cannot diagnose over the phone.

No, I do not feel that overdosing her on medication is humane. The only humane way is through euthanizing.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not think that you could get enough down her.
Please don't try this.

Do you have a friend who could take her to the shelter?

craven38

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just asking for help and not doing anything until I get some feedback.

I decided mone wasn't an issue but timing is. She will not last that long and my local Vet doesn't seem to give a s***. I have called them 4 times trying to get her in faster.

I'm not even a cat person and dont like cats that much (sorry People) but I am a caring person and will help out anyone or any animal that needs it.

I have had others suggest the old fashion methods of dealing with an injured animal that I find cruel and wouldn't even consider. My thoughts are for the kitten, not on how to deal with her as cheap possible.

I'm very aware that an owner should be responsible for heir pets. And I am trying but just for you information this kitten came from a stray cat that we took in so that it wouldn't die. I am trying to figure out what to do so please dont rush to criticize or blame me for being inhumane as I am just asking for your help and suggestions.

If I didn't care I wouldn't have even bothered to ask for help I would have just left her outside to die. But again, I try to help anything that needs my help to the best of my ability.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you mean you would have to make an appointment with your Vet or with the shelter to have her euthanized? I can't imagine if you just took the kitten in that they would make her continue suffering.