Help me, please? Cheap clumping litter recommendations needed.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know, yet another thread asking about cat litter brands.
And from me, no less, a staunch A&H advocate. Until now.

Well, things are a changing.

A&H is most definitely being made differently - the dust factor is unreal, and has irritated Ginger's eyes (she jumped into a cloud of it in her haste to use the fresh litter before I was even finished POURING it
) and I'm getting really tired of not being able to breathe at all while changing litter.

And it seems to clump less and crumble more, causing a smellier box - the dust doesn't clump.

And it is relatively expensive, $10 for 30 pounds - on sale. That lasts me about a week and a half.

And I need to cut costs somewhere, and it sure as heck isn't going to be on cat food.

So, please, especially those of you that have switched FROM A&H, what are the very best INEXPENSIVE clumping litters out there? I'm in the northeast US, and we don't have all brands available.

I need to cut my monthly litter costs by 25-50% if at all possible. Please, help? What should I switch to???

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use and recommend PetGold clumping litter -- $11.99 + tax for 30 pounds and it truly does clump and is low-dust. You can get it for $9.99 on sale -- at Petco.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I mix Target brand/Wal Mart brand, with Tidy Cats(got it on sale for $8 for 30 lbs). I also sometimes get Hy-Vee(grocery store chain) brand litter.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
I go to Sam's Club and get "their brand" litter... it's a 35 or 40 pound bucket for 8 or 9 dollars... it clumps well and I don't have a problem with dust

And Oliver often hops in the box to contribute when I'm scooping or changing it out
goofy cat... at least I know he's not alone haha

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I get my litter at Costco.
Back to Nature's Purrfect litter.
All natural clay clumping, low dust and deodorized with baking soda and natural lemon grass.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've used Sam's Club litter and liked it a lot, I use Scoop Away mixed with Tidy cats.
Scoop Away for the clumping (amazing) and odor control, TC to reduce the dust and tamp down the perfumey smell Scoop Away has- they have an unscented version though, but not in multi-cats, which I have
I have heard good things about Target litter, really thinking about trying it myself as it would be nice to cut my litter bill too

catsallover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My local Walmart quit carrying the Tidy cats multi cat with crystals in the big bucket, so I have been using only the Special Kitty multicat with crystals (comes in a bag, but is clumping- I saved an old bucket and put it in that
) that I used to mix with the Tidy Cats. So far, so good- I'm still pleased. I think it is less than $7 for 27 lbs (or so), and convienent for me to get.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would say if you have costco try that...

I cut my bills by switching to the clumping feline poine... 3 for 10 at target on sale ... one box lasts about a month

kristi812

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
i use special kitty. a green box from walmart. haven't had any trouble with it, as long as you keep up with the scooping. it's like 5.47 for the box. i get one every other week for 5 cats and 2 litter boxes

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At Walmart they have their Special Kitty Clumping Litter. You get 28 pounds for around $5.48. There is still a little dust that comes from when you pour it but its not too bad...Hope you find a good clumping litter for your fuzzies Gingersmom, you'll have to update us on if you found a better litter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kristi812

i use special kitty. a green box from walmart. haven't had any trouble with it, as long as you keep up with the scooping. it's like 5.47 for the box. i get one every other week for 5 cats and 2 litter boxes
Thats what we use too!
I love it and there's no dust problems at all & for us, it clumps really well! Cheap & works well!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I used A&H clumping for years but as others have said, it became really dusty.
I have asthma and it was really bothering my ability to remain wheeze free.

I now use only Worlds Best Original.

It took about a month to transition over to a corn based litter from clay but it was worth the trouble.
That horrible clay dust is gone from our home forever.

One 17lb bag last one month for 2 cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do have a Costco in my area, but I don't want to pay the membership costs just to shop there for only one item - it makes no sense to me.

Sam's Club is 40 miles away, and again, don't want to have to pay to save money.

I did see the Special Kitty in Walmart, but as it is in a giant bag, I would have no way to store what isn't being used in the litter boxes.

Hmm...I guess I'll go check out Target at lunch time...

I don't want to pay the same, I want to pay less for more - I know, I'm asking a lot.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I mix Target brand/Wal Mart brand, with Tidy Cats(got it on sale for $8 for 30 lbs). I also sometimes get Hy-Vee(grocery store chain) brand litter.
That's pretty much what I've been doing. Tidy Cats is the only brand name my crew really likes. Target's store brand is the same texture as tidy cats scoop, so the guys like it. Most recently I bought a regular box of Special Kitty scoop and mixed it with Tidy Cats (Raven has been demanding FF Medleys and it's cutting into other things moneywise--so cheap litter it is!
).

Special Kitty Scoop with crystals is pretty good too. I like that it doesn't really smell like anything. I always have a plastic litter bucket to store leftover litter, so we have a place to store it.

If the budget is an issue--Special Kitty litter is usually cheaper than Target brand litter.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I do have a Costco in my area, but I don't want to pay the membership costs just to shop there for only one item - it makes no sense to me.
If you know someone with a membership, go with them or get them to pick it up for you, that's what we used to do.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

If you know someone with a membership, go with them or get them to pick it up for you, that's what we used to do.
I don't, because no one I know has the kind of $$ to buy in bulk like that.

I used to have a membership there when my daughter was small, but would only shop there once a year when I got my tax refund.

Now I'm thinking, maybe I will buy Tidy Cats or similar to get the bucket so that I can buy the bags of cheaper stuff after that, and I will be able to store it in the bucket.

I only started using A&H because I like the baking soda, and because it was what was recommended at the pet store when I was bringing Ginger home that first night.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I just got back from Target, and wound up buying (on sale) a 28# jug of Tidy Cat Small Spaces (multiple cat) at $ .34 cents per pound, a 28# jug of Tidy Cat crystals something-or-other (multiple cat) at $ .34 cents per pound, and a 38# bucket of regular Tidy Cats (multiple cat) at $ .36 per pound.

The bag refills are only $ .19 cents per pound! This is DEFINITELY a better way to go, and the litter looks just like the A&H, from what I can tell.

I looked at the Target brand, but the cost savings didn't seem to make much difference, and it had smaller pieces in the litter which makes me think: dusty.

So, tonight we try the new stuff - I've got my fingers crossed that no one notices the difference!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

I looked at the Target brand, but the cost savings didn't seem to make much difference, and it had smaller pieces in the litter which makes me think: dusty.
Yeah, they raised the price of it significantly this summer. We lean more towards Special Kitty or the grocery store brand now.

I buy the finer textured litter because the guys are front declawed and need the finer sand.