Dandruff Problem

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Waffle seems to have a bit of a dandruff problem. Recently, my fiance and I did a bit of research on the causes and possible solutions and all we could turn up was that having Salmon Oil in the diet can help. I've been buying bottles of Alaskan Salmon Oil from Petsmart and mixing it into her dry food, but the problem still persists.

Does anyone know anything about how to take care of this or other possible explanations for why she could be having this problem? I hate to think she's constantly dealing with itchy dry skin.

Thanks in advance!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHat is Waffle eating ...??? wet >?>> dry >>> and brands/ type ??

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sablemerle

Dandruff and itchy skin can be a sign of food sensitivity. What kind of food is Waffle eating?
Originally Posted by sharky

WHat is Waffle eating ...??? wet >?>> dry >>> and brands/ type ??
I had this problem with Jamie several years ago, and found that eliminating food with beet pulp from his diet solved it, so I definitely think you should take a good look at food ingredients.

You could also try salmon oil sold for human consumption (1 500 mg. capsule squeezed over food every day), or canola oil.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Waffle eats only dry food. Most of the time she has Purina One, though ocassionally we give her Iams. Generally I choose the indoor cat or weight management types.

Thanks for the idea on the human version of salmon oil! We will definitely try that. Also a good idea to check for certain ingredients that may be causing it.

Any other suggestions?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by katspixiedust

Waffle eats only dry food. Most of the time she has Purina One, though ocassionally we give her Iams. Generally I choose the indoor cat or weight management types.

Thanks for the idea on the human version of salmon oil! We will definitely try that. Also a good idea to check for certain ingredients that may be causing it.

Any other suggestions?
That is the issue... wt management formulas of grocery quality have little in fatty acids... indoors are mainly wt mgmt with some extras......

Do you have access to a pet store of any kind??? or try purina naturals it is decent

Cat allergies

Wheat

SOY

fish...

Hard to find grocery dry without them... plus any hard to digest like corn and by products

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katspixiedust

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

That is the issue... wt management formulas of grocery quality have little in fatty acids... indoors are mainly wt mgmt with some extras......

Do you have access to a pet store of any kind??? or try purina naturals it is decent

Cat allergies

Wheat

SOY

fish...

Hard to find grocery dry without them... plus any hard to digest like corn and by products
Thanks for the tip. I didn't realize the weight management foods were so little in those acids!

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've fed my dogs & cat Purina One bc the kitten one & dog ones have meat as the 1st ingredient. In the Adult cat ones I only feed Purina One Adult cat as the others have cereals/wheat as 1st ingredient. I know there not the absolute best but when you only have easy access to a supermarket they are the best. I also alternate with Fancy Feast & Optimum for the same reason. She also gets 1/2 pouch of Whiskas wet.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the dry only diet her choice? It couldn't hurt to try and get some wet food into her. Stanley has dandruff problems from time to time. I don't give him the fish oil every day, but 2x a week seems to have helped his skin quite a bit.