spayed momma cat attacking spayed kitten (and me!)

montanama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

I'm really hoping someone here can help me. My girlfriend and I adopted Celeste, who is a female DMH who's about 2 years old. She's had one or two previous litters plus the one she had when we met her. We also adopted Montana, one of her kittens from her current litter.

Celeste was a stray I beleive, before she was taken in by the shelter that we adopted her from but I dont know anything else about her first 2 years of life.

She was a really nice cat, affectionate but not too needy when we first took her home. She kind of didn't like to be pet, it's like she wanted to be pet but then felt we weren't doing it right so would give up and walk away.

She went through about 2 heats before we were able to get her fixed (paperwork from the state and such). We also got her kitten (female) fixed as well.

Ever since then she's taken to chasing the kitten if she gets too close. She'll like attack and bite her on the head, then sort of 'freak out' and jump away. The kitten tiptoes around the house now avoiding her.

Celeste also has taken to biting me in the face when im at my computer desk. I allow her to sit/lay on it since the cats I grew up with never bothered me but sometimes she'll just snap and swat me in the face (no claws) or bite me.

She's gotten me twice just under my eye and once on the nose with her teeth. Not breaking the skin but it still scares me! Usually i had been petting her absently before she attacks. I haven't figured out if there is a certain area she doesn't want to be touched or not. She doens't seem in pain and for all other intents and purposes seems pretty normal.

Ive tried keeping her off the desk but she's so persistant and i'd like to try and find out why she's doing it as opposed to just keeping her from situations that cause her to do it. I'm worried that she might do this to guests or my girlfriend or even any children we may have in the future. I want to find out whats going on to try and stop her from doing it.

Has anyone else experienced this with their cats? we were told there wouldn't be a problem having a mother and a female kitten. *sigh*

Montanama

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Montanama

She was a really nice cat, affectionate but not too needy when we first took her home. She kind of didn't like to be pet, it's like she wanted to be pet but then felt we weren't doing it right so would give up and walk away.
Like my Joji, Celeste looks like she prefers to be petted on her own terms. I would not force her. A good strategy is to see how long she wants to be petted, and then next time you stop before she walks away. She will look forward to your company

Ever since then she's taken to chasing the kitten if she gets too close. She'll like attack and bite her on the head, then sort of 'freak out' and jump away. The kitten tiptoes around the house now avoiding her.
Looks like you will have to do some reintroductions. Cats depend on scent to recognize a fellow cat friend. The kitten after the surgery, probably smells strange to her and treats it like a stranger.

Celeste also has taken to biting me in the face when im at my computer desk. I allow her to sit/lay on it since the cats I grew up with never bothered me but sometimes she'll just snap and swat me in the face (no claws) or bite me.
Biting should be discouraged even if it's just innocent play. In the stickies above there are several way to stop this behavior.

I am sure all your problems will be solved with patience. Welcome to TCS!

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats who have been on the street are very sensitive to possible aggression. It may seem to you that you aren't doing too much, but that might not be the way the cat sees it.

Petting cranks the cat up. In a secure, trusting relationship, this is diverted into purring and enjoyment. In a relationship where the cat isn't sure, this creates tension in the cat.

I would ignore the cat and let her approach you. When she does, use your elbow, your forehead, a shoulder. NOT your hands, which she might associate with bad things.

Don't pet her. Just touch her. This will not whack her out, and then either of you can withdraw.

Feliway is a hormone spray which can calm cats. Like catnip itself, some respond, some don't. And do have some nip parties. If the cat responds, it will drain tension.

This cat has been through a lot, and you need to respect that. If you had lived in the streets, running from predators, and suffered through unexplainable medical procedures, how would you feel if someone installed you in a home? Better, but not yet.

Think of her as a convalescent. Because she is.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes keeping offspring works out, sometimes not. Females tend to be more territorial, so she might resent her female offspring.

I find 2 males or a male/female combo works out better. Give it a few more months; if things don't change, then maybe one or the other needs to be rehomed for peace with both.