Do you like big cats too?

zipperkitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I love my house cats, but I was glad to read that a south china tiger, who was thought to be "functionally extinct, was spotted in the wild! What a lucky person to get this picture!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm guardedly glad to read that, too -- but only if this tiger and any others prowling around out there can be kept safe from the "industry" and from the "tiger farms".

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I love the big cats - would love to own a Cheetah, Cougar, and Snow Leopard.
I have read that in Ethiopia (sp?) the nobility used to keep cheetahs to hunt small game.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We were privileged to see a bobcat walk right across our path on a Happy Isles trail at Yosemite. Stopped, looked us, the stunned bobcat looking at the stunned persons, turned and went back into the woods. Got to see those "ear eyes" as it left.

Yes, a bobcat is not that much bigger than our cats, but to see one so up close was amazing. We told the nature center guide what we saw. She said we were really lucky, then called the rangers to make sure that there wasn't a sick bobcat around.

Yosemite is a wonderful park! Best in spring when CA has a wet winter. Falls are overflowing then.

Take the Yosemite buses -don't drive! The bobcat thanks you for this.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bobcats can get 25-30 lbs. Someone in here owns a few "exotic" cats (bobcat included). Maybe he can give us a size comparison

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course I love the BIG cats
Yes, I love our smaller domestic cats as well

Bobcats can get 25-30 lbs. Someone in here owns a few "exotic" cats (bobcat included). Maybe he can give us a size comparison
More than happy too, I just didn't see this post until now. Bobcats do vary in size with their range. The southern spotted bobcat is smaller, 20-30 pounds, while the Northwest bobcat, such as Amber, Boris and Nakoma, is much larger from 30-70 pounds. Males are larger than females in all species. The northern bobcat has more pronounced ear tufts than the southern bobcat. This size variance also holds true for the cougar as well, with the southern cougars, such as the Florida panther, being the smaller variety. (Cougar, Panther, Puma and Mountain Lion are all the same cat. Many names have been given to the Puma, but is most frequently called the Cougar).
This is great news for the South China Tiger. However, now that it has been exposed, I sure hope it can be safe from all the poaching that goes on over there.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pippen

This wasn't my neck of the woods but I found it interesting. Illegal...but that sure made a great picture.
Illegal only because the state has a stupid ban law!! That ban needs to be lifted, as well as with all states, that have ban laws on exotics. God forbid they will punish this guy for owning a Serval, when there are other issues that need to be addressed.

pippen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AmberThe Bobcat

Illegal only because the state has a stupid ban law!! That ban needs to be lifted, as well as with all states, that have ban laws on exotics. God forbid they will punish this guy for owning a Serval, when there are other issues that need to be addressed.
Sorry to bring up the legalities--it wasn't an appropriate place to bring up that aspect in this thread. Apparently the locals were mostly amused by this particular cat being loose in their neighborhood. They are beautiful animals.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

There are 70 POUND bobcats?????? I've never heard of them that big. Are you sure they are not Lynx ????
The northwest bobcat can get quite large. The 2 males I have are big boys. Boris weighs 40-45 pounds, but it has been quite a while since I weighed him. Nakoma is even bigger. During the summer he weighs about 50-55 pounds, but when he fattens up for winter, he is close to 60 pounds. The breeder where I got Boris from, has a male who is 70 pounds.

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

I loooove big cats.

These guys are my favorites:
Oh yeah, the beautiful Caracal
They remind me of small cougars with huge ear tufts. I would like to add a Caracal to my exotic family, as well as a Canada Lynx.