bathing and fleas

alto77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
after so many views on flea elimination and bathing i have decided to use the "dawn" dish soap and fog the apartment approach..luckily my 7 yr old male cat aaron has taken to the wet washcloth and brush quite wel, just a little protesting....:-) we will see how well the raid fogger works,my cat will have to endure the ride to the beach for a while. this should be the easy part for him...and thanks again to all with your quick and helpful responses!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alto77

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
wrowwww purrppp!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did I miss something about Dawn dishsoap getting rid of fleas? I've never heard that one. I've heard of vinegar doing the job but I'm not even sure of that one.

mamakitties

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

Did I miss something about Dawn dishsoap getting rid of fleas? I've never heard that one. I've heard of vinegar doing the job but I'm not even sure of that one.
I was surprised about this but Dawn dish liquid soap was recommended by my vet to use on my cats. Although they had no fleas on them but I still use that whenever I give them a bath.

I remember Dawn use to have commercials cleaning up animals from oil spills.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Dawn is recommended because it is usually safe for cats. Dawn itself does not kill fleas. If you drop fleas (from combing your kitty) into water with Dawn in it, the fleas will drown just as would any insect dropped into any soapy water. Bathing your kittie will get rid of the fleas on the kittie but not the ones in your house which will jump right back on after the bath.

I think there may be some confusion over how Dawn works with flea issues.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MamaKitties

I was surprised about this but Dawn dish liquid soap was recommended by my vet to use on my cats. Although they had no fleas on them but I still use that whenever I give them a bath.

I remember Dawn use to have commercials cleaning up animals from oil spills.
Yes, I use and reccomend dawn. I just didn't know that it got rid of fleas.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Dawn is recommended because it is usually safe for cats. Dawn itself does not kill fleas. If you drop fleas (from combing your kitty) into water with Dawn in it, the fleas will drown just as would any insect dropped into any soapy water. Bathing your kittie will get rid of the fleas on the kittie but not the ones in your house which will jump right back on after the bath.

Opps didn't see this. But That's what I was thinking... that it was misunderstood about how it works. Makes sense.

calicoblue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Gosh, I've always just dropped fleas into plain water and they drown very quickly....

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CalicoBlue

Gosh, I've always just dropped fleas into plain water and they drown very quickly....
Glad that worked for you. I prefer the Dawn method myself however.