My cat fell out a third story window.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to share my trauma of yesterday.
This is the entry I put in my online journal:

Oh my.

So Patrick leaves for work, yada yada, I write that entry about cleaning and packing.

I start cleaning the room and put on a movie on the computer to watch while I'm cleaning and packing up the bedroom.

Well Sophie (who has done this a million times before and we always discourage it) got up on the air conditioner that was still in the window. This is all ironic since yesterday was the day I planned on taking out that air conditioner.

So in the blink of an eye, I don't even see nor hear it happen, the side panel that you pull over to block out the air gives out and Sophie falls three flights down onto cement.

I had no idea this happened because I didn't hear a thing.

I just started hearing these deep horrible meows so I'm looking for Sophie in the house and she's not in here. I get this strange
ing feeling (a mother's instinct) and RIPPPP the air conditioner out of the window, probably breaking it, and look down and there she is all twisted and crying.

I runnnn down the stairs and pick her up and she's screaming and howling in pain.

She couldn't walk and everytime she moved she was in so much pain.

I started crying hysterically and called patrick to come home immediately, he had JUST gotten to work at 9:15.

So I call every vet in the area and was recommended to take her to the Rhode Island Veterinary hospital because they have all the equiptment if she needs surgery.

The poor thing was in SO much pain for over an hour....as soon as we got there, they shot her up with pain meds then had to sedate her to do x-rays and exams.

She broke her back leg and dislocated her hip. The doctor said if I had gotten her there any later she would have needed surgery.

So we discharge her around 3ish and bring her home...I try to give her the pain meds prescribed and she starts foaming at the mouth. Then she panics and jumps and her cast comes off. It's very difficult to keep cats tied up in casts apparently.

Soooooooo, we had to drive back (this place is 30-45 minutes away mind you) and she had to be put under again, realigned and taped up again.

Total cost: $700+ and that isn't including the follow-up visits and such.

This is not including the follow-up visits we need to make.

Now, I had very special plans for my saved up money. Remember how I was talking about how I saved up money and I was proud and happy that I could finally get some stuff I needed? Well yeah.

There goes that.

I mean, money doesn't mean anything, at least my baby is ok. She's in so much pain and she fights me everytime I try to give her medicine. She's not eating or drinking water, which means if this continues we have to go back to the vet hospital and she needs to be put on an IV again.

It's the worst thing watching her struggle to just turn around and howl in pain.

ALSO, all my savings I had in a bank account down in my hometown in Massachusetts in my grandmother's name (safety reasons, I'm sure you can guess why). So we had to drive down to Taunton...and while we were down there, the #1 apartment I want to get called us to come in for an interview.

Soooo, we went in for the interview, things are looking pretty good, we'll find out for sure after today then goes the rest of my money for first and last.

So I had over $3500 saved just a week ago(you all know how poor I am and how I'm struggling to get out of here and get furniture and stuff) and now........gah!

But anyway, so that's my story, I hope we get a good news call today about that apartment. Please say a little prayer for me, I need to get the heck out of Rhode Island.

And say a little prayer for my little Sophie. She's (well he, but you know what I mean) is in *SO* much pain and has to be confined to this tiny locked in space for two weeks at least.

I hope there are no further complications, when we go back in a few days they'll determine if she needs surgery.
And then today's entry:

Sophie's cast came off again.

We might have to go back again tonight and she'll have to be put under again to reattatch it.

IMHO they should not keep charging me everytime we bring her in, if they did it right the first time, it wouldn't keep
ing falling.

Ok so I have to bring her in Thursday. Patrick is not going to be thrilled about this at alllllllll.

My poor baby.

I just gave her her pain meds again and they make her foam at the mouth and she's not eating or drinking.

GARGH!!!
I wanted to share that horror.

I'm keeping her confined to a dog crate with a little bed, litter box, and food...although she WONT eat and I have to crush up her medicine, put it in tuna water and force it in her with a syringe.

I really need a hug.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my! So sorry to hear about Sophie! For Sophie to feel better!! Poor little girly...

Our cat Sliver fell out of a 3rd story window & thankfully nothing happened to her...
We fixed that window immediately, never thought that would happen!

Many Hugs! Thats a tough thing to go through! Hang in there...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was just sharing my story, I don't see why this was moved...but yeah, that's her last night in her cast.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
How scary! I'm glad she is going to be OK.

Is that the Emergency vet on Warwick Ave in Warwick?

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

How scary! I'm glad she is going to be OK.

Is that the Emergency vet on Warwick Ave in Warwick?
No it is the one in East Greenwich.

Thanks everyone, I'm having trouble even breathing today....I feel sooo awful for her and everytime I give her medicine or try to do anything for her she yowls like I'm torturing her.

It makes me cry everytime.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

I was just sharing my story, I don't see why this was moved...but yeah, that's her last night in her cast.
It was moved because it was a Health issue with your cat.
There are others here that have probably gone through something similar that can offer advice.

danimarie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AbbysMom

It was moved because it was a Health issue with your cat.
There are others here that have probably gone thoguh something similar that can offer advice.
Gosh I hope so!!!!

She won't eat or drink water...I don't know what to do!!!

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh! I'm so glad she's ok.

What have you tried to tempt her with foodwise? Raven's appetite has been sketchy sometimes lately so he's been getting a lot of FF Medleys (florentines are his fave) and FF salmon loaf, as well as Pro Plan in aspic.

PS-that's really stinky that you're getting charged for all of those followups.
Our vet includes follow ups with a surgical procedure's cost.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my gosh. That is scary because on top of the air conditioner is one of thier favorite places to sit. I have a sliding windown and I guess it's about the same as the time they pushed the plexiglass out from above the AC unit & Levi, Jordan & Maggie were all walking on it. I was sound asleep and that sixth sense woke me up just as Isaac was getting ready to push Levi off so he could be out there too.

I hope Sophie gets better and I can't imagine how hard this is for you. There is nothing worse than when your baby is in pain.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor girl! Poor YOU!!!

Thank goodness the AC didn't fall out of the window with her - she could have been killed!

Poor kitty - now drink your water and take your meds like a good girl, your meowmy is just trying to help you! And no more climbing on top of air conditioners!!!

Let us know how she does!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DaniMarie

Gosh I hope so!!!!

She won't eat or drink water...I don't know what to do!!!
Oh my gosh!! Poor baby...and poor you!! That had to be so frightening! Have you tried giving her meds without crushing them up? Mixing them with their food can sometimes make them scared to eat or it did with my girls. The taste of the meds stays in their mouth longer when crushed as opposed to leaving the pills whole. I hope she starts eating and drinking soon!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh poor Sophie! She must have been so terrified, too, on top of the pain!

Do you have one of those kitty fountains? Sometimes they'll be tempted by running water, even when they aren't interested in a bowl. Or you might give her some warm KMR... just to lure her into drinking something.

Sophie darlin, feel better soon...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Omigosh. Absolutely praying and sending healing thoughts to poor sweet Sophie, who is priceless! Thank you for being the kind of guardian to her that everyone who has a cat should be.
She needs to come first -- the rest, if it isn't meant to happen right now, can wait.
GOOD LUCK to her and to you.
Keep us posted, please!
And here's a bowl of delicious cat food for Sophie, who I hope is enticed to regain her appetite SOON.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^But wouldn't a fountain be rather large to fit into a crate with everything else and the cat?

I haven't looked through the other thread about "Force feeding experience", but you may find some tips there if it comes to that.
Since she's not wanting to drink on her own, I think it might help to try getting a little clear unflavored pedialyte down her or even mix it with can food to make a gruel.

I agree with the others though, just give her the pill by itself or get some pill pockets for them.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my God!!! I hope she is okay, poor baby.

My bungalow is built into a hill so the back windows are 3 stories high. Ziggy jumped out of one whilst pregnant (desperate to get out) But luckily she landed on the balcony below (flats underneath). So she only fell 2 stories. I was so scarred though. She nearly did it again the other day but I managed to grab her before she did.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Iam so so so so sorry. That is just terrifying. I do have to warn you to be VERY careful about her not eating. If you go the force feeding/FLS link that is my story with my cat kismet who got FLS from not eating for 4 days, and it can happen to any cat that stops eating. I advice trying to force feed her using mashed up wet food with water and an oral syringe so that she is getting something. If this continues and she won't drink maybe ask the vet to show you how to give her fluids next time you are there, they can send you home with everything you need if you are comfortable giving her needles, because you don't need any secondary problems!! this is hard enough wihtout any extra stress!! Also, make sure you complain to your vet that you aren't happy about the cast coming off!! I did that when they sent my cat home still sick and they saw me for free the next time......btu I understand your money pain, I am a student and when everything was said and done with my kittys.......bye bye $1300......