How are your cats during baths/grooming?

k.j.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry if this has been posted/is posted in wrong forum.

How do your cats react before, during and after having a bath or being groomed?
I've never given Fina a bath - I'm afraid to, to be honest!
Coriander doesn't mind her baths at all. As long as you hold her front paws, she just sort of chills out and rides it along. Sometimes she'll meow, but usually only when you first put on the shampoo.
They both hate grooming.

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of our cats only freak out a little when we have to give them a bath. We make sure the bath is as pleasant as possible
Nice warm water, soothing talking, but even that doesn't make the water go away...
There are a couple of our cats that can never get a bath, they would tear us to shreds. Luckily they are really clean cats, but thankfully the ones that need the bath are more calm!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our cats do very well actually. They get a bath every month though, so they would have to get good at it eventually. Both me and my SO are allergic to cats and as long as they get a bath once a month we do fine. I try to give them a treat after their bath everytime too. I think that helps.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine do wonderfully on most occassions
I started my kitties out getting baths as soon as I got them so they are used to being handled/etc so that when it is necessary, they are good about it.
I bathe all my animals once every season normally.

Tomorrow ALL of them (cats and dogs) are getting bathed and groomed. My fiance's mom is comming in town on Fri, so i want them to look nice!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had very few cats give me problems in grooming/baths. Charlie and Spooky were probably the best cats. Both of them sat in the tub, stayed there on command and didn't mind the bath.

Charlie screamed at us the first bath (in the sink). He loves the showerhead for rinsing and complains more when the bath is done then during. He is such a good cat.

I only had one longhair cat; rest were/are shorthair, so very few problems there - can more/less comb them with the flea comb and they are groomed

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Despite frequent bathing since they were young to get them used to it, Spike, Spooky Bear, Tabitha, Sofia & Roxy pretty much flip out at bath time. Roxy is the worst of all of them.

Captain Squishy & Garfield are squirmy but not awful. The rest have no problems with baths, they sit perfectly still.

They're all fine with being brushed. Sofia & Roxy think they have somewhere better to be and don't want to sit still for long, but the rest don't want me to stop. They're all good about having their nails trimmed. A couple of them require two people to get the nails done, but most of them just sit still and let me do it.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley gets a bath about once a month, more if he gets a messy behind because of his long fur. He doesn't mind the bath at all, and likes to play with toys in the bathtub while I'm washing him

He absolutely HATES brushing/combing though and I end up bleeding every time I do it

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mine doesn't care, she is good about grooming

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats absolutely love to be brushed! They turn this way and that way and roll over and stretch out to make sure that I don't miss a single inch of them.

So far as bathing... I used to take Chynna into the shower with me and she didn't mind it at all. I would hold her and shampoo her and then hold her up under the shower and rinse her off and she was fine about it.

Abby doesn't mind getting a little wet, but I haven't dunked her in a bunch of water to check how she is about bathing. But she lays in the sink even if it's dripping on her, hehe

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by K.J.

Sorry if this has been posted/is posted in wrong forum.

How do your cats react before, during and after having a bath or being groomed?
I've never given Fina a bath - I'm afraid to, to be honest!
Coriander doesn't mind her baths at all. As long as you hold her front paws, she just sort of chills out and rides it along. Sometimes she'll meow, but usually only when you first put on the shampoo.
They both hate grooming.
Angel turns into a little clawing, meowing, fighting devil! We have to hold her down by the scruff just to keep her from clawing at us!
Tiger on the other hand will stay put with minimal restraint. He doesn't like it but he won't fight hard or meow like we're harming him. I had a neighbor ask me what in the world we were doing. She laughed when I told her that we were giving Angel a bath.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haven't bathed Hennessy yet, but I may by accident here, since he likes climbing in the tub while I'm running the water...

He lurves being brushed. He just purrs his little heart out.

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My girls are wild thangs when it comes to me bathing them!! I think all three have had *maybe* two real baths. The last one was my last try.
It's way to hard trying to wrestle and scrub them at the same time, while trying to keep my arms and hands outta reach of talons all by myself!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine love to be brushed, tolerate having their teeth brushed fairly well, and don't seem to really notice when I'm trimming claws.
Sho's had so many baths in the past that he sort of gave up fussing over them. He's figured out the less he struggled the sooner he got back out again, and that when I scrub the shampoo in to the fur on his back that it feels good.
He does, however, get impatient when I try to dry him.

I haven't attempted to wash Tomas yet, something tells me that he will fight, growl, and may even try to bite me.

Not that it matters.... I can't bathe either of them now even if I wanted too.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are fine during baths, started them young and they get them frequently (for shows) so they don't really mind.

sillyjilly

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitters cries a little and says "no" but she does a lot better than some of my other cats when I was growing up. She thankfully doesn't need many baths, only when she gets dry and itchy and tries to pull out her fur! She loves getting brushed however!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my guys are really good about grooming and baths. I started bathing Sassy when I got him as a kitten because he had fleas really bad. He was only a little over five weeks old at the time and I was afraid to use anything on him. So for the first couple of weeks he got baths every second day.

Linus I was a little concerned about bathing because he was over a year old when I got him. However he will do anything Sassy is doing I was giving Sassy a bath in the tub one day and Linus jumped in also.

You can imagine how interesting it was trying to deal with to soaking wet cats.

Sassy I usually groom everyday because he has really long hair, and bath maybe once a month. Linus has very short hair so doesn't really need either often but he like to participate anyway.