TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for sharing those websites! We have never seen any pigs like that before

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO unless the "mini" has more value then being "cute", I can't see creating them. The minitures cows are not only cute, easy to handle, but are perfect for a smaller farm family for their own dinner table.

DH and I agreed that if we get about 10 acres and build our own house in the future, then we will pick up 1-2 miniture cows for our own use.

If the mini-pigs are only cute and not for the dinner table, then my question is why?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Potbellies exist and IMHO stop messing with nature... Now I would love a pot belly and can have one in my town or actually any pig under 300lbs

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

If the mini-pigs are only cute and not for the dinner table, then my question is why?
They're for pets, obviously. Why should pigs only be for the dinner table? People eat chickens and rabbits. People also keep chickens and rabbits as pets. I can't see making a distinction for pigs. If you're OK with miniature cows, why not other miniature animals?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And the potbellies came about because of poor families who's only means of housing their very valuable meat source, was in the home with them.

They were never bred down that way on purpose, they came about as a convenience to those families and eventually, the pet trade picked up on them and kept them 'small'.
Small being relative as potbellies weigh anywhere from 90 pounds to 200 pounds.

As potbellies in most westernized countries are kept only as pets, I don't see anything wrong with keeping them as small as they can without compromising their health.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I see your point. I bred pet dutch rabbits and would not eat them. I just wonder - if you own a mini pig, do you still eat bacon and ham?

I guess its more of "farm animals" thing with me - ducks, chickens, cows, horses, goats, pigs are all farm animals - not pets. Even if you own a pet horse, he still has more purpose then to just look cute.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Ok I see your point. I bred pet dutch rabbits and would not eat them. I just wonder - if you own a mini pig, do you still eat bacon and ham?
LOL Good question

I've only ever raised one pig and he was supposed to be for food, but I loved him, he was probably the smartest animal I'd ever known.

I love ham, bacon and sausage, and even though my guy was eventually slaughtered and butchered, I could not bring myself to eat any of the meat.
I learned some time ago (while raising fryer rabbits) that if I know the animal personally, I cannot eat it.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are adorable!
I would have one. I have always wanted a pot bellied one too.

There was someone in the trailer court I used to live in that had a pot bellied pig and I loved it when they would let it outside...back then I thought that was soo weird.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not to long ago I actually thought pot bellied pigs were much much smaller then they actually are. I would own own little piggies, or big piggies!! that makes me sad about eating them though (I stopped eating meat when I was little, I threw up when I found out what steak was made out of) and fryer rabbits
...ok moving on.....

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
oh my goodness, those are the cutest little things I have seen!! perpetual piglets!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG those are the cutest freaking piglets!!!

They're so cute I could just eat 'em!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They're too skinny to make decent bacon.

katzyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mini-anything's are adorable, but I'd never support creating them, or owning them, as much as I'd hate to say. Too many mini animals have too many health issues, and I think that if someone wanted that animals that badly, they should make arrangements to have the full-sized one, who they could probably find EASILY in a shelter. If they can't take a full-sized one, then they need to find another pet, not make a mini who could possibly live with deformities and internal health problems for it's entire life.

I feel that way about EVERY mini, even though I still fawn over them, such as munchkins, mini doxies, mini horses, mini...everythings.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness I want one! My dad ran a pig farm and when they are little like that they are just so cute! They stay small and cute forever! AWWWW

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A full-grown minipig, as I understand it, will weigh about 100 lbs., which is about as big as a large dog. Smaller than a commercial porker, but not all that small, either.