My poor cat, please read...

jennluvstuck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I have a 5 year old cat named Tucker. He is an indoor only cat, and has been healthy up until this point. He is at the vet right now under observation, and hooked up to iv's and meds. I just wanted to know if anyone's cat has every displayed these symptoms.

Today is Monday, last Wednesday night he threw up food, and then a liquid substance. Thursday he didn't eat, and began to throw up bile. Friday morning I took him to the vet. The vet gave him medicine and fluids, and then sent him home. He threw up all weekend, and did not eat. Everytime he drank water, he threw it up a few minutes later. I took him to the vet first thing this morning. He was given an x-ray and blood tests. Nothing showed up unusual in the blood work or the x-rays. I have called and checked on him twice today, he hasn't thrown up, but he still won't eat.

I am devasted and scared to death that I might lose my kitty. The vet is unsure right now what is wrong with him. Has anyone ever seen these symptoms in a cat? Please, anyones advice would be nice to read. I feel hopeless, I don't know what to do. Thanks for your time.

dragonruler159

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, to be honest im not an expert, in fact I have little knowledge of cats, but when my sister was dehydrated she threw up everything she ate and she also threw up liquids that she drank, im just comparing to what your cat has, maybe its dehydrated and it doenst want to eat or drink because it somehow knows that it is going to be throwing up? I have no idea, it was just a suggestion.

brokenheart

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I would stay optimistic because at 5 he is still a young guy. We forget sometimes that animals often get stuff and get over it, just as we do. But they do!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there any possibility he could have eaten something and has an intestinal blockage? If he is vomiting that much I would hope the vet would give him some fluids...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennluvstuck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for everyones' reply. My Tucker is home now, and he has not vomitted in over 24 hours. He has peed a lot since I got him home around 3:00 this afternoon. He still is not interested in eating, if this persists I am supposed to take him back. I have forced a couple of morsels in his mouth and he eats them with no throwing up. The vet gave me vommitting and inflamation medicine and an appetite stimulant. Any advice on getting him to eat? Thanks for your time!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can use meat baby food - the kind that has meat only - I use Gerber #2, I believe. Just make sure there's no onion or garlic. My cats eat it better if I finger-feed it.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Find the grossest smelling wet food, put some in a bowl or on a paper plate and nuke it in the microwave for about 10-20 seconds. This will enhance the aroma and make it more appealing to him. If he eats it, you can crush his pill up in the food and he'll get it that way.

Stephanie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennluvstuck

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your concern and all of your replies! Tucker is doing so much better! I basically provided him with a buffet; tuna, whitefish, treats, beef entree, and 2 kinds of dry food. Hallelujah, he ate some tuna, a little dry food, and some of the beef entree! Thanks for the advice on heating up his food, it really attracted him to it!

I was terrified of losing my kitty, and devastated that I couldn't do more to help him. I am so thankful he is getting better. Hearing him meow again is music to my ears! Thanks again! I will definately keep up with this website, because I know how much it helped and reassured me!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JennluvsTuck

Hello everyone! Thank you so much for your concern and all of your replies! Tucker is doing so much better! I basically provided him with a buffet; tuna, whitefish, treats, beef entree, and 2 kinds of dry food. Hallelujah, he ate some tuna, a little dry food, and some of the beef entree! Thanks for the advice on heating up his food, it really attracted him to it!

I was terrified of losing my kitty, and devastated that I couldn't do more to help him. I am so thankful he is getting better. Hearing him meow again is music to my ears! Thanks again! I will definately keep up with this website, because I know how much it helped and reassured me!
I love seeing updates with smiley faces!