Need To Get A New Puter!

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just wondering if I should buy a new computer or just go through the hassle of upgrading the one I'm currently using. With the newer games coming out my processor isn't even close to meeting the minimum requirements. I have a 1.6Ghz Pentium III and need to upgrade to something that is at least 3.0 or higher (preferably higher). I haven't priced anything yet but do you think it would be cheaper to just by a new PC?

I want to buy and play Medal of Honor Airborne!!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly I would get a new one. Especially if it is a laptop. You want a pentium 4 at least. It will be much faster than what you have and most likely your computer will also need a new graphics card, new video card, amoung others. Computers are getting to be more and more affordable and are lasting longer. I'm guess that your computer is at least 4-5 years old? I would really advise getting a new one. I use my parents computer every once in a while and it drives me bonkers! It's 4 years old and has a much slower processer and just looks old. Good luck!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I think it would be much cheaper to just get a new one. You will have all of the drivers and know that all of the hardware inside will be compatible.

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey--atleast something ages faster than us women!

Jeez--4 years old is outdated for a computer. Thanks goodness they are getting cheaper.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's less of a headache in the long run just to buy new. I'm glad that I needed a laptop for school otherwise my 1.5 year old computer was too old and slow to run any games.

Just don't get Celeron...unless you plan on upgrading again in 2 years. I find that celerons "die" over the time. Pentium 4s keep on chugging for a longer time.
You can also get away with a slightly less powerful processor if you go with hyperthreading. If you have the spare change around though just get 3.0 GHz or better.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It will be cheaper for you to buy a new one. Computer prices have come down so much that it's practically the same price to upgrade as it is to replace.

Also, you can get a Dual Core Processor which is great!

A tip about video cards. Don't get the latest and newest. Get last years model. Nvidia probably. Last years model will do just fine for online gaming and it will save you 1/2 the price of a "this years model" card. So you would be looking at $200 to $300 for a card vs $700 for a current model.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

It's less of a headache in the long run just to buy new. I'm glad that I needed a laptop for school otherwise my 1.5 year old computer was too old and slow to run any games.
bulid not buy please

anyway i have airbone, running on a dual core, 2.8 system 2 gig ram
400 dollar video card with 512 ram, and the dang thing still does not run right,
anyway way wait a little longer i think the next gen cpu are coming out. Should be able to get the current ones now, for 1/4 the price

i would go with the best video card you can afford. its a gaming thing.

if you system is that old, about all you can do is go with a new system

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an Intel Core 2 Duo and (I don't know what this stuff means, so I'll just list it) a processor speed of 2 GHz, a 4 MB L2 cache (?!), 2 GB memory, and built-in bluetooth, webcam, and wireless. It's a desktop. It cost something around 1500$, but I got a free printer with it (that I didn't need and gave to my sister
) And it's pretty. And does lots of fun linguistics-geek stuff like LaTex and a cooler version of Praat.

Anyway, my old computer was 6 years old. But then again, I fail at doing anything real with computers, heck I even paid them to install some of the software!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

Hey--atleast something ages faster than us women!
i thought women got better with age?

Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom

Anyway, my old computer was 6 years old. But then again, I fail at doing anything real with computers, heck I even paid them to install some of the software!
thought you had a apple?

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Essayons89

I was just wondering if I should buy a new computer or just go through the hassle of upgrading the one
Upgrading never never worth it. You should always buy a new one. Nobody should upgrade his computer, unless if you mean by upgrading to buy a new printer or other accessories but simply no way it's worth to upgrade the computer itself.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our gaming machine was built. So I say build. I think the hubby plans to upgrade ours soon--I think we need a faster chip. Our current configuration is pretty darn fast, but still not quite speedy enough. Some new game he wants requires a faster machine (I can't remember the name of it).
I know the game is very new.

The last time we bought a machine, it was a Gateway completely customized to be a smokin' fast gaming machine. We bought it in 2000. If I were to buy again, we'd do the same. So for us building is cheaper.
Right now Mike's dream machine is over $5k from Alienware.

If you build you can have a really cool tower.
Ours has an insane amount of fans and vents. Plus a cool looking blue LED light in the front.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the help so far!

I'm not sure what I want to do just yet. I've replaced a motherboard before and it wasn't all that difficult. I'm leaning towards keeping the one I'm currently using and building my own system as time and money allow. The most expensive parts should be the motherboard, processor and video card. I've swapped out enough drives and cards (including the aforementioned motherboard replacement) that I have a very good idea of what I'm doing. I think it would make for a nice project and there really isn't an urgent need/want for a new system. I think it would be fun.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
tigerdirect.com
newegg.com are the places that i buy parts from, and so far i have had no problems

the only think i hate is wiring the case, normaly i go over or invite a friend over and let him do that . I supply the pizza and beer.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links, Bruce.

I also have a spare hard drive lying around somewhere. I can remember the exact size but it's pretty big so I'll save a few dollars there.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately keep the computer you're using. If it's not broken, don't throw it out!
I've learned the value of a back up computer (or two).

It's not difficult putting it together yourself. You can either get the main components separate or get a bare bones kit - cpu(s), motherboard, and ram together. The hardest part may be some jumper and/or bios settings, but you'll have the manual.
Decent shops I've used in the past (that I can remember), 3bTech and memory labs. You can also read shop reviews on pricewatch.

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, I still have the backup computer to this one even though it's extremely outdated (1998 or 1999).

Originally Posted by strange_wings

The hardest part may be some jumper and/or bios settings, but you'll have the manual.
Decent shops I've used in the past (that I can remember), 3bTech and memory labs. You can also read shop reviews on pricewatch.
That's what I was thinking, other than those two things you mentioned every else is pretty easy. Thanks for the shop tips! I'm looking forward to doing this.