My LitterMaid So Far...

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sooo...I have had this thing for about a month now.

It works well at keeping the box clean enough for Ike to use daily.
But the wet stuff gets all mixed in with the litter, instead of clumping
. And some really small pieces escape the comb....but for the price I paid I am getting exactly what I wanted

I was wondering...will another/better litter help with the wet clumping any?

What do you guys use?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jarvis

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oops, thanks for the move

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've heard that some people used the crystals for that and it helped. I also heard that the older model works better than the newer version they have out now.
But I don't own one, mainly for the reason that those darn things are expensive and had quite a few bad reviews.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jarvis

I was wondering...will another/better litter help with the wet clumping any?

What do you guys use?
litter DEFINITELY makes a difference! i just tried a new one, Scoop Away, & i really like it, clump-wise. clumps better than tidy cats, arm & hammer, or precious cat, IMO.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

litter DEFINITELY makes a difference! i just tried a new one, Scoop Away, & i really like it, clump-wise. clumps better than tidy cats, arm & hammer, or precious cat, IMO.
Thats encouraging. I will make sure to pick up some once I use up all my Precious Cat Ultra (although this has been the best out of everything I tried so far).

Out of everything you tried Scoop Away seems the best?
Just want to make sure before I spend the $ as I you cant return used litter.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

Thats encouraging. I will make sure to pick up some once I use up all my Precious Cat Ultra (although this has been the best out of everything I tried so far).

Out of everything you tried Scoop Away seems the best?
Just want to make sure before I spend the $ as I you cant return used litter.
so far, anyway. i tried the precious cat, & didn't think it was as good. i tried the scoop away because it was less expensive than tidy cats. i also think it works better, so that's sorta a plus!

lotso'cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have one old unit and a new one and the old one is WAY better. In fact when I had one of the older units break I replaced it with a Booda Dome. I figure if it's not gonna clean real well I might as well do it manually. As for the litter question the best one I've found is Cat's Pride. It's cheap (I pay around 5.99 for one) and works pretty well. I've used the more expensive stuff and it didn't seem to work as well. I did put an A/C unit in the room where the litter boxes are in and it helps dry the air out so you might look into getting a dehumidifier or an A/C for the room if the problems real bad. I'm in South TX so we battle humidity almost all the time.

Originally Posted by StacyD1987

I've heard that some people used the crystals for that and it helped. I also heard that the older model works better than the newer version they have out now.
But I don't own one, mainly for the reason that those darn things are expensive and had quite a few bad reviews.

erinca7821

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wasn't a fan of my Littermaid and I got rid of it for the Booda Dome.. my cat is a digger and likes a deep area to do his business so he'd make mountains in the machine and it never swept properly because he made those mounds... just watch the litter level constantly to save yourself the tons of time scrubbing what the cat gets stuck on the bottom... mine had a habit of digging all the way down and peeing on the floor of it. You seem to have more luck than I did with it, which is great! I think a big part of my dissatisfaction with it was simply that it didn't suit my cat's preferences.

More importantly, I used Scoop Away in the Littermaid and it clumps great and worked really well with the sweeper when he didn't get down to the floor of the thing and jam it up... I still use it now as it is so easy to scoop...

leesestyle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have the new model although i read constantly that the older one was better. since i have no basis of comparison though, mine works pretty well. murphy loves it. we use fresh step and although i have a feeling there are probably harder clumping products out there, the odor control is unsurpassed. you'll probably figure out if you haven't already the best amount of litter for your cat. it's a fine line between too much litter (making it very hard for the rake to get through if you even go a smidge over that top line) and too little, causing messy stuff at the bottom of the box. once you figure that out, it's smooth sailing.

my biggest complaint is how loud it is... but for all the plusses, we'll live with it.