The Right Time

pumpkinsmommie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lost Pumpkin last Monday. I feel like I can never love another kitty like I did this one.

Will I ever be able to open my home to another fur baby? I would really love to have another kitty, but I get so emotional and feel like I'm betraying Pumpkin by doing that.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You probably won't love another kitty the same way--Pumpkin holds a special place in your heart and always will. That doesn't mean you won't have enough love to give to another kitty though. When Spot passed, Willow and I moved. Two months and one day after he passed I brought Odo into our lives. Odo is nothing like Spot, so while I enjoy his company, it feels different from the time I spent with Spot. Willow passed on September 24th. Odo and I are lonely and missing the company of another cat. I'm now looking for a new companion who will fill a new role in our lives. The new kitty will have his or her own personality, preferances and behaviors. He or she probably won't snuggle with me the way Willow did or climb on my back or rub their chin on my shoulders. But the new kitty will have his or her own quirks and I'll love the new kitty for who it is. I still miss Willow terribly and had a good cry over it a couple of nights ago. But I feel like I can honor her memory while still bringing a new cat into my life.

I would give yourself time to grieve but when you feel ready, visit a local shelter or rescue and see if there is a cat you seem to connect with. That new bond can be a way to honor and cherish the one you had with Pumpkin as well as bringing you some new joy.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As CloudShade says, you will never love another cat in the same way, but opening your heart to a new furbabe isn't a betrayal of Pumpkin, I prefer to look at it as the opposite, that I have all this love, and it would be a shame to waste it when there are so many needy furbabes. I think this poem sums it up better than me though.

Last Will and Testament of a Cat

I too, would make a will
if I could write
To some poor wistful, lonely
stray I leave my happy home.
My dish, my cosy bed
my cushioned chair, my toy.
The well loved lap
The gently stroking hand
The loving voice
The place I made in someone's heart
The love, that at the last
Could help me to a peaceful,
painless end
Held in loving arms
If I should die
Oh, do not say
"No more a pet I'll have
To grieve me by its loss"
Seek out a lonely, unloved cat
And give my place to him.
This is my legacy
the love I leave behind
Tis all I have to give

Margaret Trowton

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss.

You will be able to love again, and it's good advice about going to a shelter, because i bet there's a little someone there who's just waiting to pull at your heart strings

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

As CloudShade says, you will never love another cat in the same way, but opening your heart to a new furbabe isn't a betrayal of Pumpkin, I prefer to look at it as the opposite, that I have all this love, and it would be a shame to waste it when there are so many needy furbabes. I think this poem sums it up better than me though.

Last Will and Testament of a Cat

I too, would make a will
if I could write
To some poor wistful, lonely
stray I leave my happy home.
My dish, my cosy bed
my cushioned chair, my toy.
The well loved lap
The gently stroking hand
The loving voice
The place I made in someone's heart
The love, that at the last
Could help me to a peaceful,
painless end
Held in loving arms
If I should die
Oh, do not say
"No more a pet I'll have
To grieve me by its loss"
Seek out a lonely, unloved cat
And give my place to him.
This is my legacy
the love I leave behind
Tis all I have to give

Margaret Trowton
Truer words were never written!!
Pumpkin is over Rainbow Bridge chasing butterflies and getting lots of cuddles and snuggles from all those dear souls who have passed on before us. He would not want your arms to be empty, lonely, nor you to be without the comfort of a warm kitty-face snuggled against your neck, purring loudly. And God knows, there are plenty of volunteer kitties who could do the job - maybe even a pair.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. I think just about everyone who has lost a pet has said, "I will never have another one." Then time passes and your heart heals just enough to make room for a new one. No cat can ever replace the one you've lost, that is true, but there are plenty that need your love. For me volunteering at a shelter helped because I knew Smokey was dying and there was nothing more I could do for her, but there was a lot I could do for all of the homeless kitties. I lost one wonderful cat and now have 4 very differnt, but just as wonderful kitties. I always say Smokey left such a big hole it took 4 kitties to make me complete again. I know that Pumpkin would not want you to be lonely. That being said, give yourself the time to grieve as you must before you move on.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.
It might take some time before you can get another....everyone is different. But I don't think you would be betraying your baby at all when you do. Pumpkin would want you to be happy.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. I lost Jake a bit over 3 weeks ago and 1 week ago got another kitty. I felt like I was betraying him at first. But no longer. I think he would want me to bring another kitty in our home to love and care for. The new guy (Maxx) isn't to replace Jake. But to give another cat a home that needs a good one. And as a companion to my other cat, who was driving me crazy with her crying and meowing! I miss Jake terribly and I'll never have another cat like him. He will always be in my heart, just as your pumpkin will be. When the time is right for you to get another cat, you'll know.

RIP pumpkin.