I can't believe I've been so stupid!!!

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the
OMG I can't believe it.

I've spent the last month working on my grad school funding application, researching my topic, writing the cover letter, etc. and I just realized... I don't have an official transcript from my last degree!
The application is due on Wednesday and I don't think they offer "rush" requests for transcripts!

I might have just ruined my chance of getting my funding over a stupid document!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where is the school? Can you go there in person? Sometimes if you can connect with someone personally, they'll ignore policy and help you out...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Where is the school? Can you go there in person? Sometimes if you can connect with someone personally, they'll ignore policy and help you out...
Yes, I'll go there tomorrow during lunch.
The website says it takes "up to 5 days" to process a request... so there's still a chance they can do it in two days.

I really can't believe I'm so at the last minute. I've had since this summer to work on that.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everywhere is different, but we allow transcripts to be sent separately (many places prefer this anyway as less chance of forged docs) and will allow them to come in past the deadline as long as we get the actual application on time. So there is hope!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to the school personally, they will be able to print off a copy of your transcipts right there. I did that with one of my past schools

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lunasmom

If you're going to the school personally, they will be able to print off a copy of your transcipts right there. I did that with one of my past schools
I hope so. But it has to be an "official" transcript, so I don't know if that's that easy. Plus it's a fairly big university so they might be more bureaucratic about the whole thing.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by marie-p

OMG I can't believe it.

I've spent the last month working on my grad school funding application, researching my topic, writing the cover letter, etc. and I just realized... I don't have an official transcript from my last degree!
The application is due on Wednesday and I don't think they offer "rush" requests for transcripts!

I might have just ruined my chance of getting my funding over a stupid document!!

Do you have to have it notarized before submitting it? I had to have mine notarized. You might want to find out about that tomorrow and maybe book an appointment with a lawyer or notary public if necessary.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to get one for my son on short notice. He wrote permission for them to give it to me. The lady was very kind to process the request while I waited - and my son hadn't even filled out the correct form.
They sealed the envelope with a special seal so the recepient would know if I had tampered with it.
Be polite, admit you messed up and you are sorry to ask them to bail you out. Just say your embarassed to ask them for special help.... that will usually do it. People will usually go out fo their way to help someone who recognizes their extra effort and appreciates it.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Do you have to have it notarized before submitting it? I had to have mine notarized. You might want to find out about that tomorrow and maybe book an appointment with a lawyer or notary public if necessary.
No, luckily it only has to be an official transcript in a sealed envelope.

Originally Posted by Mom of 4

I had to get one for my son on short notice. He wrote permission for them to give it to me. The lady was very kind to process the request while I waited - and my son hadn't even filled out the correct form.
They sealed the envelope with a special seal so the recepient would know if I had tampered with it.
Be polite, admit you messed up and you are sorry to ask them to bail you out. Just say your embarassed to ask them for special help.... that will usually do it. People will usually go out fo their way to help someone who recognizes their extra effort and appreciates it.
Thanks for the advice. I'll try that.

Keep your fingers crossed for me

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. I needed a transcript and all I had to do was walk up to a window, pay a 7 year old parking ticket, and get them.

To you so it's that easy.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I hope so. But it has to be an "official" transcript, so I don't know if that's that easy. Plus it's a fairly big university so they might be more bureaucratic about the whole thing.
If you go to student accounting or the grad department they have the "official transcript" paper there to print the information out on.

If its a larger university I would call to find out where you need to go to get it. I.e. for my bachelor's I have to go to the grad department to get my information.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

I went to the student services office today and...

the bad news: they have no control over when the transcripts are printed and they can only guarantee it for Thursday.

the good news: they said it COULD be ready on Wednesday afternoon but they can't guarantee it.

My thought is, they are planning on having transcripts printed on Wednesday but don't want to promise it for then in case there's a problem.

So can I please have some super-mega "get the transcript in time" vibes?

if by chance I don't get it on Wednesday, I'll send my application without it and then send my transcript on Thursday by express mail. I don't know if they'll accept that, but that's the best I can do.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that's really silly that they can't print them there for you.

Well, major transcript vibes going your way

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

if by chance I don't get it on Wednesday, I'll send my application without it and then send my transcript on Thursday by express mail. I don't know if they'll accept that, but that's the best I can do.
Just indicate the the transcript is coming separately.

Sending you lots of good luck wishes.

marie-p

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
TCS vibes work again!

I got my transcript in time!!!

After the whole transcript near-fiasco, I also had problems because the government form said something like:
"mail to the following address: Government Agency X, 123 Fake Street, Office 321. "
And that was it. No city, no province, no postal code.

So I had to find a computer with an internet connection in order to find the address.
Then I got a paper cut filling the envelope.

So overall it's been a painful process... but if it works, it could mean a lot of money

So thanks again for the vibes!!