Cheap Wet Foods

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I currently feed Nutro Max Cat Roasted Chicken Dry for UTI prevention purposes. I will continue to feed this food.
I also feed a lot of premium wet foods (EaglePack, Wellness, EVO etc.)
The only store that carries these foods recently decided to hike up all the prices, which is why I had to stop feeding California Natural dry and now all the wet foods.
My guys also stopped being very excited about these brands, they eat them, but are not very enthused.

I would love to shop at Petsmart or Walmart or Target.
I recall seeing Special Kitty, 9 Lives, Friskies, Fancy Feast, Sophisticat, Whiskas.

I know these are not the best, but in the realm of keeping wet food still as a part of daily rutine, I am wondering which ones are lesser of evils. I am also open to suggestions on other brands, keeping my budget in mind.

I would like to pay 30-50c per can.

TIA!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's the meow mix pouches and cups that are reasonably priced and easy to find.

Are you looking to spend 30-50 cents per 5.5oz can? That leaves you with only the very low end special kitty, friskies and 9 lives.
The fancy feast is already out of that range, 70-90cents for 3 oz. At that price you'd save money feeding what you do already in 5.5 oz cans.

You could try getting a petsmart card for some discounts and saving any sort of coupons you get. Keep an eye out for sales and also see if you could cut a little cost in litter (look through the care & grooming section for suggestions).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Meow mix and Authority are good without being too pricey... Max on sale is not bad .. Some FF are not too bad...

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might look at Authority--I think it's about 57 cents (according to the PetSmart website) for a 6 ounce can.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Target typically sells the multipak so the Meow Mix 9 pack turns out to be something like 50 cents a can. Then again, you may want to avoid Meow Mix. If you're trying to prevent UTIs, Meow Mix has a high fish content. Fish is usually associated with UTIs.

A lot of the others you mentioned just have artificial flavors in them. I look at it as the equivilent of eating Tace Bell each and every day.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shop around. Fancy Feast is still 47 cents a three-ounce can at two stores in my area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went to Petsmart and Walmart tonight, and yes in my price range, it seems I have 3 choices, Friskies, 9Lives and Special Kitty (I think this is walmart brand).
So really I'm just looking at 9lives and Friskies. I do not feel comfy feeding walmart brand stuff.

Both have many many flavors.

I am feeding the dry to prevent UTIs, just in case, girls haven't had a UTI yet.
But I figure even bad wet food is better than none.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

I went to Petsmart and Walmart tonight, and yes in my price range, it seems I have 3 choices, Friskies, 9Lives and Special Kitty (I think this is walmart brand).
So really I'm just looking at 9lives and Friskies. I do not feel comfy feeding walmart brand stuff.

Both have many many flavors.

I am feeding the dry to prevent UTIs, just in case, girls haven't had a UTI yet.
But I figure even bad wet food is better than none.
yes but in your price range are better options... read the labels...

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you, I will check out Authority. I will go and read the labels as well.
Since I like to rotate several brands, 9lives and friskies are still in the running.
I noticed friskies didn't have dyes and animal digest that 9lives has.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

Thank you, I will check out Authority. I will go and read the labels as well.
Since I like to rotate several brands, 9lives and friskies are still in the running.
I noticed friskies didn't have dyes and animal digest that 9lives has.
that is great ....

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies is the only low end food I will feed. The other ones have too much really yucky stuff in them. Purina also stopped using Chinese wheat gluten and other chinese stuff in their foods. there was an article about that a while ago on Itchmo.com So that is probably why Purina products have gone up in price. In my mind, that is ok. (Purina cat treats are at least 2x the price of other "grocery" treats I've noticed recently)

We use a mix of Fancy Feast, Friskies, Pro Plan, Meow Mix, Natural Balance and occasionally Nutro for canned foods. I watch sales, etc pretty closely to get the best prices.
Hope that helps.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

Friskies is the only low end food I will feed. The other ones have too much really yucky stuff in them. Purina also stopped using Chinese wheat gluten and other chinese stuff in their foods. there was an article about that a while ago on Itchmo.com So that is probably why Purina products have gone up in price. In my mind, that is ok. (Purina cat treats are at least 2x the price of other "grocery" treats I've noticed recently)

We use a mix of Fancy Feast, Friskies, Pro Plan, Meow Mix, Natural Balance and occasionally Nutro for canned foods. I watch sales, etc pretty closely to get the best prices.
Hope that helps.
Purina forgot to say the HAVE a Plant IN CHINA that is making food??

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Purina forgot to say the HAVE a Plant IN CHINA that is making food??
Will Purina's new plant that recently opened in China be making Fancy FeastÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] canned or dry or supply any ingredients for any Fancy Feast products? Will these products be sold in the USA?

* NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] S.A. has recently opened a pet food factory in China, which produces dry pet food products for Purina's consumers in Asia. NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] PetFood PetCare in China is separate from NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] Purina PetCare in North America. Pet food products manufactured by the factory in China will not be imported into the United States.

http://www.purina.com/Company/Recall/RecallFaqs.aspx

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Will Purina's new plant that recently opened in China be making Fancy FeastÂ[emoji]174[/emoji] canned or dry or supply any ingredients for any Fancy Feast products? Will these products be sold in the USA?

* NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] S.A. has recently opened a pet food factory in China, which produces dry pet food products for Purina's consumers in Asia. NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] PetFood PetCare in China is separate from NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] Purina PetCare in North America. Pet food products manufactured by the factory in China will not be imported into the United States.

http://www.purina.com/Company/Recall/RecallFaqs.aspx
YEAH ,... now maybe theyll state on the labels WHERE IT is MADE.. currently they say PRINTED in USA

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

YEAH ,... now maybe theyll state on the labels WHERE IT is MADE.. currently they say PRINTED in USA
PRINTED in USA??? So......the label is printed in the U.S. but the food is made in China?

Sorry, I just had to pull your leg a tiny little bit

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise

They have a pet food plant in Bük, Hungary, so some of it might be coming from there.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Hope that helps.
Thank you so much litteraven, I will definitely keep my eyes open on sales!
From all the responses I will avoild 9lives.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems kind of silly to speculate that they are shipping food from overseas and putting "printed in usa" labels on them. They have plenty of plants for canned and dry in the USA too. I remember reading either on a blog or forum after the recalls that people were tracking where their FF and Friskies came from. One plant was in Wisconsin and another mentioned was somewhere south. It's been 6 months or so, so I can't remember off-hand.

here's the article about the gluten.
http://www.itchmo.com/chinese-wheat-...d-recalls-3013

If you (general you, not anyone specific) are worried about their food, don't buy it I guess. Purina makes foods my cats eat consistently & were not part of the recalls, so I buy their products. I buy others too, but I am very fussy about what I buy now. We had some close calls with Science Diet and Nutro cans when the recalls hit. I'm just thankful that my cats ARE picky and didn't eat the poison.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Like you, I have a limited selection of food (and petstores) available locally. And also like you, I am on a tight budget...

I feed my guys mostly authority canned because it does not contain by-products, comes in a variety of flavors (for the regular adult and two kitten flavors) and is relatively cheap (~60c. per 5.5oz, and ~45c per 3oz can). I will also buy them the nutro cans if they are on sale or if I have a coupon. You can sign up for nutro's "frequent buyer program" (you can't use the program at petsmart or petco btw) and they will send you a booklet of coupons with a good amount off of cans and the baged food...i.e. $1 off 6 cans, $1 off 12 cans, $3 off food, $2 off food, etc. (two or three of each of those coupons) Our nutro rep frequents our petsmart about once a month and will also leave coupons on bags of food. FYI, the nutro and authority are traditional "loaf" style cans, which my cats love, but yours might not if they like the meat in gravy style food.

I will also feed the meow mix market selects cups, which the cats like, but I've stopped feeding them because I think that my guys might be allergic to fish (and all of the meow mix cups have fish in them).

I have not fed the nutro pouches since the recall, although I fed some before the recall and the cats weren't crazy about them then.

Art