do people give more attention to some cats more then others?

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
LIke in household do other people or friends kinda ignore some cats and give attention to like prettier cats or cuter looking cats? I hate when it happens but i find its always the case with friends and family

the prettyier cuter get gets all this attention the other 1 gets ignored i really hate it, i am nuteral but i guess you cant control other family members & friends

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well to be honest my mum has two cats and one, the female, is really bad tempered but beautiful looking and the male is less attractive but really friendly. Because the female tends to attack people if they try to give her attention, the male gets way more attention and affection. It's a vicious circle as this annoys the female more!

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tiger gets more petting/grooming attention from me because he's always following his meowmy! But I do play with Angel more than him because she's so active and Tiger doesn't like to jump for much. Angel can do a back flip! They both have their quirks and perks so it's pretty even between them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chausiefan

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ok if one cat is agressive i totally understand it

we use to have this cat that was bad tempered i always told firends to NEVER TOUCH HIM for their safety thats a whole diff story tho if we keep an agressive pet its our responsibility to protect others from it

im talking if both are extremly friendly yet one is cuter more attractive and cleaner while the other is a bit more dirty might have more health problems and just not in the "spotlight" It drives me crazy because i know that if i go on vacation or go somewhere no one else will pay attentino to a certain cat

we have one cat that sheds more has smelly stools (sometimes) tends to "lick" a lot and he just gets label as gross and dirty hes also not as "smart" as the other cats which is i think another factor

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by chausiefan

ok if one cat is agressive i totally understand it

we use to have this cat that was bad tempered i always told firends to NEVER TOUCH HIM for their safety thats a whole diff story tho if we keep an agressive pet its our responsibility to protect others from it

im talking if both are extremly friendly yet one is cuter more attractive and cleaner while the other is a bit more dirty might have more health problems and just not in the "spotlight" It drives me crazy because i know that if i go on vacation or go somewhere no one else will pay attentino to a certain cat

we have one cat that sheds more has smelly stools (sometimes) tends to "lick" a lot and he just gets label as gross and dirty hes also not as "smart" as the other cats which is i think another factor
I would be more attracted to the less cute cat as I would feel he needs more love and cuddles! The beautiful cat will get more attention from obvious people but any real cat lover would give the 'smelly' cat as much if not more attention.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Never seen an ugly cat myself.

In my house (MIL's house too), we have some extremely well socialized cats.
Trust me, if they want attention, they will get it, it's unavoidable

taurus77

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OMG!!!!

I was just talking to my mom about this last night!!!!!! That does happen in my house--Spot gets no attention from company and Poops gets it all!!

It makes me feel so bad for the left-out cat.

squatting puma

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love my cats equally, and most guests do too. However, Spice is the dominant Alpha, and she thinks she's too good to be wooed in by people and take heed to their callings. Sugar just loves the attention though and for the most part will walk up to any body for a good petting. They are both still young though, so they don't sit in laps very long without wanting to get up and play with each other.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Damita is the one who saps all the attention here. She's a "teddy cat" & an attention hog, though....wherever you go, she bumps along & crashed into you(literally)!

Ophelia gets the least amount of attention, although she tends to attack people so I don't blame them for steering clear of her!

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ophelia gets the least amount of attention, although she tends to attack people so I don't blame them for steering clear of her!
geez, I can't believe people are selfish enough to want to save life and limb over petting Ophelia

While all my cats are beautiful
there are some that DEMAND your attention and the other are just fine hanging in the background, I don't think they get their feelings hurt at all

jugen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My family is that way. My family will give Rocket all the attention since he is an attenion hog and they just think he is the prettiest.

Twig tends to nip at you if you pet him so we don't encourage people to pet him much. But we pet him when people are doting on Rocket so he doesn't feel left out.

Isis, Luna and Neffie won't come out if there's people around so petting them is out of the question for my friends and family.

So I guess the answer is yes, Rocket gets all the attention in our house from friends and family. And we dote on Twig while they are here so he doesn't get all freaked out and upset.

If noone but Dh and I are here though, we love all the cats equally. although Rocket tries his best to hog all our attention then too, but it doesn't work.
We give scritches and lovens to all equally.

aussie_dog

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh, it's totally true here! Buffy tends to be ignored more, because she's basically all black (just one patch of white on her throat), a shorthair, and a female. Nothing interesting, apparantly. It's ironic (and sad), really, because Buffy's the one who LOVES attention (human, cat, dog, it doesn't matter), so if she gets ignored, you can count on her to come screaming and wailing away, knocking things off shelves, hopping on counters, bugging Jake (my dog), and everybody has no choice but to notice her, lol

Molly and Willow get more attention because they're more prettily colored. Molly's a large, stocky black and white, and even though she's closed to other people and runs away from anyone who approaches, everyone always coos about what a sweet, lovely, pretty girl she is. And Willow is technically what people might call "dangerous" to strangers, but while people keep their fingers to themselves, they compliment Willow a lot too. It's poor Buffy who gets ignored, but at least she does her part to MAKE SURE people notice her. Jake, my dog, backs her up too, as she can't get the attention by her own self. She needs a big dog behind her, giving her an excuse to turn her head and SCREAM indignition at being followed so closely. And if that doesn't work to make heads turn, Jake will squeal and race around to the nearest table and thump his whole body to the ground, head mashing into the floor so he can see her from under the table. Even then people don't really compliment Buffy, they comment on the humour of the situation (dog bugging cat, cat being noisy, dog making a racket from his never-say-die adoration for the kitty)

My grandma sums it up from her visit a couple of years ago: She's afraid of Willow, as she doesn't know when she's going to get scratched or stalked (if Willow is in the middle of the doorway to the kitchen, Beppe will get a newspaper or something long and try to push Willow out of the way, never daring to let her hands get close). But while Willow is scary, Beppe is afraid of Buffy too, because Buffy is "sneaky" and you never know what she's thinking. That makes me sad, but maybe it's just because I know Buffy as well as any mom can know her child, and I know she's just so misunderstood by everyone. She's not sneaky at all! It seems like you never really know her because you don't take the effort to actually get to know her. She's got an amazing personality and all she wants is for someone to lie down on the floor and get to know her better. Or maybe that personality is the cause; she likes to do weird stuff, such as tilt her head while staring at you. You don't understand why she does that, so you feel she's hard to know. Still sad, though. You'd think that you'd know the cat who's always hanging around better than the two other girls who are more reserved and don't hang out much. In fact, when Beppe visited over the past month, she kept calling Molly, Polly. Yet "Polly" get more affection from her than Buffy. I swear, this could make me cry at night if I thought about it more often. *sigh*

For our immediately family, though (the above all pertains to visitors), Buffy still doesn't get any slack. Buffy's the "dumbo" (she's actually pretty intelligent, just clumbsy from time to time, and sometimes she acts before she thinks), the "ugly" (what are you talking about? She's gorgeous!), the "nuisance" (okay, I can understand that... She's got a high energy level). Dad's the one who mostly feels this way, though. Mom and my sister both know that Buffy is also the "survivor" (the only survivor of her litter, who all died, including the mother, when the litter was only 3-4 weeks old), the "smarty-pants" (she's a backtalker and seems to understand what you're saying sometimes). They do know she's pretty special, and they all agree (well, maybe not dad, but he's always had a thing for black shorthairs) that she gives life a huge spark and while sometimes we all feel like ripping our hair out, we know that we'd all be devastated if Buffy were removed from our lives. I just wish EVERYONE understood Buffy exactly as I do.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My 3 don't allow one to be the favourite, they clamber into the laps of guest and get in their face for attention

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in my house, its Sace, and Uno that kinda dont care, and the kittens are the ones that BEG to be pet, and touched. Uno could care less, and does,lol. Sace will seek out a pet at night, when im watching tv in bed, but usually not during the day.

Its funny, cause Sace and Uno are the "pretty" cats, and the kittens are the "usual" ones,lol

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I defy anyone to ignore either of my two - they're all over visitors! Unfortunately Sonic is usually the favourite with guests, simply because Radar gets very overexcited and usually has to be shut out of the room before he tries to wrestle them to the floor to play. My mum is terrified of him, but he doesn't mean any harm

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Whitey and Beauty will get most of the attention when company is around...but that's because Luna and Patches are hiding under the bed. They usually don't come out unless they either know the person (regular visitor) or the "coast is clear).

However, try coming from a family that are dog lovers and aren't too fond of cats. My mom is feeding 4 strays in her neighborhood, but has no intention of adopting them....she wants a dog.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give my cats equal attention, even tho one of them will get extremely jealous when I do.

My DK's complain that I give them more attention than I do the dog.

If anyone comes over, my cats are not to be seen, so I really cannot answer your question.

I do think it is sad that some cats do get more attention than others.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll give attention to any cat that asks, so more often then naught Tomas gets more attention. It's hard not to when he's hopped in my lap and is wiggling all over me.

If I'm at someone else's house I'll try to include the one that is left out.
A few years ago, DH and I would go over to visit some friends that had a older grey cat. No one else (aside from the owner) really liked that cat, usually claiming it was because the cat was mean. Poor thing was actually a very sweet cat, but because she was declawed she was bitey and she also had arthritis in her back and hips. Touch those spots and she'd growl and nip you. So I would scratch the back of her head, she loved that and would always plop on my lap when we were there.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have had this happen on a few occasions. Bentley is very average looking (though I think he is stunning!) but he is very friendly. Everyone always wants to pet Ceasar & Zoey & Jenny too (jenny not always a good thing) but ceasar & zoey aren't around many people so get nervous sometimes but I see how eyes light up when they see them but not Bentley (I'd say or Nuit but i make sure no one touches her for safety reasons
)