Because it's October...

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because it's October my husband and I have decided to do a month long project of watching as many horror movies as possible. I'd like to walk you though this little event and tell you about the movies we've seen.

We've set up some rules.
1. We want to see the movies that have inspired the modern horror film. So the first part of the month has been mostly dedicated to silent and classic films from other countries.

2. We need a light break every now and then. Trust me, you'll see the light breaks in here every once and again.

So, here's the list of the first few movies we've seen.

1. Faust: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Faust/60032424?trkid=64596
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0016847/
- This was a fantastic film. A man decides to make a deal with the devil to get his youth back, and horror instills. It's really a morality tail dressed up in a silent film. The score and pacing are wonderful, and if you do pick it up you won't be disappointed.

2. Nosferatu: Original Version: http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Nosfera...52?trkid=64596
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0013442/
- Of the silent films we've watched this was our LEAST favorite. It's still creepy, but there are several things one must understand. This movie was meant to be destroyed back in the 1930s. In a way you are watching the ultimate bootleg, and because of that the film suffers. The original score was lost and the reproduced score doesn't fit the film. It's still creepy, but kind of disappointing.

3. Dracula (1931): http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Dracula...28?trkid=64596
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0021814/
- This is the movie that started it all in the USA. It had everything. A creepy castle, rats, spiders, and armadillos. (Don't ask about the armadillos, I've never been able to figure out why they are in this movie. They seem a bit lost) It's built well, and has a nice creepy factor to it. Not the best horror movie ever made, but it is the grand daddy of them all.

4. The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari:
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Cab...80?trkid=64596
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0010323/
- The best silent film we've seen so far. It's so good that I want to run out and buy it and give it away as gifts. Ever wonder why Tim Burton's movies are so good? Oh, it's because this is his direct inspiration! See it. See it soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
5. Black Sheep (2006)
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Black_S...60?trkid=64596
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/
- If you liked Dead Alive by Peter Jackson you'll like this movie. (Please note that I said LIKE not LOVE) It's a gore fest involving genetically altered sheep that attack people. It has it's funny moments, and it ends with an explosion caused by a fart. Over all, it's not a horrible way to spend a Tuesday night.

6. The Seventh Seal
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Sev...29?trkid=64596
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050976/
- Okay so this isn't a horror movie, but Death is the main focus. Set in Medieval times in a plague infested country side a knight plays chess with Death. It's a movie that will make you think, but it's not for the light hearted movie goer. See it if you love film, avoid it if you are looking for a light movie to pass your time.

Coming soon: Suspiria, The Wolf Man / Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man: The Legacy Collection, Werewolf of London, Grindhouse, and Re-Animator.

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
seen 3 out of the 4 on your list... wow horror films when they where really horror movies.
not just blood and guts like the ones now

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by theimp98

seen 3 out of the 4 on your list... wow horror films when they where really horror movies.
not just blood and guts like the ones now
I know... I'm sick of the way horror movies are going now. They are so disturbing and gross I don't even want to go anymore. It's not worth it.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a Sociology of Film class in college, and saw The Cabinet of Dr Caligari in that class. Amazing film. You should watch Psycho in black and white if you can, too. I had never seen it before that class, it was so scary- but not in the current slasher film way. Very good movie.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by littleraven7726

I took a Sociology of Film class in college, and saw The Cabinet of Dr Caligari in that class. Amazing film. You should watch Psycho in black and white if you can, too. I had never seen it before that class, it was so scary- but not in the current slasher film way. Very good movie.
I love Psycho! I have a big poster of it in my living room. Everyone should see that movie... it's that good.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw Hills have Eyes part two last weekend and it was a complete waste of time and money. There was absolutely no point to the movie but gore. I'm usually a big fan of horror/gorey movies but there had to be a point to it. I can't even remember the last movie I saw that acctually scared me. Besides gorey movies aren't really even scary, just gross. It's so dissapointing.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I saw Hills have Eyes part two last weekend and it was a complete waste of time and money. There was absolutely no point to the movie but gore. I'm usually a big fan of horror/gorey movies but there had to be a point to it. I can't even remember the last movie I saw that acctually scared me. Besides gorey movies aren't really even scary, just gross. It's so dissapointing.
The original The Hills Have Eyes is scary, but I have to say I'm not a huge fan of it. It goes along with: Last House on the Left and I Spit on your Grave. Those three films have very little redeeming qualities, and are the basis for the Neo-Horror movie trend that includes the movie Saw. To me, Saw and movies like it are everything thats wrong with the horror genera today.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I can't even watch horror movies..I get too scared
There are levels of horror movies that I think that you'd be okay with. Dracula isn't scary at all, but it's slightly creepy in different areas. Faust isn't scary at all, but it will really make you think.

Slasher movies like Suspiria are the ones that you'd want to avoid. The best part about the horror genera is that it really can be for everyone. You just have to poke your head around a few websites and see if the film falls into your, "Oh dear I'd never ever watch that!" category.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Spanish version of the 1931 Dracula is supposed to be slightly better than the one with Bela Lugosi. I haven't seen it but I have wanted to for years. It was shot of the same set, but at night.

Bride of Frankenstein is a must; it's actually better than Frankenstein.

I recommend The Mummy. It's really fascinating since, like the other early Universals, it was in the transitioning phase between silent movies and talkies, so it has this wonderful and amazing silent sequence in it. The didn't have to make it silent, but I really like the purpose for it.

Tricia

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

...To me, Saw and movies like it are everything thats wrong with the horror genera today.
Absolutely. And I worry that they are desensitizing us to suffering in the real world, as well.

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I cannot watch gory movies. The last one I watched was Wolf Creek and it actually upset me. It was awful and disturbing. I love suspenseful horrors; the Picture of Dorian Gray (which sounds very similar to Faust) is a great one. Again maybe not classified as a horror but it chilled me.

A modern film I thought was very good was The Others. Has anyone else watched that?

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about The Brain That Wouldn't Die or Attack of the Giant Leeches? I have the first season of the Twilight Zone on DVD. I'd definitely add those to an old-school horror movie marathon.

sadieandziggy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OOOHHH I love horror movies. Not much impresses me these days though.

I love Asian horror/Thriller. Battle Royale is one of my favourites, although I'm not sure that is to be classed as horror? Also I loved Oldboy - it's Korean.

I have to say I watched a French film called Them a few weeks ago and that wasn't too bad either. It could have been better though.

I think the USA and Britain go over the top with special effects now. It's got rediculous and too predictable

butterflyy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nosferatu is a great movie. Max Schreck was so perfect in that part!

The Hills Have Eyes 2 was a complete waste of time, as someone else stated. The remake of the first one really disturbed me, not in a scared way, but like a "they shouldn't have gone there" way.

I have been obsessed with vampire lore and history since I was a young teen, so I will watch just about any movie about vampires. If you have some good vampire films you have seen, list them here! I always want to see new ones!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Taurus77

I love the Halloween season! The movies on tv alone are great!!
I know! I love this time of year, homes are decorated all spooky (well some are really cutsy with their decorations) and there are haunted houses to go to. It is so much fun!

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Green Bunny

The Spanish version of the 1931 Dracula is supposed to be slightly better than the one with Bela Lugosi. I haven't seen it but I have wanted to for years. It was shot of the same set, but at night.

Bride of Frankenstein is a must; it's actually better than Frankenstein.

I recommend The Mummy. It's really fascinating since, like the other early Universals, it was in the transitioning phase between silent movies and talkies, so it has this wonderful and amazing silent sequence in it. The didn't have to make it silent, but I really like the purpose for it.

Tricia
I've seen Frakenstein and loved it. We watched it in class and talked about the parts that were edited out of the film. There's a really sad section where he throws a little girl into a pond thinking that she'll float. It really broke my heart.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We just watched 28 Weeks Later over the weekend. It wasn't as good as the first.

There was a movie out, I think earlier this year, about a family that moves into haunted house out in the country. That was great, but I can't remember the name of it.
Mostly suspenseful with a bit of violence. The end was such a great twist. It finally wasn't a predictable movie.

I really like the suspenseful ghost story type movies.