The Sickening Truth about Pet Foods

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait a minute--that link is advertising for their own pet food! It doesn't look like it, but check out the main web page, http://www.acreaturecomfort.com. They are selling their own foods by telling people how gross everyone else's foods are!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
NOTE that info is at BEST INACCURATE on MANY pt s.... also note they are pushing what they sell.... We live in a buyer beware society... RESEARCH your own... DO NOT just go on what someone else says is best

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is sick, isn't it? I hope more and more people wise up

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of us here have educated ourselves about pet foods.
The link you are giving is pretty worthless overall considering it is nothing more than a petfood advertisement in disguise, purely one company mudslinging against others.

The foods they have chosen to bash as a means of making their own product look better, are foods that most here would consider garbage anyway.

Do some searches on this forum on foods and educate yourself as many of us have.

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish I could just find canned mice somewhere. At least then I'd know they were eating what they're supposed to eat in the wild...

(But with my luck, they'd turn up their noses!)

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

I wish I could just find canned mice somewhere. At least then I'd know they were eating what they're supposed to eat in the wild...

(But with my luck, they'd turn up their noses!)
frozen are readily avail.... and from good places

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah it is pretty disgusting.

Pets are pretty low on the manufacturing food chain and for that matter they are pretty low priority when it comes to most other things. That is why it is important to support legislation to help improve their lot- from food to anti-cruelty, stopping tail docking and declawing- too much to name in this post.

Thanks for resurfacing some important info, even if it is not completely accurate. It does cover some important truths.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

craigbmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Arlyn , wth with little to no oversite on these pet food producers how can you say this ISNT true? my word wise up . if there is a way for these slimes to save money they will , and if they get euthanized pets on the cheep to put in pet foods you dont think they will .. they dam will. What we need to see is more testing and oversite and required detailed labeling showing what actually goes into these pet foods.

I just posted this after my cat almost died from Oxalate stones blocking his urinary track , which we are not out of the woods yet. But i fed them mostly Friskies can food most their lives which i'm sure many many people reading this forum feed their animals. and now i am learning what goes into to these commercial pet foods and i'm furious. for one that our dam government allows this in the first place and second that we are not told these truths.

I will never buy any of the larger brand cat foods again knowing what i know now. i am so disgusted by it all

and as far as this link to the article is concerned i dont think they are selling their own produced pet food , they are selling multiple brands of food that contain better ingredients for my pet. you can buy the same food from
another supplier. whats more important is to get this info about this crap going on out to the main stream public.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I never once said it wasn't true, I said the site is worthless overall, as they are trying to get you to buy their food.

It doesn't matter whose food they are selling, it does, in fact make the site a biased one.

I also stated that all of the brands they are bashing are brands that most here would never feed in the first place, as we have educated ourselves on it.

None of this is new info really.
It does reinforce what sharky and myself are always trying to get people to do, read labels and learn to understand them.

craigbmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
another link with info on this issue .. like i said i could care less if the site providing the info sells pet food, theirs or anybody elses , what we need to do is to find out if what whether what they say is true. to get the info out here is my point.

http://www.petcaretips.net/euthanized_pets.html

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I think some of our older members are aware of the issues as this comes up every few months. Here is a thread from August for example:

http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthr...light=pet+food

You will find that most of our members are either very educated about food choices and are feeding the best they can afford or they are newer members that are currently educating themselves.

craigbmm

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Arlyn

I never once said it wasn't true, I said the site is worthless overall, as they are trying to get you to buy their food.

It doesn't matter whose food they are selling, it does, in fact make the site a biased one.

I also stated that all of the brands they are bashing are brands that most here would never feed in the first place, as we have educated ourselves on it.

None of this is new info really.
It does reinforce what sharky and myself are always trying to get people to do, read labels and learn to understand them.
Arlyn i would bet you money that most people on this site do in fact feed their cats these major brand commercial pet foods with this crap in them. not the other way around as you stated .. owners feeding their pet a premium cat food without these corn meal and by product junk in them would be in the minority.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it is true.
BUT, these companies are required by law to truthfully label their foods (and some states have laws even stricter than the federal ones).
Now then, they can be vague and say "meat meal, or meat by-product" etc.
Legally speaking, they are in compliance with the fair labeling act.
But what meat is it? well, only God knows for sure, therefore, it is a food to avoid.

Same goes for by-products in general, unless they list specifically what by-products and from what animal source, it should be avoided, as you cannot know.

Any chemically preserved foods should be avoided at all costs, there simply is no need.

The claims as I said, are indeed quite true but only in low end feeds where $ is more important than the animals being fed.

This, more than anything else is the biggest reason pet owners need to educate themselves on proper pet nutrition (as most vets are not properly educated on it) and really, really, really need to learn how to read ingredients lists.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by CraigBMM

Arlyn i would bet you money that most people coming to this site do in fact feed their cats these major brand commercial pet foods with this crap in them. not the other way around as you stated .. owners feeding their pet a premium cat food without these corn meal and by product junk in them would be in the minority.
You are a very new member to be making such a broad statement. Please spend some time in this Health and Nutrition forum and read some of the threads asking for advice and some of the suggestions before you make statements about our membership as a whole.

catfur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Much of that article is terribly misleading. Many of the items they point out as gross and disgusting are important ingredients for the nutritional content of the food.

Brains, intestines, meat by product, etc... organ meats are an important source of nutrition to a pure carnivore like a cat, high in vitamins and minerals that are lower in cuts of muscle. As humans we can avoid these items (though in cultures worldwide lots of these items are delicacies) since we are omnivores and can get certain essential nutrients from plants.

Corn, wheat, grains that have been processed to remove starch and oil? The starch and oil in grains aren't essential to feline nutrition, and probably would decrease the nutritive value of the food as far as a cat is concerned. By using by-product pet food makers are using material that has a higher nutritive value for cats, compared to a whole grain (and reducing waste).

Of course it's true that sometimes nasty things get into pet foods, especially when you import ingredients from places like China with low quality standards.

saya

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree that some of the article is misleading...

I think that a good amount of the article is on point though and has done it's job in part by raising awareness of the food you feed your babies.
yea, they're trying to sell their own food, but "Wellness" is a pretty decent food...

It's a matter of education as you've all said and preference. The article gave extra points for vegetables and fruit. I am one of those mommies that does not agree that kitties need these things in their diets.

all in all I think articles like this should help you make your decision for yourself, not make your decision for you.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
you also might want to check out this thread: what food do you use & why? you'd get a really good idea of what the majority of us feed, & also of what quality the food is, since most people answered both questions.