Food left in bowl.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat Sohni is on Royal Canin Hairball Formula, but doesn't like it much. He'd rather eat my chihuahua's food. But he meows until I put his 1/4 cup of kibbles in his bowl. Then he'll eat, but leave little stubs of kibbles. Someone else said that their cat left dots in the bowl and that exactly describes what Sohni does. It's like he bites a kibble in half and then goes onto a new one.

If he has not touched his bowl of kibbles for a while and is yowling at me for food.. I'll pour his kibbles back into the bag and then pull out new ones.... and he'll eat them. The same darn kibbles!

catnip

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah that's cats for you! My cat will sometimes leave food behind then look for more. I ignore him; if he's hungry enough he'll eat what is there. I don't think it's a problem to be solved, it's just a quirk your cat has

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are strange sometimes. We feed RC Beauty & Fit and they never leave food in the bowls. Maybe try a different kind of RC.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine will clean up the (bowl) crumbs in the night if they are really hungry. Sometimes they aren't as hungry for dry, so they just don't eat it all. I bought a dust buster because no matter what arrangement I make, Stimpy likes to eat his dry food off the floor.
So there is usually a crumb field around the feeding area.

My cats didn't really like RC Indoor when we fed it. Plus it caused stomach upset.
Maybe your guy would like a different food better?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He's just being picky, as there are other types of food around he'd rather have. Chihuahua food or the regular cat food I feed the outside cat. When nothing else is down, he'll gobble up the RC. I got it on vet advice as he's long hair and prone to hairballs.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

If he has not touched his bowl of kibbles for a while and is yowling at me for food.. I'll pour his kibbles back into the bag and then pull out new ones.... and he'll eat them. The same darn kibbles!
Sometimes when Toby has kibbles left but begs for more I'll put the ones that are down in a different dish and then he'll dive in.

BTW: You probably don't want to put the old kibbles back in the bag. They have been in his mouth and so are contaminated. Bacteria can grow rather quickly on anything that has cat saliva on it.

teneff88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat can be a picky eater. He's a canned food eater so he gets different flavors once in a while. One day I put salmon flavor down for him to eat. I layed down for a nap and an hour later, he wakes me up meowing. He usually does that when he's hungry or after he had a hairball and wants me to clean it up. I had already fed him just the hour ago, so I went to check to see where he threw up. But instead of there being a hairball, he led me to a FULL dish of food. He didn't even take a bite even tho he was really hungry when I first put the food down. I kept putting it in front of his face and he kept smelling it and walking away. So then I put chicken flavor down and he ate that!!!! HE JUST WANTED A DIFFERENT FLAVOR!!! So a week later, when he was hungry (he woke me up at 6am on a Saturday to feed him), I put down some more Salmon flavor food. He took one smell of it and made a grunting sound as if saying "I don't want that" and walked a way!!! NOW I KNOW NOT TO FEED HIM SALMON ANYMORE! But yea, shows ya he's pretty picky! Yes, I do blame it on myself tho cuz I give in to his little temper tantrums he has LOL. He's so spoiled, but I can't resist! He's 9 years old and I've had him since he was a kitten (when I was 10 years old).