Quality Dry Food

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What is a quality kitten dry food??

One especially that is great nutrionally and good for firm stools.

Any in mind?!

Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where do you shop.???

what do you feed now ???

age and activity levals of cats??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Where do you shop.???

what do you feed now ???

age and activity levals of cats??
Shop at Petsmart.

Eukanuba kitten is what I am feeding at the moment.

All are kittens ages 3 months 5 months.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are firm on shopping at the petstores then I'd go with the Nutro kitten formula way before Eukanuba. If you have a mom and pop pet shop and are willing to spend a bit more, check and see if they carry Evo, Chicken Soup or Wellness.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Petsmart

better options are

Nutro
Royal canin
Blue spa
Avoderm( yes this has lot of corn but)
By nature

mainly depends what you want the food to do
... the top two will be better for stools as they arent as grainy

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I serve Royal Canin Baby Cat 34 even though Butzie is 2. Pet store said baby cat is good for all ages. Perfect stools and she likes it, which of course is very important!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I serve Royal Canin Baby Cat 34 even though Butzie is 2. Pet store said baby cat is good for all ages. Perfect stools and she likes it, which of course is very important!
Find the AFFCO statement on the bag if it says growth and matenance or all life stage it is TRUELY okay... if not talk with your vet

TALK to your vet ... like me you are feeding a NOT approved for adults food
http://www.royalcanin.us/catfood/babycat.html
100% Complete and Balanced Nutrition for Your Kitten

Feline Health Nutrition Babycat 34™ Formula for kittens from 1 to 4 months of age during weaning and intense growth is formulated to meet the nutritional levels established by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) Cat Food Nutrient Profiles for growth, gestation and lactation.

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the responses.

I would like effects of the food to be firm stools, nice coats... healthy of course and tasty.

Is Eukanuba not a good food?

mezlo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed my 8 month old Nutro Max Cat Kitten and Nutro Natural Choice Kitten. I tried Wellness' kitten chow but Junior didn't care for it. As for Eukanuba, from what I've read any food with "by-product meal" in the ingredients is not ideal.

Mez

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lioness

Thank you for the responses.

I would like effects of the food to be firm stools, nice coats... healthy of course and tasty.

Is Eukanuba not a good food?
Not a bad but LESS than desirable ingrediants for many of us after some research...

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Nutro Natural Choice kitten as well. I also use Innova. Lately my boy has decided he likes the Nutro better though. My female had loose stools on many other brands but does really well with the Nutro. They cannot eat the Indoor kitten formula though because of of the soy protein.

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have decided to switch them to the Nutro Complete Care Kitten Indoor formula.

I had a pretty good conversation with the PetsMart rep. She was very nice and helpful.

What is soy protein????

Is that not a good thing or is it just something that your particular kittens don't do well with?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

What is soy protein????

Is that not a good thing or is it just something that your particular kittens don't do well with?
protein derived from soybeans. it's a wonderful protein source for people, but not for cats. they need animal-based proteins, not vegetable-based ones.

lioness

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you laureen for clarifying that...

I guess my next question would be is Nutro Complete Care Kitten Indoor formula dry a good food to be feeding? It's got to be better than Eukanuba... another thing that seemed to happen with Eukanuba was their poo was pretty smelly..

I didn't realize that could be a result of the food but someone else told me they had the same thing going on and they were feeding Eukanuba kitten dry as well..

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you laureen for clarifying that...

I guess my next question would be is Nutro Complete Care Kitten Indoor formula dry a good food to be feeding? It's got to be better than Eukanuba... another thing that seemed to happen with Eukanuba was their poo was pretty smelly..
is it this one? Nutro Natural Choice Complete Care Indoor Kitten Dry Food [size=+0]then i would say it looks ok to me. here's an ingredient list, according to petfooddirect: Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Ground Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Poultry Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Plain Beet Pulp, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Natural Flavors, Sunflower Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Rice Flour, Oat Fiber, Menhaden Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Vegetable Fiber (Carrots, Celery, Beets, Parsley, Lettuce, Water Cress, Spinach), Tomato Pomace, Potassium Chloride, Soy Protein Concentrate, Cranberry Powder, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Taurine, Dried Egg Product, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, L-Carnitine, Inositol, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Extract, Dried Chicory Root, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Niacin, Copper Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Manganous Oxide, Riboflavin Supplement (source of Vitamin B2), Beta-Carotene, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Iodate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (source of Vitamin K activity), Folic Acid, Sodium Selenite.

[size=+0]not as good as some, but better than a lot of 'em![/size]
[/size]

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The reason I don't feed the indoor formula is because my female got red bumps on the skin in her ears that looked like hives and she also got hotspots on her feet and sucked on them until they started to get infected. As soon as I switched her to the non-indoor formula and got her vet treatment the hive like bumps and hotspots went away and she hasn't gotten them since. It seems likely she was allergic to the soy protein.