Connie's still vomiting

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Connie is an adopted Siamese girl who will be nine in November.

I had the vet do bloodwork in September, and everything was perfectly normal except for the globulin levels being on the high side of normal.

She has been vomiting her kibble since I brought her home (Labor Day), but we initially thought it might be due to the hacking, coughing, gagging, etc. of the URI. Thinking maybe she was eating too fast, I have been adding water to her kibble, since it slows her down and gets a little more water in her (she won't eat wet food right now). That seemed to stop the vomiting for a little while, but she's back at it.

I bought some probiotics, but only used them a few times, since they are human probiotics, and I kept reading different opinions on them. They're a powder in a capsule that I poured on her moistened kibble.

She is eating NV Raw Instinct in the chicken variety, but I'm going to pick up some California Natural today. I give up on the NV for now.

She's been seen by the vet a few times since we got her, and we have to go back for her rabies vaccination (the vet didn't want to vaccinate her while she was sick). The vet knows about the puking. We treated for hairballs. She wasn't puking at the shelter (at least, not enough for them to mention it to me), so I'm thinking a new food will help.

I am going to raise her food dish, switch to California Natural, keep adding the water, and see how that helps. She hasn't puked plain chicken breasts (cooked) or other "people food", so I'm thinking it's the food. I know Sharky has mentioned grain-free foods being a bit much for some older kitties?

Anything else I'm forgetting? The vet seems to think she's very healthy. She's not losing weight (she's in much better flesh since we got her home from the shelter and got her over the URI), her coat is soft and sleek (not rough or otherwise abnormal). She's acting perfectly normal. She looks great. She just keeps puking. If she wasn't puking, I'd be singing NV's praises, because she looks so much better than she did a month and a half ago.

werebear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Since actual meat doesn't upset her stomach, I'd take the clue she is giving you. I'm not familiar with that food-- is it dry? Dry is always harder to digest.

Is there a problem with canned?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try the cal natural ... how old is she ???

Will she eat canned???

Did the vet run a SENIOR panel if she is over 7??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenc511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Werebear,

I would dearly love to get her to eat raw. Lucy already does. Unfortunately, she doesn't acknowledge anything but kibble as food. We will continue working on it. I also haven't decided if it would be better to try to get her on canned food before working on the raw, or just try to switch straight to raw. Either way is going to be a pain, so I almost think it would be easier to do the latter, cutting out a step.

Sharky,

1. She'll be nine in November.

2. She won't eat canned, as of yet. She's been here for a month and a half, and we had Connie's URI, Lucy's surgery ordeal, and Connie's continued vomiting, so I probably haven't tried as hard I should have to get her to eat canned. She doesn't even acknowledge it as food, and per her previous owner's information, she has never eaten canned food. They got her when she was 10 weeks old from her breeder (if the DOB is correct on her vet records).

3. We didn't call it a senior panel, but does that cover more than the T4, CBC, and superchem?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenC511

Werebear,

I would dearly love to get her to eat raw. Lucy already does. Unfortunately, she doesn't acknowledge anything but kibble as food. We will continue working on it. I also haven't decided if it would be better to try to get her on canned food before working on the raw, or just try to switch straight to raw. Either way is going to be a pain, so I almost think it would be easier to do the latter, cutting out a step.

Sharky,

1. She'll be nine in November.

2. She won't eat canned, as of yet. She's been here for a month and a half, and we had Connie's URI, Lucy's surgery ordeal, and Connie's continued vomiting, so I probably haven't tried as hard I should have to get her to eat canned. She doesn't even acknowledge it as food, and per her previous owner's information, she has never eaten canned food. They got her when she was 10 weeks old from her breeder (if the DOB is correct on her vet records).

3. We didn't call it a senior panel, but does that cover more than the T4, CBC, and superchem?
Yes usually it covers liver , kidney , Cbc , and some other stuff ( pardon me I should know)

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
T4, CBC, and SuperChem make up a senior panel from Antech, along with a fecal sample and a urinalysis if you want the whole shebang.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by cloud_shade

T4, CBC, and SuperChem make up a senior panel from Antech, along with a fecal sample and a urinalysis if you want the whole shebang.
okay what is in a superchem if you know??

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's a long list of things:

AST (SGOT)
ALT (SGPT)
Total Bilirubin
Alkaline Phosphatase
GGT
Total Protein
Albumin
Globulin
A/G Ratio
Cholesterol
BUN
Creatinine
BUN/Creatinine Ratio
Phosphorus
Calcium
Glucose
Amylase
Lipase
Sodium
Potassium
Na/K Ratio
Chloride
CPK
Triglyceride
Magnesium

There may be one other--this is from an older test.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the bloodwork you did included a T4, superchem and CBC, then I'd probably hold off for now (the only other test that comes to mind is a fPLI which looks at pancreatic enzymes). A fecal might not be a bad idea to rule out parasites, but I think those usually cause problems on the reverse end. I'd try the food change first since she wasn't having the problem at the shelter. Also, is she puking up digested or undigested food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JenC511

So, do we need more bloodwork done? Fecal? Urinalysis?
FIND OUT exactly which tests were done... At my vet it is called a SENIOR panel plus thyroid ... wheares at cloud shades vet it is a superchem... that pretty much covers all .... Fecals are wise to get yrly and any time a baby is sick