Today is the day..Gonna quit..Need support..

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I know I have talked about this before on here. But today is really the day. I am gonna quit smoking and I am gonna need some support. I got a starter pack of nicotine gum to help me till payday when I will get a bigger pack. So I am gonna need major support. Last time I did really great for 2 months then had a slip and hubby told he was disappointed in me and thats all she wrote. Because I felt like a failure and started back smoking and hid it for a year than started smoking around the hubby again. I really wanna make this quit stick this time. So I really need someone to help me through the hard times. And talk me out of smoking when I am tempted. I have a few more left in the pack and then thats it.

Why am I quitting? For myself, for my health, for the health of others around me and yes because they are too darn expensive. So wish me luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I know this is gonna be so so hard. But I quit caffeine in June, lost 30lbs surely I can do this. I know I can so this with help and support. Plus over at Nicorette they have a reward thing setup to help people quit. Which I think will be perfect for me. Because that is what I did to help me lose weight. For every 100 or so piece you buy you log it into the website. And you get coupons of increasing amounts on your next pack. About mid way through you get a coupon plus a 25$ gift card and at 750 pieces you get either a 50$ card or an IPod or several other things to choose from.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being able to lose the weight I am hoping will give me a leg up in this. I know the advantages of exercise (stress relief and releases chemicals to make you feel better), and eating right instead of bingeing when I have a craving. Plus hubby works days now so no having smokes laying around the house. And at night I can just go to bed if the cravings get bad.

So here is the game plan:
  • come here when craving and needing support
  • go for a walk or use a tape when cravings get bad
  • chew nicorette gum
  • chew sugar free gum
  • chew on straws for the hand/mouth fixation
Anything else I am missing to help?

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I did puzzles, it kept my mind busy, and at that time I would go for a long bike ride, until my legs burned, so I was tired

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I am thinking anything to keep my mind and hands busy. Clean out a closet, clean the yard, clean a car, just anything to keep busy.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Drinking a glass of water helped me when my cravings hit
doused them so to say
I've been quit since January 1st
only thing that saved me was I absolutely could not afford it anymore and when I was hit with a really bad craving I was too lazy to go to the store

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I quit July 2, 2006. I did all the things you said (except I used the lozenges, not the gum). When the cravings hit, I remembered two things:

*Cravings pass after about 30 seconds. They might come often, but they do pass.

*It is a choice...no matter how tempted I was, it would always be a choice to go buy a pack and take that first drag. I chose not to do it. You do have control over whether or not you smoke...it is your choice.

Once I quit, I never considered it an option to buy more cigarettes...it was hard...really hard, but I made the decision at the beginning to never go buy cigarettes. And I never did.

You can do this...you are stronger than your addiction.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
10 years ago when I quit I found alt.support.stop-smoking (remember usenet?). Having a support group was invaluable even though I didn't post, I spent hours reading what others were going through. I did find one "quit buddy" there and we kept in contact by email, holding each other accountable. We beat that old "nicodemon" together. I am pleased to say that I never "slipped" and haven't had any desire to smoke since.

I heartily recommend finding a "quit buddy".
I'm not going to wish you "luck" because luck has nothing to do with it. You will do it; just remember - there ain't no such thing as just one!

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
question for those that have quit. How long does it take for the worst of the withdrawls to stop? Also when I wake up and after meals is the worst for me wantig a smoke. What can I do at those times to help me get past that?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quit social smoking about 5-6 years ago. The one thing that helped me was exercising, like a brisk walk or a jog. You feel so much like crap and have breathing problems when I did have a relapse that the feeling really helped me work harder at quitting.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I quit cold-turkey in February 2005. I made the choice to do it because I thought of what better things I could put that money towards (at the time, it was that I could use the money as gas money to see my fiance, 200 miles away). I never went back. Well, on my 19th birthday, I took a drag of a friend's cigarette (after much peer pressure, I crumbled to it), and felt kind of crappy for doing so.

The friend I hang out with most at work is a smoker, and I usually go on break with her. I miss smoking sometimes, and Rob asks me why I would miss something like that. I cant really explain why I do, but when he asked me to buy lighters today for something he was doing, I thought about how I could go back in an instant. But still, I choose not to.

Good luck on quitting, I believe you can do it if you set your mind to it! Like clixpix said, it is a choice to go to the store and buy cigarettes, and it is a choice on whether or not you light one up.

ping

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the support.

After I started this thread I was looking online for quit smoking info and ran across a site with a e-book written by a guy that has been helping people quit since the 70s if not longer. I have just started reading it so I am not to far into it (its 222 pages long) but right now its talking about all the mind things that go with smoking. I believe the book is Never Take Another Puff. I got it off of whyquit.com

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just found this -- I'm so glad you're quitting, and the best support I can offer is the thread I just posted about my aunt. Bless you for quitting!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

question for those that have quit. How long does it take for the worst of the withdrawls to stop? Also when I wake up and after meals is the worst for me wantig a smoke. What can I do at those times to help me get past that?
Usually 72 hours for the junk to leave your system. After that it's habitual issues. You have to change your routine.

Juice helps too. Just be careful of water cause you can drink too much.
Try eating nuts.

catcaregiver

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ping

question for those that have quit. How long does it take for the worst of the withdrawls to stop?
Since you're using nicotine gum your withdrawls should be pretty minimal right now. You're mostly just battling the physical habits right now.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

Usually 72 hours for the junk to leave your system. After that it's habitual issues. You have to change your routine.

Juice helps too. Just be careful of water cause you can drink too much.
Try eating nuts.
how can you drink too much water
most people don't drink enough, and the recommended intake is 8 glasses which = 64 oz. and juice has lots of calories as do nuts, you don't satisfy your oral fixation with stuff that's gonna make you gain weight, that's why I suggested ice cold water

any way, I quit cold turkey, no gum, no lozenges, nothing, and the first 2 weeks were, oh how shall I say it, HELL. I would literally be sitting here at the computer drooling
for a cigarette, but like clixpix said, I made the choice not to go buy some and to be honest, that is what
I think is the key to quitting as well, choosing to quit. it is totally a matter of self-control, will power, etc. the cravings do pass. it took me a couple months to be around people smoking and not have a craving, but now I do it fairly regularly, and have no problems. I do still want to smoke, but I won't!