another cat food question

genny_0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Right now I feed my four (indoor only) cats Chicken Soup for adult cats. I have a six year and a two year old females, and two males who are one year old. The males are doing wonderful on it, perfect weight, their coats are silky and shiney. The older female is doing better on that food than any other food in the past, she's lost weight since I adopted her, and looks good. My problem is with the two year old female, she has gained a lot of weight, throws up every few days (mostly undigested food), her coat is ratty looking and dull.

I've been looking for another food that she might do better with. When the store was out of regular Chicken Soup, I tried the light version, none of the cats really liked it very much.

The store that sells a limited supply of so called "premium" foods had some samples of Innova, so I tried some of the Innova low fat food. I experimented with it filled the bowl with Innova and another with Chicken Soup, the heavy cat seemed to like the Innova Low Fat a lot, she ate it all.

The Innova is a lot more expensive than the CS, and even though the store had the samples, they don't have any regular bags on sale and don't even think they'll order it.

What other food is out there that is somewhere in between the price of Chicken Soup and Innova, that's also quality food, good for cats who are prone to being overweight?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
nutro
natural balence
solid gold
wellness ( price varies widely)
sensible choice
diamond naturals
costco s premium( this is cheaper than chicken soup)
all are good foods

exoticbabee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I like Nutro Natural Indoor. She's not very active so it's great for not putting on excess weight. Plus, her fur is so soft and silky since she started eating it.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
have you tried California natural Chicken & Rice? The store I buy it at also carries the Chicken Soup brand (as well as Innova) and they have samples of all of them. It's more costly than Chicken Soup (A 4 lb bag is around ($9.50 I think). My cats like it and they're doing good on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

genny_0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone.
The store carries Nutro products, that's what I feed my dogs. I've tried one of their types of dry food a few years ago, it have some of the other cats I had really smelly stools so I didn't buy it anymore. I don't know if all varieties do that, Chicken Soup seems to keep the smell down to a minimum.

They don't have Natural Balance, or Wellness. I haven't looked for California Natural yet.

We don't have Costco, Sam's Club, or pet shops around here, just a decent feed store. They told me they'd be willing to order some new brands, and if enough people bought it, they would get it on a regular basis. I was hoping they'd get more samples of other brands so I could try them out first.

It's not easy to find one variety to feed all the cats that makes them all healthy and happy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

genny_0

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

have you tried California natural Chicken & Rice? The store I buy it at also carries the Chicken Soup brand (as well as Innova) and they have samples of all of them. It's more costly than Chicken Soup (A 4 lb bag is around ($9.50 I think). My cats like it and they're doing good on it.
I pay $18.99 for an 18lb bag of Chicken Soup, they sell the 6lb bags for $8.99. They told me that if they ordered the Innova low fat it would cost around $13.99 for the 6.6lb bag.

When they had the samples of Innova for cats, they also had samples of California Natural Chicken and Rice for dogs. I have a dog with a sensitive stomach who tolerated the California Natural quite well so I asked if they might order that sometime. Maybe if they order it for dogs, they might get some of the cat food also. I didn't ask what the cost of the California Natural for cats might be, it might be a little less than the Innova even though it's all made by the same company.

jencat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Felidae and Eagle Pack Hollistic are a couple more foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by genny_0

Thanks everyone.
The store carries Nutro products, that's what I feed my dogs. I've tried one of their types of dry food a few years ago, it have some of the other cats I had really smelly stools so I didn't buy it anymore. I don't know if all varieties do that, Chicken Soup seems to keep the smell down to a minimum.

They don't have Natural Balance, or Wellness. I haven't looked for California Natural yet.

We don't have Costco, Sam's Club, or pet shops around here, just a decent feed store. They told me they'd be willing to order some new brands, and if enough people bought it, they would get it on a regular basis. I was hoping they'd get more samples of other brands so I could try them out first.

It's not easy to find one variety to feed all the cats that makes them all healthy and happy.
try the natural choice ./// likely you tried max ( it has wheat and some can be gassy
)

a miny email campaign has yeilded many of us lot s of samples... you may eant to try this route and then find out from the companys where the product is found