New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Former feral

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
The guy on the left was feral. I tamed him when he was about five months old. He spooked easily and ran from me for quite a while even after I had mostly gained his trust, then suddenly it was like something clicked and now it's a rare occasion when he runs from me. He's not a lapcat but I can pick him up and love on him and he purrs happily. His sister and brother are still feral, they are speutered/vacc'd and I feed them.

Not sure if this belongs here or over in pics but the Mods will take care of that if need be.

post #2 of 15
I love seeing pics of former ferals as I also have 3 in my home. He is beautiful as well as the white one. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady20 View Post
I love seeing pics of former ferals as I also have 3 in my home. He is beautiful as well as the white one. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! I went to see who your kitties are and found these two photos. They are a hoot! Lady is very beautiful.



post #4 of 15
Here is a picture of my cat Flash, she was formerly a feral cat until my family adopted her and she became and indoor cat. She looks just like my first cat we had that we put to sleep a few years ago, her and him could have been twins! She was the first cat we got after he passed away, and she worked hard to be friendly towards us and in the end got a home!

The first picture her laying on our back steps, she wasnt feral here sometimes we let her lay outside on our back steps for a few minutes. The second is her on our couch relaxing.

Our vet thinks she was abandoned as a young kitten or possibly fed by people as a young kitten and then was stopped being fed, but now she gets all the food she could ask for!


post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 
I'm sorry Keith I didn't notice your post until now. Flash is a pretty girl. She sure looks comfy there on the couch! Thanks for sharing her pics.
post #6 of 15
Kudos for adopting a feral

Wanted to adopt a feral but Butzie just won my heart. What I don't understand is why she wound up in a shelter when she must have had a home. She is now running my house as she should. Love her so much!
post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by butzie View Post
Kudos for adopting a feral

Wanted to adopt a feral but Butzie just won my heart. What I don't understand is why she wound up in a shelter when she must have had a home. She is now running my house as she should. Love her so much!
Thanks. He is the brother of http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145382 . There are lots of wonderful cats in shelters and many reasons why they end up there - mostly ignorant reasons. I went to Animal Control yesterday (I like to torture myself ) to visit the cats. There is one there that I just adore. Unfortunately I have a full house so I won't intentionally adopt any more cats for a while.
post #8 of 15
This is one of our ferals, Bo. She was born in the park, lived there for a few years, and then decided she wanted to come home with us! She's been with us several years now and has made the best tame cat ever.

As a kitten


Older and living in the park


Now tame and home


Proof you CAN tame an older feral!
post #9 of 15
these former ferals are just gorgeous!! I have 2 little kittens hiding under my bed right now, but as soon as they emerge I will be sure to get pics up!
post #10 of 15
You all give me a lot of hope and inspiration that one day my feral Mr. Butters might be tamed a bit more! I've really enjoyed this thread! I'm posting his picture. This isn't very clear as he only comes out at night...so far...*smile*

post #11 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseofCats View Post
This is one of our ferals, Bo. She was born in the park, lived there for a few years, and then decided she wanted to come home with us! She's been with us several years now and has made the best tame cat ever.

Now tame and home


Proof you CAN tame an older feral!
Bo is beautiful! Ya, older ferals can be tamed if you have the patience (and thick gloves?). I'd rather handle feral kittens. I'm just a bit intimidated by adult ferals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemae1277 View Post
these former ferals are just gorgeous!! I have 2 little kittens hiding under my bed right now, but as soon as they emerge I will be sure to get pics up!
I look forward to seeing your new babies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalicoBlue View Post
You all give me a lot of hope and inspiration that one day my feral Mr. Butters might be tamed a bit more! I've really enjoyed this thread! I'm posting his picture. This isn't very clear as he only comes out at night...so far...*smile*
Ya, most of my ferals show up at night too although a couple are showing up before sunset now. They come back in the morning for breakfast before sunrise too.
post #12 of 15
Thread Starter 
Well, just when I say he's not a lapcat what happens? For the first time the other night Murphy comes over to me and crawls up into my lap and asks for attention! I was shocked! I have had him in my home for nine months and he has never seeked out attention. Ok, so I thought, this is a fluke; then he does it again two more times! Each time he did it he proceeded to mark me with copious amounts of kitty spit. I'm not sure what all this new attention seeking means but I do know for sure that I am thoroughly his LOL.
post #13 of 15
Great news about Murphy! Yeah, sounds like he's got himself a Person - kudos to you.

One of my former ferals (Siggy) is a drooler. When I'm petting her and we're really into it, you know, she drools like crazy. Murphy sounds like he might be of the drooling persuasion - consider it a shower of love, and keep a tissue handy!
post #14 of 15
I just saw this thread right now and just wanted to comment because he is such a handsome guy!

Bless you for taking him in and continuing to feed his siblings.
post #15 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat52 View Post
One of my former ferals (Siggy) is a drooler. When I'm petting her and we're really into it, you know, she drools like crazy. Murphy sounds like he might be of the drooling persuasion - consider it a shower of love, and keep a tissue handy!
I'm not so sure it was actually drooling, he was just making sure he marked me really good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lioness View Post
I just saw this thread right now and just wanted to comment because he is such a handsome guy!

Bless you for taking him in and continuing to feed his siblings.
That's sweet of you. Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Caring for Strays and Ferals