I need ideas please!!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As many of you know I have a 18 1/2 yr old cat.
He is in amazing health for a cat his age!!!
Anyhow the only hard thing with him is he doesn't use a litter box and hasn't used one for I bet a decade.
So he loves it outside so late this spring he started sleeping out in the garage.
He loves the garage-many mornings I open the door from the house and he is sitting in a window (which is at least 5 ft off the ground)

But its getting cooler outside. I had him in the house last week overnight-he usually sleeps on a kitchen chair and yes there was poop in the kitchen.

I can't shut him in the basement overnite as that is where the litterboxes are located. Do I try to block off the kitchen so he can't go into other rooms (and try pee or poop???). Do you think puppy pads would work.
I have some time but if anyone has ideas that would be great!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

As many of you know I have a 18 1/2 yr old cat.
He is in amazing health for a cat his age!!!
Anyhow the only hard thing with him is he doesn't use a litter box and hasn't used one for I bet a decade.
So he loves it outside so late this spring he started sleeping out in the garage.
He loves the garage-many mornings I open the door from the house and he is sitting in a window (which is at least 5 ft off the ground)

But its getting cooler outside. I had him in the house last week overnight-he usually sleeps on a kitchen chair and yes there was poop in the kitchen.

I can't shut him in the basement overnite as that is where the litterboxes are located. Do I try to block off the kitchen so he can't go into other rooms (and try pee or poop???). Do you think puppy pads would work.
I have some time but if anyone has ideas that would be great!!
If he's used to going potty outside, you may want to take some cat grass (most pet stores sell it in small square containers- maybe get a few of them. and put in it in a wide litter pan....he will like the texture and it my encourage him to use the litter pan
put a little safe soil in the bottom and maybe that will help?
(sorry, that may not be helpful!)

You may also try using some Cat Attract litter to coax him back to the litter pan -that stuff was SUCH a huge help when Jasmine was having issues going potty outside of the litter pan!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
cat attract make a senior litter ... I would try that or sand

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lots of sand and I'll also look for the cat attract litter.

Thanks!!

BTW when he poops outside-he is just like a dog than a cat!!