Will Kitty Be Cold?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to save on heating bills; so my house is about 60-65 degrees Fahrenheit most of the time. (15 degrees C.) I bundle up in a sweater; but I see the cats sit on fluffy things, tuck their paws in, and bunch up. I know this is a reaction to the cold; but is this their version of putting on a coat, or their version of saying, "I'm uncomfortable; turn the heat up"?

Weirdly enough, the cause of my economizing is the cats' vet bills... both cats ended up having to be rid of every parasite in the book, plus Tiny's neutering, plus Baby's ears! My mom used to turn the heat down all the time--I remember it being 50 degrees indoors--and we had a cat then, but I guess I didn't think about the cat...

Uh... so. Basically, is this a good idea? Or am I making my cats miserable?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In Canada we kept our house at 15c all winter, the cats were always fine. We had plenty of boxes/beds/rugs etc. for them to curl up on.

Originally Posted by Callista

I see the cats sit on fluffy things, tuck their paws in, and bunch up.
My cats do that too, and it's not cold here
My sisters boy Sylvester almost always tucks his paws in, his nickname is legless kitty.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, actually when cats do that, they're just doing their meatloaf impersonations. Seriously, though, cats are heat-seeking beasties so I provide lots of soft, warm "throws" on beds and such, for them to curl up in. That way, we're all happy.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its gotten chilly here too, but I was sure to put some nice fleece blankets on the couches & beds & one in each of their 3 kitty beds (yeah, they have 3 beds, for 2 cats
). That way they are nice and cozy
& if they aren't cold- they lay on the cold floor
I just like to be sure

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We haven't turned on your heat yet-its 62F in the house. The cats don't seem to mind (of course they are indoor/outdoor cats but now that the temps have finally turned cooler they want to be inside at night!!

As with the others they seem to like to sleep on my down throws on the sofa or find a sunny spot in the morning!!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I keep my place around 60-62 while I'm at work and at night. Always have and have never had any trouble with my cats!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since they can't really tell you where you understand how they personally feel I would say at least provide one heated cat bed that is always on so if they are cold they can get warmer. Lots of soft large blankets for them too... That would make me feel better about it at least.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How about getting a heat pad for the cats? I used to leave some heating on during the winter for the cats, not because it was necessary (it never gets really cold in my flat) but because Jaffa loves the heat and has a very thin coat. But now I just put a hot water bottle on the bed in a nice fluffy cover (not too hot in case they puncture it) plus a heat pad (keeps it's heat longer than the hot water bottle) so that he has something warm to snuggle up to if he's cold.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last winter John and I and our animals were living in a camper while the house was being built. We had two electric heaters, but it still never got any higher than 60-63 degrees in there. The kitties did just fine. I just made sure that there were a few extra blankets laying around for them, and at night they all just curled up in bed with us to keep warm. On the coldest days I did put out a heating pad so they could lay on that if they wanted to.

rockyzeus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i would not go below 65 because kitty could get cold keep some blankets and soft pillows around and kitty will find a warm spot also maybe keep a blind open where the sun comes in during the day and make a spot near there for kitty to get some heat

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

But Jazz, you have PERSIANS......
True enough! All cats have fur coats though. Excepting special breed.
I suppose even though cats are naturally outdoor animals, domestication may have rendered them a bit less equiped to handle cold. I just don't figure 60 or more to be cold. Espcially if they have a blanket and/or bed to curl up in. The heating pad seems like an ok option. As long as you know your cat won't chew on the electric cord. I guess I would ask your vet if cats can tolerate keeping the heat down to that level.
Anyone out there ever asked a vet this question?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Might be a slight problem if one has an older arthritic cat or dog.

The better question is, how can you people stand to have it that cold? I would be very achy, DH would be sick (it messes with his asthma if he gets cold in his sleep), and my reptiles would be in a rather dire situation. Our cats would be the only ones not to be really bothered by it.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Unless they are shivering, they are probably fine. Depends too on if they are long hair or short hair kitties and what type of retreats you have set up to help them stay warm. Cardboard boxes with lots of soft bedding work just fine, thermal cat beds are best because they only heat up when the cat is actually lying on them. Human type heating pads are a bad idea because their heat isn't even like a pet heating pad would be. Plus pet heating pads draw less current and are more energy efficient.

liza24

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was gonna say, those pet pads that keep the body heat of the pet to help them warm up are best. i keep my house at 60-65, and no one complains,lol

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they do snuggle with me at night--one or the other is usually curled up in the little spot between my ankles, and another one next to my pillow

I have two blankets on each of their window perches; Baby sleeps on the towels on the towel shelf (I always keep 'her' towel on top); and of course they are welcome to use my bed if they like. The window perches are really just big plastic boxes stacked up to the window; but they serve the same function (and work as storage space)... the sun comes in the window and when I pet them their coats are warm.

They are still doing the meatloaf thing, though! Baby curls up into a little ball a lot... she has the cutest habit of curling her tail round her paws, then sticking her nose under one paw... I don't know HOW she can be comfortable that way!

I have a space heater on now when it gets below about 65.Main heat's still off.

They're both young adults, in their second year. So no arthritis here.
If I had an older cat, I'd have got a heated bed already; but these youngsters seem to think my house is a racetrack and the best place in the world to sleep is on a bunch of towels!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Callista

They're both young adults, in their second year. So no arthritis here.
If I had an older cat, I'd have got a heated bed already...!
Why not get them a bed anyway, just in case they want it? At least they would have a choice...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Money issues--cat beds are expensive, and mine sleep on piles of blankets instead. But if I find one at an affordable price, I'll probably get it.

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats are little heat generators who have a much higher body temperature than humans. Due to their size, and the amount of heat they generate, if they have something insulated (a blanket, throw, etc.) to curl up in, they'll be absolutely fine. Last year during a several day power outage during freezing weather, most of use spent the time in our daylight basement curled up next to the gas fireplace. However, Eliza, not yet used to the new kitties, chose to stay upstairs where the temperature actually dropped to the mid-40s, but she was toasty warm because she crawled into our bed and got under the down comfortor. If you stuck your hand in there with her, you could literally feel the heat generated by her little 10 lb body! They're amazingly good at keeping warm so dont' worry about it.