Am I being too picky?

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi. I have always had and loved cats. Never did pay much attention too color of cats or even breeds. Just loved it no matter.
Right now we have 2 cats Abby (6 yr. neurtered male, red mackerel tabby DSH) and Callie (5 months old, spayed female, torbie DHS).
I have really gotten the kitty bug and this is what I want. 4 more kitty's: Female Red Classic Tabby with White, Male Blue (grey), Male Brown (sable, chocolate), and a Female Calico (white with Orange and Black patches). I am not in the breeding business/hobby or especially looking for a pure breed, CFA show quality cat. These cats that I am wanting could very well come from a shelter.
My question I guess is...am I being too picky about what color and sex I am wanting?
Is there anybody out there that decides they want a new kitty and says I want a male or female in just this color and pattern, then go looking for him/her? Or is it suppose to be that I want a new kitty and go looking for it and I will know it when I see it?
This is something I have just been thinking about. I don't have to have these kitty's right now and am willing to wait till I find the right one.
I know that breeders do this and need to do it and that is normal for them. But is it normal for me, just the Shelter, domestic, mixed breed cat lover?
Tell me what you think.....be easy on me...hehe. Thanks!

fostermomm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aloot of people come to us looking for a specific color and sex. Its totally normal. The only thing is sometimes people get so fixed on one cat that fits their idea of what they want in color but that wont fit into their family situation well. So dont just look for a color look for a cat that would do well in your home.

roxie225

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When we first decided we were going to get a cat we had decided we wanted a gray male. When we got to the foster home for the shelter kittens we didn't even make it past the first cage. Roxie had her little paws sticking out and we knew

She is definately not gray and not a male

Basically what I'm saying is you don't choose them, they choose you

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
With the exception of Bijou (wanted a blue-point Siamese very badly), I've always just let the kitty pick me or taken one that needed a home. I love black cats and I would probably tend to take black over another colour if the kitty "spoke" to me though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fostermomm

Aloot of people come to us looking for a specific color and sex. Its totally normal. The only thing is sometimes people get so fixed on one cat that fits their idea of what they want in color but that wont fit into their family situation well. So dont just look for a color look for a cat that would do well in your home.
when i got Chip, i was actually looking for either a blue or orange male... i did want a male, since i had never had one, but i ended up with a black male. his description was what sold him to me - non-dominant, declawed, hated the shelter so was living in a foster home. the descriptions of the males that fit my 'color' choices were not nearly as endearing & attractive. i thought he would fit into my 'harem' best, & he has done quite well [with the exception of my alpha, Cable & the newbie torbie, Firefox - but she is kinda pushy!].

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I find certain patterns and markings attractive, but all my cats (and dogs too) have chosen me. Now if I were going to adopt a purebred cat or dog, I might be more picky about the markings/coloring.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wanted a black, long-haired, green eyed spayed female declawed.

Um...

Hennessy's mostly white/cream, short haired, blue eyed, neutered male, with all his claws.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

I wanted a black, long-haired, green eyed spayed female declawed.

Um...

Hennessy's mostly white/cream, short haired, blue eyed, neutered male, with all his claws.
Well, he's so handsome it's easy to see how you were distracted!
How could you not want to take him home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, yes. I would never walk into a shelter....just look at the grey (example) kittens and pick one out...take him home JUST because he was grey. I would like to find a grey kitty that pops out at us and tell us that he is ours, and you know what I mean. Abby came from a friend of ours and Callie came from a shelter. And that was how we came to be with Callie, we walked in wanting and ready for another kitty (nothing certain in mind just a little female something) and there she was, just getting up from her nap, stretching and actually my daughter caught Callie's eye. Callie took a look at my daughter and had that "look, here I am. Let's go home" look. We love her so much and of course lovey to Abby too.

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's quite common for people to be attracted to a specific look/personality type in cats.

I wanted a dark spotted bengal with their characteristic completely mad personality and I've not been disappointed. I did have to do some thinking through to be ok with getting a purebred cat rather from a shelter but wanting that specific type (in addition to no kittens or indoor cats being available in the shelters I looked at) won in the end.

green bunny

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was originally looking for a silver or dark grey cat. It was always going to be male and a shorthair, and about 1 year old. I ended up bringing Loki home and he's an orangish cream and white! He just felt "meant to be". Honestly, there wasn't much selection at the Humane Society because it was a week after Christmas (I had gotten a gift card to the HS from my sister for a kitty
for Christmas), but he was there and that's all that mattered.

I wasn't seriously looking for another cat when I found Possum's picture online (yet I was still looking at adoptable pet photos near me
). He's definitely not what I was ideally looking for as he is white, light brown, dark brown, and black. I had arranged to meet him at the rescue's showing event at Petco (he wasn't usually brought because it upset him) because I didn't have a car or a license at that time. He was hiding under a blanket in a large cage, and he perked up quite a bit when I got there and pet him a bit, and acted somewhat differently when other people petted him. Later that day he came home to me, too.

Tricia

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No you are not being picky at all. People have perferences in color/sex. That's why when I was breeding my rex, I'd ask if they wanted M/F or a specific color. In most cases color didn't matter, but some wanted a male or a female.

I have certain color preferences and will not take just any cat if its not what I really want

When we were looking for the Ocicat, DH only wanted a chocolate spotted; I'd have been happy with the same or a chocolate-silver. We both wanted a male. I had breeders email with "we have a chocolate-silver female", etc. I specifically told them what we were looking for.

We didn't just settle - we got what we wanted (and then some). My next Oci will be a chocolate-silver, cinnamon-silver, or cinnamon (and another male). I will wait to get what I want.

Works the same way whether you adopt from a shelter or a breeder - keep looking till you find what you really want.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hollow

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replys. I do feel better about not sounding so picky. Gee, I want what I want, is that so bad? I don't think so. And probably will end up like the rest of you and get something totally different anyway...hehe.
And oh, Green Bunny (Possum is my father's nickname) I will be at your house sometime tommarrow to steal Possum away from you....he's a beaut!
mmm...as a matter of fact I will be around to each of you to get all your kitty's.
Thanks.